Suicide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:

i suppose going into battle knowing that you probably would die could be also considered suicide, how do you think the families of the army feel about their loved ones going into battle? are they(the soldiers who died) selfish too, because they GAVE their life away for their country and what they stood for? oh but they TOOk their live away form their loved ones(friends and family)
it's a complicated situation, you cannot put it in nice neat catgeory.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think people going into battle think they are going to die. And no, they aren't being selfish. They are risking their lives so that we can live in a free country. In fact, going to battle must be the most selfless act.

You're arguement is full of holes. Take a logic class.

CK

can you enlighten us TheU2, on why you think suicide is "stupid" and "selfish"? and please use some new arguments, because quite frankly, i've heard them all
smile.gif

Why is it stupid? Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Why is it selfish? It wrecks everyone you left behind.

CK

Ivan and TheU2,

Whatever problems you guys have with each other is not my business and I will stay out of it. But please don't invade perfectly innocent threads like mine in EYKIW. That did not make me happy.

I'm not going to act like I'm an angel or anything(cause I'm obviously not
wink.gif
), but please use better judgement. I don't know if the point of your bickering is to make each other look bad, but it's working. You both look bad.

It's Christmas time. Why don't you just put it aside and try to get along?

------------------
THE DUCK HAS DIED

Originally posted by TheU2:
Why is it stupid? Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Why is it selfish? It wrecks everyone you left behind.

CK

i said new arguments. give me something worth debating here.
you're simply rehashing the thread, read ABOVE your first reply to this thread.
Take a reading class.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-18-2001).]

i said new arguments. give me something worth debating here.
you're simply rehashing the thread, read ABOVE your first reply to this thread.
Take a reading class.

Nothing to debate? Debate with me how suicide isn't a permanent solution and how it doesn't affect the people who loved and cared for the person.

Selfishness is defined as someone who does something only for the benefit of themselves. Suicide does not benefit the people left behind. It wrecks them. A person who committs suicide is a coward. It take a courageous person to have the power to overcome obstacles.

CK

PS I read the post above my first response

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 12-18-2001).]

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
Ivan and TheU2,

Whatever problems you guys have with each other is not my business and I will stay out of it. But please don't invade perfectly innocent threads like mine in EYKIW. That did not make me happy.

I'm not going to act like I'm an angel or anything(cause I'm obviously not
wink.gif
), but please use better judgement. I don't know if the point of your bickering is to make each other look bad, but it's working. You both look bad.

It's Christmas time. Why don't you just put it aside and try to get along?

Drop me an email or IM me.

Ck

u2_kennedy@yahoo.com
ckennedy77

Originally posted by TheU2:
And please explain to me how a person who goes to fight for his country is selfish.

CK

i don't think it's selfish myself, i don't even think suicide is selfish, but i said that to illustrate your flawed logic, that if a person decides to risk HIS/HER own life knowingly and possibly die(nevermind the circumstance), then it is selfish on his/her part for the people that love him/her.
can you not look at it from the distressed person's point of view? it's his/her life, he/she can do whatever he/she wants with it. if he/she wants to kill himself then he/she can, because he life is not a public commodity that he/she chose to keep all to himself/herself and not let other people access it.
you imply that people own each other physically and mentally. that is simply not true. if the so called "loved ones" of the dead suicidal person, feel like they have been robbed, then i can wholheartedly say that the person is probably better off dead, the people never loved him/her , they just loved how he/she made THEM feel, and that is utter selfishness on their part.

i don't think it's selfish myself, i don't even think suicide is selfish, but i said that to illustrate your flawed logic, that if a person decides to risk HIS/HER own life knowingly and possibly die(nevermind the circumstance), then it is selfish on his/her part for the people that love him/her.
can you not look at it from the distressed person's point of view? it's his/her life, he/she can do whatever he/she wants with it. if he/she wants to kill himself then he/she can, because he life is not a public commodity that he/she chose to keep all to himself/herself and not let other people access it.
you imply that people own each other physically and mentally. that is simply not true. if the so called "loved ones" of the dead suicidal person, feel like they have been robbed, then i can wholheartedly say that the person is probably better off dead, the people never loved him/her , they just loved how he/she made THEM feel, and that is utter selfishness on their part.

You make no sense and I can barely understand what you just wrote.

CK

using your amazing logic, i conclude that i only exist to make other people happy, it doesn't matter how misreable i am, i cannot tell them and rob them of "my love".
hey if i cannot even own my own life, then i might as well share everything else, i mean all the money i made, none of it should be to myself, i should spend it all on family and friends.
you know that idea would be nice if ALL people thought like that, then we would all live in a big happy perfectly communistic world!
biggrin.gif

sleep on it, maybe you'll dream about it, maybe you'll come to the conclusion that arguing on the internet is a neverending cycle.

Wow. When did you figure that one out?

------------------
THE DUCK HAS DIED

suicide is something i often think about; its not something i want though...though i've tried it...err, life is full of darkness as i see it

i wish it upon no one

------------------
--U2002revolution
(not-a-newbie)

U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Personally im not gonna bring religion into the topic of suicide cus i know in my religion they thinks its wrong but i think in my religion all their ideas and opinions are wrong and really i dont care much about religion.

In my own opinion life is short and ur not gonna get a 2nd chance so dont waste it and kill urself early.

I couldnt go through with suicide it seems pretty scary and a REALLY lonely way to die, anyone who feels compelled to kill themselves must be really depressed.

We shouldnt argue about this topic anyway, we should have compassion and think about those families who have lost a loved one expecially at Christmas through suidice, it must be awful for them and they are very brave to have been able to cope with it.

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

I can understand why people would want to kill themselves. For about 2 years I have had suicidal depression. I wouldn't go and see anyone professional about it and have a few times tried to end my life as it seemed like the only way out. About 1 and a half years ago I discovered the joys of U2. They especially Bono's lyrics have helped me get through it and though I think that you can never totally be over real depression not just feeling a bit down I have had large spells of time where I have been fine. Bono gave me my life back and for that I am truly grateful. Through their music I have made some good friends and have also found a purpose/aim for life so I now am no longer suicidal. I have found another way out and though many when they here my plans say its stupid or that I can't do that don't realise that there are two ways out. One leave where I am and start afresh or the second is take my life. Now they are my only two ways out, my only two releases and I think that the leaving and starting afresh to fulfil my purpose is a whole lot better than taking the easier quicker way out by killing myself. Sorry I babbled.

Originally posted by Gypsy Spoon Girl:
I can understand why people would want to kill themselves. For about 2 years I have had suicidal depression. I wouldn't go and see anyone professional about it and have a few times tried to end my life as it seemed like the only way out. About 1 and a half years ago I discovered the joys of U2. They especially Bono's lyrics have helped me get through it and though I think that you can never totally be over real depression not just feeling a bit down I have had large spells of time where I have been fine. Bono gave me my life back and for that I am truly grateful. Through their music I have made some good friends and have also found a purpose/aim for life so I now am no longer suicidal. I have found another way out and though many when they here my plans say its stupid or that I can't do that don't realise that there are two ways out. One leave where I am and start afresh or the second is take my life. Now they are my only two ways out, my only two releases and I think that the leaving and starting afresh to fulfil my purpose is a whole lot better than taking the easier quicker way out by killing myself. Sorry I babbled.

Your story was very touching, it was lovely actually
smile.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

Back
Top Bottom