Sunday Dispatch Megathread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Dispatch.478

Sunday Dispatch.478

Father of night, Father of day
Father who takes the darkness away
Father who teacheth the birds to fly
Builder of rainbows up in the sky
Father of loneliness and pain
Father of love and Father of rain.

Father of day, Father of night
Father of black, Father of white
Father who built the mountains so high
Who shapeth the cloud there up in the sky
Father of time and Father of dreams
Father who turneth the river and stream.

Father of grain, Father of wheat
Father of cold and Father of heat
Father of air and Father of trees
Who dwells in our hearts and our memories
Father of minutes, Father of days
Father of whom we most solemnly praise.

~Bob Dylan

Sunday Dispatch.480

Sunday Dispatch.480

Little is much when God is in it.
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus' name.

~From the song by Kittie J. Suffield

Sunday Dispatch.481

Sunday Dispatch.481

At 8:58, UAL 175 "took a heading toward New York City.":

"At 8:59, Flight 175 passenger Brian David Sweeney tried to call his wife, Julie. He left a message on their home answering machine that the plane had been hijacked. He then called his mother, Louise Sweeney, told her the flight had been hijacked, and added that the passengers were thinking about storming the cockpit to take control of the plane away from the hijackers.

At 9:00, Lee Hanson received a second call from his son Peter:

It’s getting bad, Dad—A stewardess was stabbed—They seem to have knives and Mace—They said they have a bomb—It’s getting very bad on the plane—Passengers are throwing up and getting sick—The plane is making jerky movements—I don’t think the pilot is flying the plane—I think we are going down—I think they intend to go to Chicago or someplace and fly into a building—Don’t worry, Dad— If it happens, it’ll be very fast—My God, my God.

The call ended abruptly. Lee Hanson had heard a woman scream just before it cut off. He turned on a television, and in her home so did Louise Sweeney. Both then saw the second aircraft hit the World Trade Center.50 At 9:03:11, United Airlines Flight 175 struck the South Tower of the World Trade Center. All on board, along with an unknown number of people in the tower, were killed instantly."

The 9/11 Cell Phone Calls

Uhm, what's the point of this? If you're trying to have a remembrance thread, it won't work by having the 9/11 phone calls. It made me sad and sick reading them.

Sunday Dispatch.482

Sunday Dispatch.482

Christianity is just like all the other faiths in the world. They are all equally correct.

Christianity is not atheistic (belief there is no God) or polytheistic (belief in many gods) or pantheistic (everything is God). Therefore, it is not like Hinduism or Buddhism. And, therefore, neither can those three be equally correct because they contradict each other at their very foundations. Of the major monotheistic faiths (belief in one God), Judaism and Islam teach that Jesus of Nazareth was a mere mortal prophet; Christianity teaches that He is God. Clearly and concisely then, not all faiths are alike and not all can logically be correct. And if you’re deciding about the truth of Christianity versus other faiths, then you need ask yourself the fundamental question, Who then was Jesus of Nazareth? If He is God, if He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" as He claimed to be, then all other religions fall short. If you can prove that He is not God, that He was either a liar or insane, then you have an obligation to enlighten Christians of this new-found discovery and deliver them from their darkness.

Sunday Dispatch.483

Sunday Dispatch.483

Men spends their lives in anticipations, in
determining to be vastly happy at some point
or another, when they have time.

But the present time has one advantage
over every other: it is our time.

~Charles Colton

Be here, now

Sunday Dispatch.485

Sunday Dispatch.485

Well, I tried so hard to settle down
but, the Angel of Destruction keeps houndin' me all around

But I know in my heart
the leaves are shining in the sun
That we never really parted

Oh, help me, Lord
Please, help me, Lord, yeah,yeah,yeah
Help me to help myself
Help me to help myself

They say the Lord helps those who help themselves,
So I'm asking this question in the hope that you will be kind,
cause deep down I know
the leaves are shining in the sun,

Oh, help me Lord,
Please, help me Lord, yeah,yeah,yeah
Help me to help myself
Help me to help myself

-John Lennon

From what I have read, this was one of Lennon's last songs he wrote and recorded.

I believe, again from what I have read, that Lennon became a Christian not long before he was murdered.

Sunday Dispatch.485

Well, I tried so hard to settle down
but, the Angel of Destruction keeps houndin' me all around

But I know in my heart
the leaves are shining in the sun
That we never really parted

Oh, help me, Lord
Please, help me, Lord, yeah,yeah,yeah
Help me to help myself
Help me to help myself

They say the Lord helps those who help themselves,
So I'm asking this question in the hope that you will be kind,
cause deep down I know
the leaves are shining in the sun,

Oh, help me Lord,
Please, help me Lord, yeah,yeah,yeah
Help me to help myself
Help me to help myself

-John Lennon

From what I have read, this was one of Lennon's last songs he wrote and recorded.

I believe, again from what I have read, that Lennon became a Christian not long before he was murdered.

The above sentiments seem to contradict those expressed in the song 'Imagine'.

He was a complicated man, and it's entirely possible that he held contradictory opinions. Most intelligent people do, from my experience.

Sunday Dispatch.486

Sunday Dispatch.486

If we call a man a Christian doctor, deep sea diver, or dogcatcher, we'd expect that he did his work the best he could, maybe even with special care for excellence. When we ask if someone is a Christian writer/director, we might become suspicious that he was trying to spread not simply the love God has given him, but his own theories about God and that love. I studied theology; I have many theories. But I believe in none of them. I believe that the death of Jesus of Nazareth opened a door to love and life that are, quite literally, a union with God. I don't understand it, but Jesus didn't ask for my understanding. He just said "Follow me," gave up his life, and rose from the dead. So I try to follow. I'm not trying to spread my dogma. I'm trying to live my experience that God loves me, and the only way I can follow is by loving others.

I tell stories of love. People ask me why I make war stories, but what I make is love stories, and stories of war can put love in perspective: What do you love enough that you would lay down your life for it? How do you gain life by losing it? Secretariat is especially exciting because we ask those questions in a context without physical violence, in a way that a people of all ages can consider in a direct, personal, and exciting way.

~writer/director Randall Wallace, from the Christianity Today interview October 2010

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/movies/interviews/2010/runningtherace-oct10.html?start=4

fliesCTP.jpg

I don't think there were scribes writing anything down following him around.

I think what we call 'the scriptures' were written by people with an agenda to set up an organization
long after any person that those writings are based on was gone.

I already know about the Celts religious origins of what we now call Halloween. Some of the pumkin pics were a bit funny, though.

Want to know how trick or treating started? It had nothing to do with the Celts.

Sunday Dispatch.489

Sunday Dispatch.489

Pippin: "I didn't think it would end this way..."

Gandalf: "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path
...one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back,
and all changes to silver glass...and then you see it."

Pippin: "What? Gandalf? See what?"

Gandalf: "White shores...and beyond. The far green country under a swift
sunrise."

Pippin: "Well, that isn't so bad."

Gandalf: "No....no, it isn't."

~From the Film The Return of the King