Supreme Court Vacancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:
That's not my hope; speak for yourself (and 99 percent of FYM).

But this 1 percenter is glad to see the opportunity to replace O'Connor.

You know, it isn't even abortion that I'm worried about. It's all the baggage that goes along with those kinds of judges, and I think that many in that "1%" would be happy to see America turn into Iran, just so they could get rid of abortion. And the funny thing is? It still wouldn't stop many people from taking a trip across the border one day and still having one.

Melon

melon said:

I think that many in that "1%" would be happy to see America turn into Iran, just so they could get rid of abortion.

Yeah, right, melon. No way.

I admire her because I think she was honestly not adhearing to any ideology in particular. She looked at the issues on an issue by issue basis.....I think her record deomonstrates this.

That is what I hope for in a new justice.

Dreadsox said:
I admire her because I think she was honestly not adhearing to any ideology in particular. She looked at the issues on an issue by issue basis.....I think her record deomonstrates this.

I think that's something we can all agree on.

80sU2isBest said:

Yeah, right, melon. No way.

i wonder if those -- not necessarily you, 80s -- who care so much about abortion would even notice if we were to turn into a Christian version of Iran along to way to banning abortion.

secularism ... secularism ... secularism ...

nuclear arms in the hands of a theocracy is never a good idea.

80sU2isBest said:

Plus, this thread needed a dissenting voice.

I was wondering where the dissenting opinions where?:wink:

She was fair and a moderate something our government is sorely lacking these days. I'm not looking for leftists to take over but this country is losing it's balance. We need more moderates in washington.

80sU2isBest said:

Plus, this thread needed a dissenting voice.

you don't hope for a reasonable conservative? okay...

I agree with what Dreadsox said.

VertigoGal said:

you don't hope for a reasonable conservative? okay...

I don't want what most people in this forum consider a "reasonable" Republican. Calling someone a "Reasonable" Republican in this forum is exactly the same as saying "Moderate" or "Liberal" Republican. What I want is a Conservative Republican, and Conservative Republicans are not considered by most in this forum to be "reasonable".

80sU2isBest said:
and Conservative Republicans are not considered by most in this forum to be "reasonable".

Certainly not the ones that Bush pick.

Melon

Irvine511 said:

i wonder if those -- not necessarily you, 80s -- who care so much about abortion would even notice if we were to turn into a Christian version of Iran along to way to banning abortion.

You can stop wondering. Every conservative Christian I know would want to secede from the union if the US started to become like Iran.

And hey, I live in Texas, where it's still legal to secede.

80sU2isBest said:
Every conservative Christian I know would want to secede from the union if the US started to become like Iran.

They don't want Muslims running the show, but I would find it to be a stretch if they would secede if their religion became the theocracy.

Melon

melon said:

They don't want Muslims running the show, but I would find it to be a stretch if they would secede if their religion became the theocracy.

Melon

Theocraacy = bad, even for Christians. A theocracy would try to shove religion down unwilling people's throats. None of my friends would want that.

80sU2isBest said:

Theocraacy = bad, even for Christians. A theocracy would try to shove religion down unwilling people's throats. None of my friends would want that.

i have noted this before

What you describe as your "group of friends" is not what this Administration represents and panders to

Melon is right the one's in the driver's seat would be happy with their values imposed on others, just like the conservatives in Iran.

My question is:

Will Bush do the recess appointment of Bolton to the U N?

Will he bypass the Senate's right to "advise and consent"?

If he does this
he is even stupider than any of us could imagine.

to the 1%ers out there: placing aside the issue of abortion, what laws would you hope to see a Conservative Republican nominee help overturn? what will a Conservative offer you that a Moderate won't?

Irvine511 said:
to the 1%ers out there: placing aside the issue of abortion, what laws would you hope to see a Conservative Republican nominee help overturn? what will a Conservative offer you that a Moderate won't?

I'm not really sure, but it doesn't matter to me anyway, because I can't put the abortion issue aside. Remember, abortion is THE big issue for me. This is what I have been waiting for.

80sU2isBest said:

I'm not really sure, but it doesn't matter to me anyway, because I can't put the abortion issue aside. Remember, abortion is THE big issue for me. This is what I have been waiting for.

Although I personally feel like it's over-dominating politics right now, I can see why abortion rights are a much more urgent issue to those against than those in favor of abortion rights.

It is scary to me to think that a decision of this importance would be made on ONE issue.

I think that is the wrong way to go on both sides.

nbcrusader said:

Even secular values

you misunderstand secularism, or misunderstand that word in order to create a false choice between religious values vs. secular values.

secular values are the absence of the endorsement and imposition of *any particular values* by the government.

it is secularism that allows you to practice religion as you see fit.

Damn. This is scary. I am opposed to Roe vs. Wade being overturned. I'm personally against abortion, but I'm the only member of my own family who is. I don't want to tell someone else what their morals should be.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Damn. This is scary. I am opposed to Roe vs. Wade being overturned. I'm personally against abortion, but I'm the only member of my own family who is. I don't want to tell someone else what their morals should be.

verte76,
If abortion is murder, as prolifers think it is, are you against telling people they can't murder?

Dreadsox said:

:up: to this. I can totally agree with you here.

Also, heh, funny...the reactions on the first couple of pages in particular from most of the people in this thread were the same kinds of reactions that occurred at another board I go to. So you guys aren't alone in your feelings.

Angela

This frightens me. I figured Rehnquist would be leaving soon, but I had no idea Justice O'Connor was considering leaving.

Anyone in Canada, the UK, or Ireland needing a roommate? :wink:

Can the court act if she leaves before they have a replacement? An article on MSN says, "O’Connor, 75, said she will leave before the start of the court’s next term in October, or when the Senate confirms her successor. "
There is NOOOOOOOOOOO way they will have a successor cleared by October - heck I'll be surprised if Bush gets anyone through in the next 3.5 years. They filibustered some nominees that long in Bush's first term. So will she just leave and they might have tie votes? Or is she stuck until they have a replacement?

To the Democrats Of The United States Congress:

Please, do the country a favor and if Bush nominates the kind of narrow-minded fucktwits we all think he is going to - kick, scream, bitch, moan, cry, and put up the hardest, meanest, most determined, most stubborn fight you've ever put up for anything. There are HUGE issues at stake here that could be decided based on who gets to sit on that bench, in these two(soon it will be two) empty spots.

80sU2isBest said:

verte76,
If abortion is murder, as prolifers think it is, are you against telling people they can't murder?

I know you didn't address the question to me, but may I offer my opinion?

It's not murder. It's a horrible thing, but it's not murder. There are certain situations where it's neccessary. The ability of women to have that choice to make is one of the most important rights you can have. The government should stay the hell out of it. And democrats in congress should put up the fight of their live when Bush nominates whatever world-is-flat conservative he comes up with.

Back
Top Bottom