Sunday Dispatch Megathread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Dispatch.467

Sunday Dispatch.467

"My kingdom," said Jesus, "doesn't consist of what you see around you.
If it did, my followers would fight so that I wouldn't be handed over to the Jews.

But I'm not that kind of king, not the world's kind of king."

~John 18:36 (The Message)

Elizabeth_Barrett_Browning.jpg

a looker

Sunday Dispatch.470

Sunday Dispatch.470

They thought they were seeing a ghost and were scared half to death.

He continued with them, "Don't be upset, and don't let all these doubting questions take over. Look at my hands; look at my feet—it's really me. Touch me. Look me over from head to toe. A ghost doesn't have muscle and bone like this."

As he said this, he showed them his hands and feet. They still couldn't believe what they were seeing. It was too much; it seemed too good to be true.

He asked, "Do you have any food here?"

They gave him a piece of leftover fish they had cooked. He took it and ate it right before their eyes.

~Luke 24 (The Message)

on this note, and perhaps on the flip side of this coin, i recently read a quote that i won't source because it's off the top of my head, but here it is anyway:

"To philosophize is to learn how to die."

Sunday Dispatch.471

There are two great days in a person's life -- the day we are born and the day we discover why.

~William Barclay

no one remembers the day they were born, that birth is result of two other people having sex

the sex act is the 'why' one is born
discovering sex is an eventful day.

on this note, and perhaps on the flip side of this coin, i recently read a quote that i won't source because it's off the top of my head, but here it is anyway:

"To philosophize is to learn how to die."

The Roman philosopher, Cicero, is the source, I believe.

Those who apply themselves to philosophy in the proper
way are doing no more nor less than to prepare themselves
for the moment of dying and the state of death

– Plato.

that's the whole brutal joke, isn't it? we're self-aware. we become aware of the fact that we are one day no longer going to be. the contemplation of non-existence is terrifying.

Sunday Dispatch.472

Sunday Dispatch.472

I'm a rolling thunder, a pouring rain
I'm comin' on like a hurricane
My lightning's flashing across the sky
You're only young but you're gonna die
I won't take no prisoners, won't spare no lives
Nobody's putting up a fight
I got my bell, I'm gonna take you to hell
I'm gonna get you, Satan get you

Hell's Bells
Yeah, Hell's Bells
You got me ringing Hell's Bells
My temperature's high, Hell's Bells
I'll give you black sensations up and down your spine
If you're into evil you're a friend of mine
See my white light flashing as I split the night
'Cause if good's on the left, ['cause if God's on the left]
Then I'm stickin' to the right
I won't take no prisoners, won't spare no lives
Nobody's puttin' up a fight
I got my bell, I'm gonna take you to hell
I'm gonna get you, Satan get you
Hell's Bells
Yeah, Hell's Bells
You got me ringing Hell's Bells
My temperature's high, Hell's Bells

Hell's Bells, Satan's comin' to you
Hell's Bells, he's ringing them now
Hell's Bells, the temperature's high
Hell's Bells, across the sky
Hell's Bells, they're takin' you down
Hell's Bells, they're draggin' you around
Hell's Bells, gonna split the night
Hell's Bells, there's no way to fight, yeah
Ow, ow, ow, ow
Hell's Bells

~AC/DC

Sunday Dispatch.473

Sunday Dispatch.473

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

~C.S. Lewis

Sunday Dispatch.473

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

~C.S. Lewis

While I'm a great fan of C.S. Lewis, I think I must disagree with this quote of his.

First off, BOTH the robber baron and the moral busy bodies torment with the approval of their consciences. The former could care less that he is doing wrong,the latter doesn't realize they are doing wrong. BOTH will stop their torment provided that they get what they want.

But only with the moral busybodies can their be any hope of appealing to their reason, their very sense of morality.

Like a lot of the so-called wisdom floating around this day, Lewis's quote sounds true until you start to really think about it. It's appealing because it caters to our natural desire to do whatever we want with out anybody getting in our way.

-Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.

-And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-If we did a good act merely from love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? ...Their virtue, then, must have had some other foundation than the love of God.

-As you say of yourself, I too am an Epicurian. I consider the genuine (not the imputed) doctrines of Epicurus as containing everything rational in moral philosophy which Greece and Rome have left us.

- Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live.

-To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of nothings. To say that the human soul, angels, god, are immaterial, is to say they are nothings, or that there is no god, no angels, no soul. I cannot reason otherwise: but I believe I am supported in my creed of materialism by Locke, Tracy, and Stewart. At what age of the Christian church this heresy of immaterialism, this masked atheism, crept in, I do not know. But heresy it certainly is.

- It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

I find this quote to be interesting.

Unitarians use it to support their beliefs.

Those who denounce a trinity use it to support their beliefs.

Those who try and make our government a theocracy use it...

But really, what's the point?

Would it matter if Sarah Palin, Kennedy, Lady Ga Ga, Bob Dylan, or Bob Gates said the same thing?

I don't hold too much truck with these Sunday Dispatches, but Deep it is news to me that Jesus' teaching encompassed anything remotely condoning the raping of slave girls. Or free girls. Or whatever.

Sunday Dispatch.475

Sunday Dispatch.475

The World Is Not a Stage

Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding. When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself. You've seen them in action, I'm sure—'play actors' I call them— treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that's all they get. When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.

~Matthew 6:1-4 (The Message)

Sunday Dispatch.476

Sunday Dispatch.476

The odds against a universe like ours emerging out of something like the big bang are enormous. I think clearly there are religious implications whenever you start to discuss the origins of the universe. There must be religious overtones. But I think most scientists prefer to shy away from the religious side of it.

~Stephen Hawking

You find as you look round the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step towards the diminution of war, every step towards better treatment of the coloured races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized Churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its Churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.

~ Bertrand Russell

Back
Top Bottom