Teacher has kids tasting flavored condoms in class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whatever it takes to get anyone to use condoms. yes, "sweetie" seems inappropriate, and that should be the central issue here of what is and what isn't appropriate behavior for a teacher. instructions on condom usage -- in addition to other methods of birth control, discussions on the emotional heft of sexual acivity, and the benefits of abstinence -- are absultely crucial towards raising sexually healthy teenagers.

on a side note, what i've said to teenagers who've asked me as an adult, and what i would say to my child should i one day have one, would be to wait on sex until you're out of high school. you only get to be a kid once, there's a whole lot going on in your life, why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

funny how you guys have pointed out the political incorrectness of the use of the word 'sweetie'. ;)

I'n many cultures, especially the south, it has no real meaning. Kind of like sug, hon, etc... it's just something adults call children.

Strike the sweetie, serve up more condoms.

bonosgirl84 said:
all of this joking is irritating.

the teacher was wrong. "have a little fun?" WTF?? she's fifteen!

if an instructor said that to my daughter (who will be that age in a few years) he would be out of a job.

If an instructor said that to my daughter, I'd beat him up. And I'm not joking.

Oh crap, how did I get in Free your mind? I told myself I would never post in here again! I think another thread started somewhere else and ended up here - that or I'm just not awake yet!

I think what's really bad about this is not so much that the teacher told the girl to taste the condoms, but he taunted her and embarassed her in front of the class. That teacher is a bully. Too many teachers are like that

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
what i would say to my child should i one day have one, would be to wait on sex until you're out of high school. you only get to be a kid once, there's a whole lot going on in your life, why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

ah, yes. parenting is easy - until you have kids. ;)

MadelynIris said:
funny how you guys have pointed out the political incorrectness of the use of the word 'sweetie'. ;)

I'n many cultures, especially the south, it has no real meaning. Kind of like sug, hon, etc... it's just something adults call children.

I was going to make a comment about this, myself. Here in Newfoundland, people often use the words "my love" and "my darling" in normal, everyday conversation. It doesn't have any real meaning attached to it. For instance, people will say something like "How you gettin' on, my love?" and it doesn't mean they're referring to you as their love. There are plenty of teachers at my school - both male and female - who use the term, and no one thinks anything of it.

Here is a different perspective on it......

Would the word "SWEETIE" have been offensive if the teacher was female?

Being a male teacher in this day and age means you have to be EXTRA careful so that you are not casting even the shadow of impropriety on yourself. The words sweetie would not be in my vocabulary if I wanted to be teaching very long.

OMG !!! how funny. Jennifer why dont you cum up and show us how to lick the flavored rubber, hey, and if ya like the taste ill give you and eric some so friday after the game you can use them, you know, to get a better taste. LOL

I can understand showing them to the class, but I find licking them a little over the top. Not to mention pressuring/corrupting a young girl into it.

I guarantee you that if I a male teacher call enough female students sweetie, eventually there would be some type of accusation.

It is a stupid choice of words.

Would it bother you to be called sweetie and pressured into tasting a flavored condom in front of the rest of the class? It would certainly bother me.

If that is indeed what he said, he should have chose better wording. Other than that there is nothing wrong with this in sex education class. Condoms do still have a stigma. You can educate, teach about abstinence, you can do everything you can short of tying your children up in the basement till they're 18 and still there are those that will have sex. Ignoring this fact will only cause your teenagers harm. This does not make anyone a pervert.

If I was ignoring that fact, I'd be totally against sex ed. I think sex ed is good when it teaches the risks of being sexually active and benefits of abstinence. There needs to be a piece of mind for everybody, and those who will have sex anyways need to know what they're getting into.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
If that is indeed what he said, he should have chose better wording. Other than that there is nothing wrong with this in sex education class. Condoms do still have a stigma. You can educate, teach about abstinence, you can do everything you can short of tying your children up in the basement till they're 18 and still there are those that will have sex. Ignoring this fact will only cause your teenagers harm. This does not make anyone a pervert.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

the perverts are the ones who preach abstinence at the expense of protection, and then blame teenagers when they wind up pregnant or crawling with STDs.

i don't know what i'd do without condoms. i'm so thankful that i was taught how to use them *properly* -- i'd imagine that most condom failure comes from improper usage due to ignorance (or being blind drunk).

I didn't claim that bringing condoms in a classroom made anyone a pervert. I do however feel that it's perverted to force a woman into a sexual act, and this teacher wasn't far at all from crossing that line.

When I was in 8th grade my male chemistry teacher called me 'motor mouth' for the entire school year because I whispered the page number to the new girl in class. It was annoying but I don't remember whining about it to my parents, but this was pre-PC days. I grew up in the south where 'sweetie' is freely tossed around. It isn't necessarily a smarmy thing for a male teacher to say to a female teen student; it could be, but isn't necessarily. It think it all depends on the context, intonation, and the relationship already established between the teacher and the student. In this case, we don't know. But based on what's given in the article, there is nothing there that to me communicates any kind of force, humiliation, mocking or inappropriate behavior. I think being called motor mouth is much worse, but that's just me.

martha said:
Even in the article, there's no evidence that that happened.
I didn't claim it was a forced sexual act, but I did say that it wasn't far from it. Personally, I'd want to vomit if a teacher tried pressuring me into licking a flavored condom in front of everyone. That would pretty humiliating for some people, believe it or not.

y treating sex so lightly I don't believe they're helping anyone.

And I hate the misconception that condoms make sex "safe". Yeah they help, but sometimes not enough. I'd know.

martha said:
You're still assuming that you know that's what happened.
If this article is truthful, I believe there's reason to debate it. Nobody can trust the news entirely, it's often exaggerated, but in a cold world like we live in now, I believe bad things happen.

Back
Top Bottom