Sunday Dispatch Megathread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Dispatch.645

Sunday Dispatch.645

How you gonna tell your story
Are you gonna tell it true
Either with or without reason
Love has paid the price for you

Oh, there's somebody waiting
Oh, there's somebody near
Oh, there's somebody waiting
Oh, there's somebody here

Love has paid the price for you

~The Call, Michael Been

Sunday Dispatch.646

Sunday Dispatch.646

Charles Templeton, in the 1940s, was a young famous Canadian evangelist. He founded the Youth for Christ Ministry and soon invited, the also young, but unknown, Billy Graham to join him. The two preached together in North America and across Europe during the later part of the decade. They became friends.

During this postwar period the death and suffering of World War Two began to trouble Templeton. The horrific images from the Holocaust caused him to begin to question how a God of love could allow such death and suffering. He recounted years later how he once saw a cover picture on Look magazine of a young African mother holding her dead child in her hand. The death caused by a severe drought. Why did God not send these people something as simple as rain?

Templeton discussed his increasing doubt in God and the Christian faith with his friend. He soon told Graham he was leaving God and abandoning his faith. He became an agnostic.

This troubled Graham and caused him also to go through a period of questioning and doubt. Templeton said later that Graham resolved this issue after spending a night in thought and prayer. Graham held to his faith in God.

The 2008 film Billy: The Early Years of Billy Graham highlights their relationship.

The two parted ways. Graham continued in evangelism. Templeton went on to careers as a cartoonist, newspaper editor, broadcaster and author. His most famous was his 1995 book A Farewell to God: My Reason for Rejecting the Christian Faith.

Despite the issue that divided them the two remained friends through the years.

"Billy is the most honorable man. I would say he is the most honorable man I have ever met. He is the only mass evangelist I would trust." ~Templeton, PBS interview 1995.

"We remain friends. I can call Chuck anytime and our friendship just takes off where it left off. I have great admiration for him. He is the most talented person I have ever known." ~Graham, PBS interview 1995

"A friend loves at all times."
~Proverbs 17

53c35c784c3bbd9d63b93580f2b13929816984a_r.png

136252c4c2b426b1312f50d600ed7bcc5535dfe_r.png

Sunday Dispatch.647

Sunday Dispatch.647

“Many people are leaving the church to find God.”
~Lenny Bruce

I can understand, I think, some of what Lenny Bruce meant when he said that. There are people who have left a church because
of confusion, mistreatment, abuse or other reasons. And some have just abandoned the idea of even trying to find a church to visit
or confused because of the vast variety of denominations and distinct doctrines.

Where to go in search of God with so many choices?
If this of interest, the next several Dispatches will be a suggested guide on how to search.

A Suggested Guide on Searching for God in a Sea of Religion

Introduction

“If I cease searching, then woe is me, I am lost. That is how I look at it. Keeping going, keep going come what may.”
~Vincent van Gogh, Letters to Vincent

If the question of whether God exists is still troublesome, don’t let it stop you from searching. I think atheists/agnostics,
even if not convinced of God, can benefit from a clearer understand of religion.

Before investigating the Christian faith, some have found it helpful to read and explore the world’s religions.
Most people agree that all religions contain elements of truth. The trick is deciding if you believe all of them are
the same, but different paths to God or if only one of them is true.

Chapter 1

Jesus and the Christian Faith

“If corpses can’t be raised, then Christ wasn’t, because he was indeed dead. And if Christ weren’t raised, then all you’re doing is wandering about in the dark, as lost as ever. It’s even worse for those who died hoping in Christ and resurrection, because they’re already in their graves. If all we get out of Christ is a little inspiration for a few short years, we’re a pretty sorry lot.”
~1 Corinthians 15:18-20 (The Message)

As you go....

-Don’t watch Christian television, confide in your family, friends, or read books about the Christianity. You might be sidetracked. Keep your search personal for now. Wait until later to talk to others or explore other media.

-Find a reliable translation of the Bible that you find easy to read. Bible Gateway has dozens of translations you can choose from you can read online.

-As you read don’t get stopped or discourage if you come across something you don’t understand or unbelievable. it will happen.

To Start...

Read the Gospel of John first. This is important. Like the munchkins told Dorothy, to get your destination it’s always best to start with the first brick on the road.

John was the youngest of Jesus’ Disciple. It was written around 50 A.D. John wrote this only a few decades after the crucifixion of Jesus.

“There are so many other things Jesus did. If they were all written down, each of them, one by one, I can’t imagine a world big enough to hold such a library of books.”
~John 21:25 (The Message)

Note: The Bible (Old and New Testament) was written over an 1800 year period, with a 500 year gap between Testaments by 66 authors. There are over 5,000 ancient manuscripts that confirm the reliability of the text. An ancient scroll was found near the Dead Sea in 1947 that contained the entire text of Isaiah as we have it in today’s translations.

buster-keaton-general_l.jpg

Sunday Dispatch.648

Sunday Dispatch.648

‘If there was a God, he’d guide the winds, let them blow for me
so that, with a tug of my string, I’d cut lose my pain.”
~Khaled Hosseini

Chapter Two

For many people the biggest question about God is not whether he exists, it is about whether God is truly good. How can a loving God create a world that allows such suffering and evil?

A question people have asked all through history. It is one of the oldest questions directed to God. It’s interesting that the book of Job not only tackles this question but is also the oldest book in the Bible.

It was written between the 7th and 4th centuries B.C. Jewish scholars believe it was written in another language before being translated to Hebrew. Job was a man renowned in antiquity as being righteous. Job is even mentioned in the Quran. The book of Job, as the saying goes, is as old as dust.

Job is not an easy read. It is 42 chapters and can be quite bewildering at times. The style jumps from poetic dialogue, monologues to speeches by God.

I recommend reading the New International Version translation. It is a reliable translation. There is also the NIV Study Bible that has excellent footnotes that do help in sorting it out.

Does God answer the question? Don’t let the answer stop you from reading Job but the answer is… no.

The answer my friend as Dylan sang is blowing in the wind. The wind however is not all elusive; One can often know the direction.

~ih

Sunday Dispatch. Extra

Sunday Dispatch. Extra

Sailing down my golden river
Sun and water all my own
Yet I was never alone.
Sun and water, old life-givers
I'll have them where'er I roam
And I was not far from home.

Sunlight glancing on the water
Life and death are all my own
And I was never alone.
Life to raise my sons and daughters
Golden sparkles in the foam
And I was not far from home.

Sailing down this winding highway
Travelers from near and far
Yet I was never alone.
Exploring all the little by-ways
Sighting all the distant stars
Yet I was not far from home.

~Pete Seeger

Sunday Dispatch.649

Sunday Dispatch.649

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
~Galatians 1:8

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.
~Galatians 3:8

Chapter Three

False teachers entered the new Christian faith early. The false teachers were adding extra baggage to the Good News of Christ. To be right with God you must keep this law or that rule, you must do this or that.

It was “another gospel” and it really upset Paul. He let it show in the opening verses of his letter to the Galatians living in the Roman province of Galatia. Paul uses some very strong and shocking phrases: “let them be accursed” and those things he left behind as “dung.” Paul uses a Greek word for our English “dung” that is equivalent to the effect of the Germanic four letter word used today for animal or human excrement.

Many of these teachers were also teaching that males must be circumcised. To fulfill God’s command in the Old Testament Jewish males were circumcised eight days after birth. It was a sign that they were the Lord’s people. Eight days after birth a baby’s body is able to clot blood when cut and doing it early, although it hurt, the males did not remember it.

The requirement being taught upset male Gentiles (non-Jews) and rightly so. How many adult males today would submit to being circumcised without the use of modern day anesthesia?

Paul deals with these issues and reminds the Galatians and us that we
are reconciled by the grace of God.

The moment we try to earn it by keeping laws or doing
good deeds it is no longer grace but another gospel.

Sunday Dispatch.650

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We write this to make our joy complete.

~1 John 1-3

A Suggested Guide on Finding God in a Sea of Religion
Chapter Four

The suggested reading order so far: The Gospel of John, Job and Galatians.
We now come to 1 John. It is a letter written, around 85-90 A.D., by the same writer of the Gospel of John. John was the youngest disciple of Jesus but now he was advanced in age. He addresses the readers as “children.” It is five chapters and long and was a circular letter passed to Christians in various locations.

John opens the letter by reminding us that he was one of the witnesses to Jesus. He was there. He desires that we will live a life of joy.
This is a “get back to the basics” of the faith. We should not only follow Jesus we should obey his teachings. We can’t claim to walk in the light if we hate our brother.

John encourages readers to strive to be holy. To be holy means to be "set apart." We should strive for perfection. I mean what else could God ask for? Be ye perfect half the time? Three fourths of the time? Sin means "missing the mark." We will mess up and sin. We will stumble but we ask for forgiveness and move on. We should not let the bumps in the road derail us and hinder the journey. Jesus is here with us to help. He is our best friend.

To be obedient and in this we find happiness and joy. The Christian faith at its core is a personal relationship with Jesus.

False teachers were a huge problem during the first two centuries of the church. Unfortunately they are still with us. John warns us to beware and don’t be deceived.

This is the final chapter of this brief guide. I hope you have found it helpful. I would like to end with a few suggestions for you to consider.

-The N.I.V. Study Bible is a good translation. The introductions to the books and footnote are helpful.

-After reading the four books I would go and read Matthew, Mark and Luke. It would be good to continue reading the Gospels until you have a good understanding.

-Pray (do this awhile and you will be pleasantly surprised)

-Remember what Jesus said about not bragging to others about your good deeds. Do them without boasting. God knows what you are doing.

-Read Your God is too Small by J.B. Phillips (a short book with giant message)

-Find a church to attend. Take your time and find out what the church teaches. Remember to test everything with scripture.

-Enjoy your journey. It's like getting a new set of glasses to see the world. A lot of beautiful things out there. The simplest things will become very important. Life with meaning and purpose.

- Remember the false teachers. Don't expect a life free of trouble and health and wealth 24/7. The Christian is not immune from trouble and strife but when the storms come you will be prepared.

Take care

Sunday Dispatch.652

“Jesus promised his disciples three things—that they would be completely fearless, absurdly happy, and in constant trouble.”

~G.K. Chesterton

Sunday Dispatch.653

Sunday Dispatch.653

“God will invade … When that happens, it is the end of the world. When the author walks on to the stage the play is over. God is going to invade, all right, but … this time it will be God without disguise; something so overwhelming that it will strike either irresistible love or irresistible horror into every creature."

~C.S. Lewis

Sunday Dispatch.654

Sunday Dispatch.654

May the road rise up
To meet you.

May the wind be always
At your back.

May the sun shine warm
upon your face.

May the rain fall soft
upon your field,

And until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

~Celtic Blessing

Sunday dispatch.655

Sunday Dispatch.655

“God, my God, omnipotent King, I humbly adore thee. Thou art King of kings, Lord of lords. Thou art the Judge of every age. Thou art the Redeemer of souls.

Thou art the Liberator of those who believe. Thou art the Hope of those who toil. Thou art the Comforter of those in sorrow. Thou art the Way to those who wander. Thou art Master to the nations.

Thou art the Creator of all creatures. Thou art the Lover of all good. Thou art the Prince of all virtues. Thou art the joy of all Thy saints. Thou art life perpetual. Thou art joy in truth.

Thou art the exultation in the eternal fatherland. Thou art the Light of light. Thou art the Fountain of holiness. Thou art the glory of God the Father in the height.

Thou art Savior of the world.

Thou art the plenitude of the Holy Spirit. Thou sittest at the right hand of God the Father on the throne, reigning for ever.”

~ St. Patrick

Sunday Dispatch.656

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell.
~Song of Solomon 2:12-13

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.
~Psalm 19:1-4

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth... God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.
~Genesis 1:1, 31

"How many are your works, O Lord! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number-living things both large and small.
~Psalm 104:24-25

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
~John 1:3

Christ "is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.
~Colossians 1:15-16

Sunday Dispatch.657

Sunday Dispatch.657

I foolishly thought that if I just 'made it' then everything would be okay.
And everything wasn't okay.
~ Trent Reznor

Sometimes in life it hits the fan: unfulfilled dreams, rejection, substance abuse, depression, suffering, loneliness, separation, tragedy, disease, death.

Good songwriters often express this anguish of being messed up in a messed up world. Billy Corgan said the album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness” by The Smashing Pumpkins was based on “the human condition of the mortal soul.”

“Hurt” by Trent Reznor was released on the album “The Downward Spiral” by Nine Inch Nails. It is one sad song. Reznor, when he penned the lyrics, was going through a ton of trouble. During the five years following the release of The Downward Spiral, Reznor struggled with depression, social anxiety disorder, and the death of his grandmother (who raised him). During this period of intense grief, Reznor began abusing alcohol, cocaine, and other drugs. He eventually became addicted to alcohol and cocaine

In 2003 Johnny Cash covered the song. 71 years of age at the time of filming , Cash had serious health problems and his frailty is starkly evident in the video. He died seven months later. His wife June Carter Cash, who participated in the video, died three months after filming, closely preceding him in death. The house where the video for 'Hurt' was shot, which was Cash's home for nearly 30 years, was destroyed in a fire on April 10, 2007.

Later Reznor’s commented on the song and Cash’s video: “I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone.”

Johnny Cash Hurt - YouTube

Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress;
My eyes grow weak with sorrow,
My soul and body with grief
~Psalm 31:9

Sunday Dispatch.658

Sunday Dispatch.658

“If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it.”

~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sunday Dispatch.659

Sunday Dispatch.659

Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

~Luke 1:1-4

Sunday Dispatch.660

Sunday Dispatch.660

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJ4kp1AwY4&feature=kp

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna cross that river
I'm gonna catch tomorrow now

You're gonna wanna hold me
Just like I always told you
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

Nobody here will ever find me
But I always be around
Just like the songs I leave behind me
I'm gonna live forever now

You fathers and you mothers
Be good to one another
Please try to raise your children right
Don't let the darkness take 'em
Don't make 'em feel forsaken
Just lead them safely to the light

When this old world has blown us under
And all the stars from fall this sky
Remember someone really loves you
We'll live forever you and I

I'm gonna live forever

I'm gonna live forever

I'm gonna live forever

I'm gonna live forever

Dream of angels and sunshine
Rivers of red wine, and orange peel blues
Dream of angels and sunshine
Rivers of red wine, and orange peel blues

~Billy Joe Shaver

Sunday Dispatch.661

Sunday Dispatch.661

Christianity is realistic because it says that if there is no truth, there is also no hope; and there can be no truth if there is no adequate base. It is prepared to face the consequences of being proved false and say with Paul: If you find the body of Christ, the discussion is finished, let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die. It leaves absolutely no room for a romantic answer.

~Francis Schaeffer

Sunday Dispatch.662

Sunday Dispatch.662

"Some people think that God peers over the balcony of heaven trying to find anybody who is enjoying life. And when He spots a happy person, He yells, Now cut that out! That concept of God should make us shudder because it's blasphemous!"

~Paul Little

Sunday Dispatch.663

Sunday Dispatch.663

O Seun tuntun laiye mi
Ko dawo duro,
Aanu ni mori gba,
O Seun tuntun laiye mi
Ko da wo duro
Araiye ewa ba mi yo

God is doing new things in my life
There’s no stopping Him
And His Mercy is my portion
God is doing new things in my life
There’s no stopping Him
Everybody please rejoice with me!

~Nigerian Hymn

Sunday Dispatch.664

Sunday Dispatch.664

"He's put enough in this world to make faith one of the most reasonable things. He's left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason alone."

~Ravi Zacharias

Sunday Dispatch.665

Sunday Dispatch.665

“And when you come before God, don’t turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?

“Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.

“The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply.

~Matthew 6:1-13 (The Message)

Sunday Dispatch.666

Sunday Dispatch.666

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

1 John 4:1-3

Sunday Dispatch.668

Sunday Dispatch.668

"I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity."

~C.S. Lewis

Sunday Dispatch.669

Sunday Dispatch.669

We may ignore, but we cannot evade, the presence of God.
The world is crowded with Him.
He walks everywhere.

~C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Sunday Dispatch.670

Sunday Dispatch.670

For food in a world where many walk in hunger
For faith in a world where many walk in fear
For friends in a world where many walk alone
We give you thanks, O Lord

In the name of Christ we pray.

Amen

Sunday Dispatch.671

Sunday Dispatch.701

Steve McQueen is one of my favorite actors. One thing I liked about him was that in scenes where he was being shot at, he looked scared. This made his films more realistic to me. He didn’t come across as a super hero immune to danger. He could express a wide range of emotions.

I was watching one of his films a few nights ago and it brought back some thoughts about Steve McQueen and his life…and about his faith.

The part of his life I want to share concerns the last part of his life. Note: Quoted paragraph is from Southern Yankee Gospel and McQueen quotes from Notes in the Key of Life.

This final chapter of his life started when he hired a pilot to teach him to fly.

"The pilot who taught him was a man in his early 60s by the name of Sammy Mason. Self-described as cranky and difficult to get along with, he became fast friends with McQueen. As they shared long hours in the air, talking together about the meaning of life, Steve sensed that there was something different about him. The more time they spent together, the more he wanted to know what Mason’s secret was. One day he asked him outright. Mason sat down with the aging actor and explained what, or rather who, had made the difference in his life. The answer, he said, was Jesus Christ."

A few weeks later while attending church, McQueen accepted Christ.

Several months later that year McQueen was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, a fast-spreading and incurable form of cancer. The news was crushing because he had expected God to use him in some great way now that he was a Christian.

While he was undergoing experimental treatments for his cancer, McQueen met with some doctors who practiced visualization techniques to encourage healing. In his interviews with them, McQueen repeatedly talked about his faith and how he wanted to share it with others.

"...you mentioned earlier about finding a cure in my life. Well, that cure was finding the Lord in my life.”

McQueen endured several treatments and operations, but a physical cure was not to be.

Four days after Billy Graham visited him in the hospital McQueen died with a Bible resting on his chest. It was opened to his favorite verse: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Steve McQueen Tribute Video ("Old Soldier," by Marc Cohn) - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom