Surgeon General Says Bush Politics Trumped Science. Duh.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Read it here.

Former Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona told a Congressional panel Tuesday that top Bush administration officials repeatedly tried to weaken or suppress important public health reports because of political considerations.

The administration, Dr. Carmona said, would not allow him to speak or issue reports about stem cells, emergency contraception, sex education, or prison, mental and global health issues. Top officials delayed for years and tried to “water down” a landmark report on secondhand smoke, he said. Released last year, the report concluded that even brief exposure to cigarette smoke could cause immediate harm.

Dr. Carmona said he was ordered to mention President Bush three times on every page of his speeches. He also said he was asked to make speeches to support Republican political candidates and to attend political briefings.

And administration officials even discouraged him from attending the Special Olympics because, he said, of that charitable organization’s longtime ties to a “prominent family” that he refused to name.

“I was specifically told by a senior person, ‘Why would you want to help those people?’ ” Dr. Carmona said.

The Special Olympics is one of the nation’s premier charitable organizations to benefit disabled people, and the Kennedys have long been deeply involved in it.

When asked after the hearing if that “prominent family” was the Kennedys, Dr. Carmona responded, “You said it. I didn’t.”

Heckuva job!

And administration officials even discouraged him from attending the Special Olympics because, he said, of that charitable organization’s longtime ties to a “prominent family” that he refused to name.

He wouldn't be allowed to see Dubya in the pole vault?

oh give me a break. this horse raddish. find me a real news item and let's talk. this is such bull.

struckpx said:
oh give me a break. this horse raddish. find me a real news item and let's talk. this is such bull.

You don't think the article is real, or that the issue just isn't worth talking about?

When did we get a new moderator in here telling us what is and isn't a news item worthy of discussion?

struckpx said:

It's only showing how close he US is to becoming something out of a George Orwell novel.

anitram said:
When did we get a new moderator in here telling us what is and isn't a news item worthy of discussion?

nowhere do i say it can't be discussed, i just don't believe it.

It was a pretty in depth report on NBC Nightly News last night :shrug: I believe Chip Reid reported it :nerd:

ETA: Not surprising at all, just par for the course for this administration. Shameful, really.

I think this part in particular:

he was ordered to mention President Bush three times on every page of his speeches

is hilarious because it really smacks of standard operating procedure during Communism.

And really it isn't surprising given what the NASA and NOAA former bigwigs testified to.

As of this post we have:

558 days
4 hours
45 minutes
55 seconds
until the end of the Bush administration. The world really can't wait that long.

Something about that timer isn't right :huh:

Oh well, it still gets the point across :shrug:

U2democrat said:
As of this post we have:

558 days
4 hours
45 minutes
55 seconds
until the end of the Bush administration. The world really can't wait that long.

I don't know what I'm more excited for, the next president or Indy IV.

It's pretty close, I'd say.

anitram said:
I think this part in particular:

is hilarious because it really smacks of standard operating procedure during Communism.

And really it isn't surprising given what the NASA and NOAA former bigwigs testified to.
Hey, it's only a theory!

martha said:

Because it's a hallmark of "true believer syndrome," and a quality noted in some of the most hardcore of partisan supporters--conservative and liberal alike.

In short, no amount of evidence contrary to their belief systems will ever be enough to shake their faith.

I have to admit that there was probably a time many years ago when I felt that way about the Democratic Party; that it could do no wrong. And every time I heard something bad said about it, I automatically had a retort back dismissing it.

Nowadays, I consider neither party worthy of "belief."

Bono's shades said:
I'm saddened by how not surprised I am by this article.

I find the article probable, if only because of how politically calculated and consistently detailed it is. They are the actions and activities not all that different from a corporate PR department.

Ormus said:

Personally, I find it shocking (and quite saddening) that so many otherwise intelligent and reasonable people don't reach that same conclusion.

Ormus said:

:up: I find a lot of left-leaning people feel this way. I don't find many conservatives who feel this way although that may be more because I don't know many conservatives anymore.

Observing the Democrats and Republicans from the outside, it becomes quickly apparent that they are both useless. One may be more corrupt and disgusting than the other, but still. Very disheartening indeed.

Back
Top Bottom