"Talking to ghosts may skew younger than talking to God"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I found this on www.relevantmagazine.com:
"Here's an interesting quote from CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves, on why Joan of Arcadia was cut in favor of Ghost Whisperer—"I think talking to ghosts may skew younger than talking to God."

I heard people are going to www.cbs.com and making complaints about the show being axed. I thought the show was winning awards and doing well? :shrug: I know my wife is upset about this. :mad:

Do you think Moonves is right?

Talk amongst yourselves . . .

it's all about the desired demographic. advertisers want kids, because kids haven't yet made up their minds about what kind of toothpaste they will buy, what car they like to drive, what kind of jeans they like best ... adults, by the time they're 30 or so have an identity, they know what type of toothpaste they like (i like mentadent, i'm not switching), so they are less easily swayed by advertisting than a 15 year old would be who hasn't decided what kind of toothpaste he wants to "identify" with.

again, the media is neither liberal nor conservative -- it is market driven.

of course, i'm sure some will read this as some kind of liberal conspiracy, that it's an endorsement of witchcraft or something, but really, it's all Madison Avenue -- you know, the big businesses who benefit so much from Bush tax breaks, corporate welfare, etc.

I see what you're saying and I know it's all driven by advertising (so is my biz unfortunately). I just thought it was a funny quote and I don't understand why a network would cancel a show that was popular and has won awards. I've only seen a couple episodes myself, so I'm not claiming to be a huge fan or anything, I just found this interesting. (My wife on the other hand is a big fan.)

Irvine511 said:
of course, i'm sure some will read this as some kind of liberal conspiracy, that it's an endorsement of witchcraft or something, but really, it's all Madison Avenue -- you know, the big businesses who benefit so much from Bush tax breaks, corporate welfare, etc.

I saw it more as a reflection of the direction of our society. Now more than ever, parent are abdicating the spiritual growth and development of their children with the "Let them decide for themselves" battle cry.

I would say all children have a spiritual hunger and will fill it with what ever is provided - whether it is their parent's religion or the myriad of beliefs that are circulated in society.

If there is more of an interest in "talking to ghosts" for the younger generation, it could be from their desire for spiritual feeding.

Actually, the PAX channel is still going. I've never actually watched it, but I know this because a local girl is going to be on some show and I'm supposed to do a story on it next week. :| Besides, not all good shows about God should be relegated to PAX. :wink:

I agree with nb's post. They're replacing one spiritual movie with another. It's sad that God is taking a back seat to meer ghosts.

nbcrusader said:

I saw it more as a reflection of the direction of our society. Now more than ever, parent are abdicating the spiritual growth and development of their children with the "Let them decide for themselves" battle cry.

I would say all children have a spiritual hunger and will fill it with what ever is provided - whether it is their parent's religion or the myriad of beliefs that are circulated in society.

If there is more of an interest in "talking to ghosts" for the younger generation, it could be from their desire for spiritual feeding.

it's a marketing decision.

i also think it's a misreading of "what the kids want" -- but that's just my opinion.

"Then they put Jesus in show business
Now it’s hard to get in the door"

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy God being "advertised" everywhere? I think is God is cheapened by this type of stuff.

Irvine511 said:
i think this new show will star Jennifer Love Hewitt's breasts.
that might have something to do with it.

I think that's it, sadly

I never watched Joan Of Arcadia other than small portions of it, but from what I hear it was a good show for teenagers/kids. I remember one episode dealing w/ her friend's Judaism that was quite good. I think it was her friend whose Mother was an alcoholic, I'm not sure.

I like Amber Tamblyn, I probably shouldn't admit this :wink: but I remember her from General Hospital.

I think Amber's much cuter than Jennifer. I'd much rather watch her. :wink:

Boobs and ghosts, huh?:eyebrow: Let's hope the ghosts don't have boobs. That'd be scary.

coemgen said:

Boobs and ghosts, huh?:eyebrow: Let's hope the ghosts don't have boobs. That'd be scary.

have you never heard of the evil
succubi and incubi

back on topic
i can empathize with your wife
i have had some of my favorite programs not renewed

coemgen said:
I don't understand why a network would cancel a show that was popular and has won awards. I've only seen a couple episodes myself, so I'm not claiming to be a huge fan or anything, I just found this interesting. (My wife on the other hand is a big fan.)

Awards mean nothing, ultimately. If audiences don't watch the award-winning show, then it will get cancelled. It has happened more than once.

These shows probably had mediocre ratings, but since CBS skews "older," they killed them just so they could try to appeal to younger people. It's business, after all.

Melon

Last I heard the show was doing well ratings-wise. That's my point. I'll admit I don't know the exact ratings, but as I understood things, it was doing well. Who knows though. :shrug:

i think CBS is trying to change. they're doing well right now, especially with the CSI franchise, so i wonder if they're not trying to move in for the kill and reinvent themselves as younger and hipper. heck, i'm still mad about the cancellation of "my so-called life." but, actually, that was more Claire Danes' fault.

the network i work for is trying to do that, and it kind of pisses me off -- they've so gotten away from what made them unique.

but it's all about competition. and this is why we've seen the decline of CNN and the ascent of Fox -- competition is bad for news, and it's bad for quality television.

watch more PBS. listen to more NPR.

I agree with you Irvine — we need to watch more PBS — I love PBS. NPR rocks too.

And yes, "My So-Called Life," was a great show.:wink:

Irvine511 said:
i think this new show will star Jennifer Love Hewitt's breasts.

that might have something to do with it.

Can you believe Pamela Anderson has a show devoted to, and named for, her breasts? :tsk:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom