"Surely God is mad at America" .... Nope not Pat Robertson.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans _ the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

"I said, `What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, `I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side.' He said, `The thing we need to focus on as a community _ black folks I'm talking about _ is ourselves.'"

Nagin said he also asked: "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

The reply, Nagin said, was: "We as a people need to fix ourselves first."

Nagin also said King would have been dismayed with black leaders who are "most of the time tearing each other down publicly for the delight of many."

A day earlier, gunfire erupted at a parade to commemorate King's birthday. Three people were wounded in the daylight shooting amid a throng of mostly black spectators, but police said there were no immediate suspects or witnesses

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/16/D8F61AV80.html

Between Pat Robertson and the incompetant Mayor....

God is mad at us an awful lot...

Gee mayor....I wonder if God is mad at you?

God's Mad at Everyone! Droughts, Blizzrds, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Tornados, Hurricanes, Floods, LandSlides.

In fact God's taken out more people than Bush. But if he created us and he dosen't like what were doing, who are we to argue.

The theology of his message may be flawed, but at least he is trying to get the attention of his audience to move beyond self-destructive behavior.

Seriously,
the old testament is full
of examples of these beliefs

was the earth
some 2000-4000 years ago
a magical place where G-d affected
peoples daily lives with natural disasters, etc.
and even punished some for 400 years, etc

and now he has dropped us
like a child that has grown bored with a once favorite toy?

God would be mad if a Category 5 hurricane hit North Dakota. Beyond that, every disaster has been scientifically logical. Maybe next time you'll think twice about building a city below sea level smack in the middle of a hurricane zone.

God isn't angry. People are just stupid.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
The theology of his message may be flawed, but at least he is trying to get the attention of his audience to move beyond self-destructive behavior.

Couldn't the same be said of Mr. Robertson?

melon said:
God would be mad if a Category 5 hurricane hit North Dakota. Beyond that, every disaster has been scientifically logical. Maybe next time you'll think twice about building a city below sea level smack in the middle of a hurricane zone.

God isn't angry. People are just stupid.

:up:

Dreadsox said:
:scratch: Withdrawing from the Gaza was self-destructive behavior? Also, isn't there a bit of a difference between a black leader urging his own community to put its house in better order, and an American evangelical preacher insinuating from a distance that the Israeli PM deserved to suffer a stroke because God disliked his political agenda? I mean, if Nagin were saying Dick Cheney deserved to have a heart condition because of FEMA's failings or something, I could see your point, but I'm not sure it holds here. Ditto for some of Robertson's previous doozies, unless you're taking the relativistic stance that (mis)using "God's will" as a rhetorical weapon against black-on-black violence is no different from invoking it against gays, or school boards opposed to creationism. I believe nb's approach is the more generous and correct one: OK, so it's theologically inappropriate--not to mention poorly put--but give him points, at least, for attempting to further a cause which (I hope) we can all agree is an unproblematically worthy one.

---------------------------------------

BTW--I hope things are going better for you personally. I have been out for a month due to medical issues myself, and was saddened to see in reading back through what I missed that you apparently experienced yet another tragedy. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Last edited:
yolland said:

:scratch: Withdrawing from the Gaza was self-destructive behavior?

Robertson thought so:

[q]"He was dividing God's land, and I would say, 'Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the [European Union], the United Nations or the United States of America,'" Robertson told viewers of his long-running television show, "The 700 Club."

"God says, 'This land belongs to me, and you'd better leave it alone,'" he said.

[/q]

Oh, I know what Robertson thought. But I find it hard to believe that that is what Dreadsox thinks.

yolland said:
Oh, I know what Robertson thought. But I find it hard to believe that that is what Dreadsox thinks.

ah, i see.

i should read more closely next time -- forgive me, work has taken quite a toll lately.

still at work, actually, as editor #2 tries to figure out why the AVID hates me.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I had the flu last week, I wonder what I did to piss God off?:scratch:

You forgot to read from the Almighty KJV Bible five times a day! :happy:

yolland said:

I asked a question! LOL You are correct.

I hope you are feeling better. Things are good here in my world.

Irvine511 said:
still at work, actually, as editor #2 tries to figure out why the AVID hates me.

I had been trying to figure out why the AVID at work hates me too. Turns out the AVID representative who hooked it together did it incorrectly and did none of the required software optimizations. Fun!

Melon

melon said:

I had been trying to figure out why the AVID at work hates me too. Turns out the AVID representative who hooked it together did it incorrectly and did none of the required software optimizations. Fun!

Melon

this particular AVID wouldn't let me render timecode for the duration of the show over three layers of video (i guess that was hard for it or something, poor thing), so the real editor had to come here (at freakin' midnight) and render it all in shorter chunks (because i don't edit, but i do occasionally have to deal with the AVID) and then we tried to make QT files of the show that we were going to dump onto an FTP site for the composer (who's in the UK) but then we found out that, since we didn't compress the QT files, because that would have taken too long to create the files, that it would have taken hours upon hours upon hours to upload the QT files since this is a dinky little office in georgetown on a wireless router and there are no T1 connections to begin with.

:yell:

so around 4:30am we simply output a VHS with timecode, that's in NTSC, even though the show is in PAL, and so the composer is going to be off by a few seconds or more over the course of a 2 hour show. i'm going to take the freakin' VHS and bring it up to the Mothership (the HQ of the network i sort ofwork for) and i'm going to give my friend a 6 pack of Stella Artois and ask him to sneak it into the encoding station and post it to the FTP site.

all that work for naught.

so i'm fried. going on hour 24 of work.

:crazy:

Irvine511 said:
this particular AVID wouldn't let me render timecode for the duration of the show over three layers of video (i guess that was hard for it or something, poor thing), so the real editor had to come here (at freakin' midnight) and render it all in shorter chunks (because i don't edit, but i do occasionally have to deal with the AVID) and then we tried to make QT files of the show that we were going to dump onto an FTP site for the composer (who's in the UK) but then we found out that, since we didn't compress the QT files, because that would have taken too long to create the files, that it would have taken hours upon hours upon hours to upload the QT files since this is a dinky little office in georgetown on a wireless router and there are no T1 connections to begin with.

:yell:

Hmm...so did you get an error dialog box when this failed? I'd be interested in what it is, if you can remember.

As for the QTs...I tend to export lots of uncompressed video, and then put it into a ZIP or RAR archive for transport. A 30 GB video file can often be archived into a 5 GB or less file, interestingly enough. Of course, unless you have a high-end workstation, you won't be able to play it; but I just use such files to export and import between the various programs I use...

...but even then, when you're dealing with deadlines and a less-than-ideal wireless router, that process can be a bit time consuming.

so around 4:30am we simply output a VHS with timecode, that's in NTSC, even though the show is in PAL, and so the composer is going to be off by a few seconds or more over the course of a 2 hour show. i'm going to take the freakin' VHS and bring it up to the Mothership (the HQ of the network i sort ofwork for) and i'm going to give my friend a 6 pack of Stella Artois and ask him to sneak it into the encoding station and post it to the FTP site.

all that work for naught.

so i'm fried. going on hour 24 of work.

:crazy:

Have you considered making a PAL DVD? Just a thought. If your company has someone there who can make DVDs, they should know how to do it, and most professional DVD authoring software (i.e., Adobe Encore and probably DVD Studio Pro) should have an option for that. Depending on your version of AVID, you should be able to export directly to an MPEG2 file. Funny enough, my new version doesn't have that.

Good luck. Hope it all works out.

Melon

Dreadsox said:

OF course - just trying to grab attention.

If Robertson had made this statement, this place would have gone nuclear.

But, I guess we tiptoe around the elephant in the room in certain cases :shh:

Yup, I guess God hates us.

We gotta fight back! We're the greatest country on Earth, not even God can bully us.

I say we add him to the "Axis of Evil!" What's the worst that could happen?

New Orleans Mayor Apologizes for Divisive Comments

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said on Tuesday that if he could, he would take back some of the comments that he made during a Martin Luther King Day rally a day earlier.

"I used some analogies and probably didn't hit the mark on my message. But I never intended to offend anyone," Nagin told FOX News. Referring to his critics, he said, "I think if they look at the entire context of what I said, they'll understand the points I was trying to make."

Critics lashed out at Nagin, who said the violence and fighting after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita was the result of God's anger at the United States.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," said Nagin, while he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves," he said.

Nagin's speech at the rally also used a statement that God wanted New Orleans to be majority African-American.

"If I could take anything back, that's what I would take back," Nagin told FOX News.

nbcrusader said:
OF course - just trying to grab attention.

If Robertson had made this statement, this place would have gone nuclear.

But, I guess we tiptoe around the elephant in the room in certain cases :shh:

Can anyone say conservative paranoia?

As I write this the slam Hilary Clinton thread is close to the top of the page whereas hardly anyone has commented on a speech Al Gore made the other day (widely regarded as an excellent speech althogh I haven't heard it.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom