Suicide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I have my own opinions on suicide, but I was just wondering what you all thought.

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

Originally posted by Lilly:
I have my own opinions on suicide, but I was just wondering what you all thought.

Primarily, I believe that no one on this Earth should deprive another of the right to kill oneself. If a person wishes to kill his or herself, it is not for the Church to decide it Sinful or Morally Wrong. If a person is suffering to the point where they don't want to live, evidently making them carry on with their existence is the equivalence of torture. That is why I think people should be left alone when they want to kill themselves. Life was given to them, but they may not necessarily think of it that way, they may think of life as being INFLICTED upon them - it is not for the Church of Government to decide.

HOWEVER, having said that, I think that people who commit suicide are very stupid and illogical people indeed, simply for the fact that YOU don't need to end your life, it will soon end by itself. You don't need to find Death, Death will sooner than later find you. I have never, for a second of my existence, ever wanted to commit suicide, and I can't really sympathise for those who do. Life is simply the most interesting thing around, why run away from it? Suicide are those who feel that there is no other way about it, unfortunately that is not logically sound; everything in life goes through phases.

Ultimately, suicide is really a waste of time, and people who do it don't really value what they're throwing away.

Ant.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 12-05-2001).]

Sure there was a point recently where I was so tired and fed up in my life, got to a point I thought, 'Look at me, Im no good at this, I havent ever discovered true love, I hate myself, I blame my image, and I feel like a loser.....', it was that bad...........

but unfortunately, in saying this, what happened on Sept 11 really lifted my depression.....I dont know what...I think the sudden shock on how life can be taken from u in one full swoop, just like that.........and decided that I have to join a class, or just be me all over the place..........but realise I cant be accepted by everyone (not that I was intending too)......Im just fed up having to go to everyone..........anyway, when Im driving, though I would love to try a dangerous stunt or motorsport, I still have that little rush in me each evening that says 'Im so lucky to be alive - thankful for those little things that give me comfort' - and enjoy watching my fav videos or reading my fav books when life gets me down..........

my mum says those who commit suicide are very selfish pple, who have left behind torn hearts and prob bigger problems.............for me its hard to know, I just feel sad for when pple take their lives, but u never tink that when u tink about taking ur own.......somehow I hope that the many out there who are considering it, can possibly find something or someone to give them a way out......and give them happiness in their lives before it ends naturally, and not (may I be forgiven) by tragedy.............

A topic near and dear to me...

I've always been told that nobody has the right to kill themself because only God can choose when people die. If one does kill themself, I've been told that they will surely go to Hell.

As for me, well, I'm 19, and I've been depressed/suicidal since I was about 11 or 12. I never got counseling or anything though. I just dealt with it. It wasn't until a little earlier this year that I actually really started to enjoy life and be happy. I don't know what did it...maybe it was finally picking a major I really was interested in...maybe it was proving I can do as well in college as I did in high school...maybe it was realizing that I have tons of people around me that care about me (and that I care about)...maybe it was finding the love of my life...I don't know. But I feel good...though I still get really down at times, I'm glad I didn't kill myself. I realized I've got too much to live for.

If I had gotten help, maybe it wouldn't have gone on for so long. But I still don't regret how I handled things...I don't like seeing doctors and counselors and those types of people.

I am now against suicide, though I used to be for it. That just shows how fucked up my thinking was.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 12-18-2001).]

Honestly, I can't understand it. I think its because of four years ago when I was diagnosed with cancer. It was death looking me in the eye and I had no choice in that. I wanted to live life and yet, I was diagnosed with a potentially terminal illness. So the idea that someone would voluntarily end their life is unfathomable to me.

That being said, I haven't been dealing with the Sept. 11 stuff very well and will probably go seek out a professional therapist. I can see how someone can be deeply depressed about something-- I'm dealing with that myself-- but I just can't see how someone can get SO depressed that they would rather die than work through their problems and live life.

Originally posted by Anthony:

Life is simply the most interesting thing around, why run away from it? Suicide are those who feel that there is no other way about it, unfortunately that is not logically sound; everything in life goes through phases.

I agree with you Anthony but my guess is the hard part is finding one's way to a place where one can "reason" oneself out of a deep funk.

my husband thinks people who kill themselves are just selfish but i disagre
when you are depresed you dont think staight,i went through a stage of depression last year,the only thing that kept me going was my two boys and my mum,but some people just cant get out of their depresion and they think the rest of their life is going to be like this.untill you have been through bad depression no one will understand why ppl do it,so as i say to my husband "dont judge a man untill you have walked a mile in his shoes"

i def dont think it is a selfish act as when i was depressed i thought everyone would be better off without me, i felt like i was a burden to everyone!!!!!

sorry if im going on too much :)

------------------
a vampire or a victim it depends on whos around

Dont let the Bastards grind you down

Originally posted by poptart2001:
my husband thinks people who kill themselves are just selfish but i disagre
when you are depresed you dont think staight,i went through a stage of depression last year,the only thing that kept me going was my two boys and my mum,but some people just cant get out of their depresion and they think the rest of their life is going to be like this.untill you have been through bad depression no one will understand why ppl do it,so as i say to my husband "dont judge a man untill you have walked a mile in his shoes"

i def dont think it is a selfish act as when i was depressed i thought everyone would be better off without me, i felt like i was a burden to everyone!!!!!

sorry if im going on too much :)

I don't think its selfish at all, but it is very, very stupid.

Ant.

It is very difficult to understand how someone can believe that their life is so without meaning or happiness they would rather die - but I do try and empathize with those who feel so that way...

Is it just a chemical reaction in the brain? - or is the spirit so beaten down it only wishes to return "home"...

I just don't know...

I whole heartitly thinkit is the most selfish act you can commit. Its the easy way out. You cant get what u want, ppl are treating you bad, break with g/f b/f. It happens daily. Its how you deal with it. Its how you decide to move on.

What does sucide do?

Puts you out of your missery. Where do you then go? I dont know. Maybe hell. Maybe not.

But just think of the ppl who do love you. Think of the hurt you are inflicting on them!

Your kids, wife, husband, bros, sis, mom dad. Think of their hurt.....

I think it is the most cowardly act.

I am sensetive to these ppl though. They must be in a great deal of hurt to want to do this. But to take the conventinet way out leave everyone else to pick up the pieces is just wrong.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

how can suicide possibly be a selfish act? i have heard that so many times but i've never understood it, if anything the selfish ones are the ones that don't want you to commit suicide.
you don't owe anybody your love and compassion, it's not like money, haven't you heard the saying "if you really love somebody, you set them free"? if you really loved a suicidal person, then try to deter them, but if you understand that they really want to end their life and that they made that descision, then you have to respect it out of YOUR love to them.
telling them that it's selfish and blah blah, will make them even more suicidal, because they will reliese that you don't love them, but rather love the way that they make you feel about YOURSELF, and that is VERY selfish because you are thinking about YOURSELF and YOUR loss. love is a give and take relationship. just because the otherside is dead does not mean that they are not doing their part in the relationship or that they didn't love you enough or that you cannot love them anymore. if that were the case, then who do you blame if your loved one died before you of natural causes? love can be higher than just on a physical state. we are all going to die sometime, it doesn't matter when or how or by whom. what matters is enjoying the time we are having and remembering the time we had. if my father was dead, would i stop loving him?

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-09-2001).]

oops double post
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-09-2001).]

Depression fucks with your mind...I've been there too. And thought about killing myself...but I got help (and frankly, U2 was a big help in the process).

Help is what someone who's contemplating killing themselves needs....

I'm not for or against suicide. I don't believe that the people who commit suicide go immediately to hell, but I do hope that suicide is not the first option to a bad day. Maybe we can all help people see this!

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.

If people took the stance that sucide was acceptable and their right we would have sucide all around us. I highly doubt that you would be happy if your wife or husband took their life. I'm sure if they came to you and said they we going to kill themselves you'd say i love you, bye.

We are humans when someone dies people around them are sad. Killing yourself is not an easy thing to do. I'm sure you would have to be in a bad place but your only thinking of yourself in that moment.

If someone were to take their own life without telling anyone would you not hurt? Would you not ask yourself what have you done?

These are all questions most ppl have.

It's a terrible thing that people have to commit sucide. I only feel sorry for the people around them as they are the people hurting now.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Suicide hits home for me. Its something that is hard to make people understand if they have never been in such a state of mind. I have people ask me.. "Why would anyone kill themselves?" "God gave you life its up for him to take it away" "How bad can it be that it leads to suicide?"

I don't know.. I used to think that it was up to us to make that choice, if we wanted to live or die. After all no one asked us if we wanted to be born right? That was my mentality when I was at my worse and darkest point of my life. I really didn't care. Life had gotten to real to even intent to heal. I came very close to it. And had it not been for my best friend who changed my life, god knows where I would be right now. Dead probably.

It was weird, because he saved me. He made me see the happier things in life, how much I was worth, what a good person I was, and most of all how much life I still had to live. And my life just changed. I started seeing things in a different light. I was coming out of this darkness... and for once I was able to see the positive things in life. I was begining to like myself as a person and enjoy life. And then I kept thinking, no matter how hard life gets YOU CAN some how hold on to something positive. There is something to live for. Even if the only reason you have is that the sun will rise in the morning that is reason enough.

But a year ago, that all changed.... something that even today I still can't understand and it still haunts me and the guilt is still there.. my best friend who SAVED me and made me see how wonderful life was killed himself. I don't get it. I still can't get over it. How could he do this. But why couldn't I see it coming. Because he too could have seen the light. But I can't judge him, or call him selfish, only he knew how bad it was. And I have been there and I know how bad it can get. I just wish I cold have done something to help him
frown.gif

I dunno, those are my expriences with suicide.

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 12-10-2001).]

what really sad is that self-suicide is actually illegal in a lot of places, so if you happen to survive it, then you get classified as a criminal!
i guess you really would be hitting people where it hurts the most if you commit suicide. their wallet.

SweetOnU2, what a terrible thing that must have been for you. I hope it will all come to make sense to you some day.
frown.gif

For myself, I'm glad that the option is there, but I don't think I would use it, at least not as long as my parents are alive, because I couldn't do that to them. I would rather live and be miserable than be dead and having made them miserable.

Last year, I was in a constant dark depression, and to tell you people the truth, last summer I nearly 'made it', but "something" (could be a God if it exist, could be a feeling, I don't know) stoped me... when I was actually in the "physical" process of "going away". I don't know whatever happened to me at that time, but the things I remember about this day, was that it was the culminant point of a year (or a year and a half) of constant depression. During this day, I remember that I didn't thought I was "there". I was feeling very weird, as if my body was there, but my soul was sick, so sick I couldn't even think rationally. And right up after that, I felt joy and I was optimistic. It took let's say 2 weeks after my "missed" or "cancelled" action to overcome this terrible depression and to finnaly feel sincerely good about something (like I was smilling and laughing cos that was the mood I was in, not to make people happy and to hide my fears, depression and constant suicide thoughts). I'm still trying to figure out how a year ago I was in fucking madness. In the last month I lost my dog I had since I was a kid, my uncle is very very sick , a grandmother nearly passed away, but... I'm still optimistic, I constantly say to myself "this is a part of life and I shall do everything I can to help those people and the others in trouble". But if that thing would have happened a year ago, I wouldn't be able to tell you now cos I would simply be gone. Is it faith ? I don't know. I've got a weird perspective of a God, I cannot say if I believe in it or not. I think I believe in a force or something like that, though I believe in the spirits. Is it that that saved me ? I don't know. Is it myself ? I don't know either. Do I constantly rely on a God since that day ? Certainly not, but since that ay (more or so), I really feel the presence of something else I could call a spirit or a feeling.

Also, during my year of depression, a friend of mine comitted suicide. It was last winter and I think I told this story to some folks here, i.e.: Bonovista or something... I never, never never thought that it was a treason against me, his familly never felt sad "cos he hurted us". It was his action, his perspective, his decision. I'm sure he now guides his familly and friends. Is it him who helped me when I was physically doing "my departure" ? I don't know. Maybe. He maybe knew better than me what I could do. I don't feel sad about what he did. I did all I could to help him, but it was his decision and I accept it because I know how muc courage it took for him to do so. I know he asked himself the question before leaving : 'shall I live unhappily for the one I love or shall I live happily and maybe, if there's something else, be more usefull than here ?' Sometimes I think of him, I imagine what he would do if he was still here. He's out there, somewhere, with his guitar and his long hair, jamming with some rockers, smoking his spliffs and his little cigars and enjoying life more than he would do here.

I never felt that he bashed me or his familly or his others friends.

Suicide is not only made of black and white.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org

?Je" TARGET=_blank>www.unesco.org

?Je</A> suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

It's so easy to say it is selfish act. If you have never gone through depression ( and I have) you have no idea what it is like. Yes depression is a chemical imbalance, and if it gets so bad you just want out. And yes I got help thanks to medication and counseling. I would not wish it on anyone.

Originally posted by TheU2:

I think its very, very selfish.

CK
then you are very, very selfish yourself because you are not thinking of the suicidal person's feelings, but of your own feelings of loss and self pity for having "lost a friend/mate/relative etc)".
to take your own possessions is certainly not selfish.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:

then you are very, very selfish yourself because you are not thinking of the suicidal person's feelings, but of your own feelings of loss and self pity for having "lost a friend/mate/relative etc)".
to take your own possessions is certainly not selfish.

Their feelings? Fuck their feelings....they are dead.

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 12-18-2001).]

i meant before they die obviously.
you know improperly labelling them selfish would only make them that bit more suicidal.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-18-2001).]

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
i meant before they die obviously.
you know improperly labelling them selfish would only make them that bit more suicidal.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-18-2001).]

I didn't label suicidal people selfish. Just people who actually did it.

if i had a courage , i 'd probably did it , but the main thing is : my other active-live part is fighting and winning ( step by step ) , i can't do this right now , cause a lot of bad feelings will be in my parents , relatives , friends , and other people who knows me::::;; minds ;;;;;;
and i got good waves from others

Its selfish, yes, but does selfish is necessarily a bad thing ? Its the most personnal decision of a person. This world is fucked-up. You can kill someone (i.e.: legal guns), but you cannot decide to kill yourself cos it's selfish. It's the most personnal decision of a 'normal' person ('normal' i.e.: in a occidental way, I don't know about the other cultures).

Is it selfish ? Yes. Is it selfish in a bad way ? Not always... its a minority.
I never felt the act of my friend did was selfish just to say "fuck you" to all of his familly, friends and her lover. It was a selfish act, cos otherwize he would have drown the world. It's certainly not stupid. I refuse to admit that suicide is stupid.

Cheers

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

?Je suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

"Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.? - Woody Allen

Originally posted by Holy John:
Its selfish, yes, but does selfish is necessarily a bad thing ? Its the most personnal decision of a person. This world is fucked-up. You can kill someone (i.e.: legal guns), but you cannot decide to kill yourself cos it's selfish. It's the most personnal decision of a 'normal' person ('normal' i.e.: in a occidental way, I don't know about the other cultures).

Is it selfish ? Yes. Is it selfish in a bad way ? Not always... its a minority.
I never felt the act of my friend did was selfish just to say "fuck you" to all of his familly, friends and her lover. It was a selfish act, cos otherwize he would have drown the world. It's certainly not stupid. I refuse to admit that suicide is stupid.

Cheers

I disagree. Suicide is stupid.

Originally posted by TheU2:

I didn't label suicidal people selfish. Just people who actually did it.
it's a lost cause with you, but that's ok, it's your opinion.
i suppose going into battle knowing that you probably would die could be also considered suicide, how do you think the families of the army feel about their loved ones going into battle? are they(the soldiers who died) selfish too, because they GAVE their life away for their country and what they stood for? oh but they TOOk their live away form their loved ones(friends and family)
it's a complicated situation, you cannot put it in nice neat catgeory.

Back
Top Bottom