Sunday Dispatch Megathread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:55 PM
-Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.

-And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-If we did a good act merely from love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? ...Their virtue, then, must have had some other foundation than the love of God.

-As you say of yourself, I too am an Epicurian. I consider the genuine (not the imputed) doctrines of Epicurus as containing everything rational in moral philosophy which Greece and Rome have left us.

- Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live.

-To talk of immaterial existences is to talk of nothings. To say that the human soul, angels, god, are immaterial, is to say they are nothings, or that there is no god, no angels, no soul. I cannot reason otherwise: but I believe I am supported in my creed of materialism by Locke, Tracy, and Stewart. At what age of the Christian church this heresy of immaterialism, this masked atheism, crept in, I do not know. But heresy it certainly is.

- It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #142
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:55 PM
I find this quote to be interesting.

Unitarians use it to support their beliefs.

Those who denounce a trinity use it to support their beliefs.

Those who try and make our government a theocracy use it...

But really, what's the point?

Would it matter if Sarah Palin, Kennedy, Lady Ga Ga, Bob Dylan, or Bob Gates said the same thing?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Sunday Dispatch.474

The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.

~Thomas Jefferson
Yes, a simple doctrine, that permits the happiness devrived from the raping slave girls.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't hold too much truck with these Sunday Dispatches, but Deep it is news to me that Jesus' teaching encompassed anything remotely condoning the raping of slave girls. Or free girls. Or whatever.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Sunday Dispatch.475

Sunday Dispatch.475

The World Is Not a Stage

Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding. When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself. You've seen them in action, I'm sure—'play actors' I call them— treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that's all they get. When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.

~Matthew 6:1-4 (The Message)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:55 AM

Good thing Jesus never made a scene, guys!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.476

Sunday Dispatch.476

The odds against a universe like ours emerging out of something like the big bang are enormous. I think clearly there are religious implications whenever you start to discuss the origins of the universe. There must be religious overtones. But I think most scientists prefer to shy away from the religious side of it.

~Stephen Hawking
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life

There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works

~Stephen Hawking

Obviously Christians have to selectively quote nonbelievers to bolster their credentials.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.477

Sunday Dispatch.477

Hear the other side.

~Augustine
Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

You find as you look round the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step towards the diminution of war, every step towards better treatment of the coloured races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized Churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its Churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.

~ Bertrand Russell
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.478

Sunday Dispatch.478

Father of night, Father of day
Father who takes the darkness away
Father who teacheth the birds to fly
Builder of rainbows up in the sky
Father of loneliness and pain
Father of love and Father of rain.

Father of day, Father of night
Father of black, Father of white
Father who built the mountains so high
Who shapeth the cloud there up in the sky
Father of time and Father of dreams
Father who turneth the river and stream.

Father of grain, Father of wheat
Father of cold and Father of heat
Father of air and Father of trees
Who dwells in our hearts and our memories
Father of minutes, Father of days
Father of whom we most solemnly praise.

~Bob Dylan
Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.479

Sunday Dispatch.479

The road to a friend's house is never too long.

~Unknown
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:55 PM
not true. my friend tim, down in wellington, i always get lost trying to find his place.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.480

Sunday Dispatch.480

Little is much when God is in it.
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus' name.

~From the song by Kittie J. Suffield
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.481

Sunday Dispatch.481

At 8:58, UAL 175 "took a heading toward New York City.":

"At 8:59, Flight 175 passenger Brian David Sweeney tried to call his wife, Julie. He left a message on their home answering machine that the plane had been hijacked. He then called his mother, Louise Sweeney, told her the flight had been hijacked, and added that the passengers were thinking about storming the cockpit to take control of the plane away from the hijackers.

At 9:00, Lee Hanson received a second call from his son Peter:

It’s getting bad, Dad—A stewardess was stabbed—They seem to have knives and Mace—They said they have a bomb—It’s getting very bad on the plane—Passengers are throwing up and getting sick—The plane is making jerky movements—I don’t think the pilot is flying the plane—I think we are going down—I think they intend to go to Chicago or someplace and fly into a building—Don’t worry, Dad— If it happens, it’ll be very fast—My God, my God.

The call ended abruptly. Lee Hanson had heard a woman scream just before it cut off. He turned on a television, and in her home so did Louise Sweeney. Both then saw the second aircraft hit the World Trade Center.50 At 9:03:11, United Airlines Flight 175 struck the South Tower of the World Trade Center. All on board, along with an unknown number of people in the tower, were killed instantly."

The 9/11 Cell Phone Calls
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Uhm, what's the point of this? If you're trying to have a remembrance thread, it won't work by having the 9/11 phone calls. It made me sad and sick reading them.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Patriots Question 9/11 - Responsible Criticism of the 9/11 Commission Report
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie

From the link:

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility. I welcome it.

~John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Address Jan. 20, 1961
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sunday Dispatch.482

Sunday Dispatch.482

Christianity is just like all the other faiths in the world. They are all equally correct.

Christianity is not atheistic (belief there is no God) or polytheistic (belief in many gods) or pantheistic (everything is God). Therefore, it is not like Hinduism or Buddhism. And, therefore, neither can those three be equally correct because they contradict each other at their very foundations. Of the major monotheistic faiths (belief in one God), Judaism and Islam teach that Jesus of Nazareth was a mere mortal prophet; Christianity teaches that He is God. Clearly and concisely then, not all faiths are alike and not all can logically be correct. And if you’re deciding about the truth of Christianity versus other faiths, then you need ask yourself the fundamental question, Who then was Jesus of Nazareth? If He is God, if He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" as He claimed to be, then all other religions fall short. If you can prove that He is not God, that He was either a liar or insane, then you have an obligation to enlighten Christians of this new-found discovery and deliver them from their darkness.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:55 AM

They're all equally incorrect, how's that?