Taking on Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
Billionaire Soros
takes on Bush

Ousting president ?central
focus of my life,? he says

By Laura Blumenfeld
THE WASHINGTON POST

NEW YORK, Nov. 11 ? George Soros, one of the world?s richest men, has given away nearly $5 billion to promote democracy in the former Soviet bloc, Africa and Asia. Now he has a new project: defeating President Bush.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/991865.asp?vts=111120030717

I wonder what the reaction will be to this announcement. Typically, when a wealthy individual gets involved in politics, they are scorned as trying to "buy the office".

I don't know, Soros has done some good things. He's also given money and moral support to the AIDS crisis and other problems. He seems like he's capable of acting on his own moral beliefs and isn't just supporting some sort of cause de jour. But of course that's just my opinion.

I'm all for his right to engage in this activity, but I'd feel more comfortable if he could articulate the replacement plan for Bush, instead of simply wanting to get rid of Bush.

Yeah, he has to offer something else than what Bush is doing right now. Does he have the right people around him? Can he convince people from other administrations (eg. Clinton's) to join him? I don't know...

Hope you Americans will vote the right man in the white house next year.
And IMHO, that cannot be Mr. GW Bush.

I personally will not be supporting Bush next year. I usually don't get active in campaigns this early because I get political burnout too easily. I'm afraid if I get involved now I'll be scorched to a crisp by Election Day. I almost can't vote in a primary anyway. Our primary is in June! The candidates have the nomination wrapped up by then! My vote in June of 2000 would have been a joke if I hadn't felt compelled to vote against Roy Moore for his judge's position--he was using the Ten Commandments thing for political gains, I didn't like it so I voted against him. He won anyway needless to say.:rant: :yell: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I don't want to comment too much, because I am more familiar with Soros and his works than a spectator.

This man put in a lot of money and effort into Eastern Europe. Dozens of people in the former Eastern Bloc were on his payroll - they were economists, scientists, etc. This was at a risk to themselves, because in the communist state, one was not supposed to have outside earnings. But his contributions have been quiet, yet significant. Much of the great thinking that has emerged out of Eastern Europe has been secretly supported by him through monetary subsidies. He really does put his money where his mouth is.

It's his money, if he wants to use it to defeat Bush, let him go for it. There are plenty of rich Republicans who give loads of money to the GOP. It's in their best interest, after all.

I read that article yesterday. I think it's commendable that someone is so passionate about anything that they will use so much of their own wealth, and of course give so much for charitable works.

Back
Top Bottom