Success in Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's only the DEFEATocrats who want to pull out of Iraq! they've lost their spine, *just* like they did with Vietnam, and they're going to make us lose another war!

DEFEATocrats like ... Mitch McConnell:

[q]"The Iraqi government is a huge disappointment. Republicans overwhelmingly feel disappointed about the Iraqi government. I read just this week that a significant number of the Iraqi parliament want to vote to ask us to leave. I want to assure you, Wolf, if they vote to ask us to leave, we'll be glad to comply with their request."[/q]

Don't use UN as a fig leaf, it's all about political and resource trade. And shame for some of us, our government just trade off Iraq and its people to make peace with US for our own political benefit.

We, as human, all selfish in some extent. But the difference is, I knew it was wrong, and could feel my facing is burning, some one certainly start celebrating now.

Dreadsox said:

You write as if the Gulf War and Cease Fire agreed to by Saddam Hussein were not important to the situation. In 1990 Saddam Hussein invaded two of his neighbors. In the 1980's Saddam Hussein used NBC weapons against his own citizens and Irans. There is a difference between international law, and cease fire agreements. You are disreguarding the fact that Iraq, under the Gulf War Cease fire agreed to certain conditions that were not met. They did not verifiably disarm. The UN Authorized the world to take action through Resolution 1441. The USA and its Coalition Alllies were operating under the full authority of the UN Security Council. The occupation of Iraq was authorized by the UN Security Council. The US was not acting unilaterally.

No, I think they are VERY important. Because they evetually become the best excuses for US to invade Iraq. However, there are more than one way to solve the problem than by military forces. And for some reason, the US was very fond of sending troops to other country, historically. History does repeat itself.

Dreadsox said:

The fact is that Saddam Hussein invaded two of his neighbors in 1990. The fact is that Saddam Hussein used NBC weapons.I I guess that kind of made him everyones problem, except for those with short term memory. That is the reason the UN passed resolution after resolution. It was Iraq's responsibility to live up to the terms of the cease fire agreed to in 1991. They did not, and the UN got teeth and authorized the US to take action through Resolution 1441.

And why UN authorized US, not Friench or Russia, or any other countries instead? Didn't they closer to the region? It was a proposal started by the US, and others didn't want to risk their own political benefit, plus it's not in their country any way, so they simply didn't say no.

Don't make it sound like the whole world was begging the US's help.

A_Wanderer said:

Saddams rule was a slaughter; I don't think that anybody who considers themselves in solidarity with the Iraqi people to be doing them a favour by saying that he had a right to mass murder in the name of internal security.

Please. Nobody gave a shit about the Iraqi people. This was was not fought out of some grand altruism. It's all a lot of boo-hooing and crocodile tears now about how much they suffered so that it all comes out more palatable. If human rights were any kind of motivator, the US wouldn't be friendly with the Saudis, the Pakistanis and so on.

anitram said:

Please. Nobody gave a shit about the Iraqi people. This was was not fought out of some grand altruism. It's all a lot of boo-hooing and crocodile tears now about how much they suffered so that it all comes out more palatable. If human rights were any kind of motivator, the US wouldn't be friendly with the Saudis, the Pakistanis and so on.

whatever. the Iraqis should feel lucky that George Bush knows they exist and they've been touched by his blessed hand.

Irvine511 said:

whatever. the Iraqis should feel lucky that George Bush knows they exist and they've been touched by his blessed hand.

I can't believe how blind you are!
How can't you see what's going on there? You said that the deaths don't matter? What kind of life are you for? You think that having a war every 5 years is a good think for a country? Yeah maybe when it makes US Arms company work like they do now....those same companies that are bound to Bush.
I am not US citizen, but I like your country, I spend 4 years in New Orleans LA and I met fabulous people, but politically there is somehow a big problem. USA has always had a "tradition" of war, "western movies" kind of thing.... to fight for freedom. Yeah, freedom is great, that's what everyone wants (almost) but why create hate, war, deaths and shit even more?
And I can bet what you want that in 2-3 years max (if a Republican is the President) USA will invade Iran.... of course, otherwise why and whom are the US building guns and crap like this for????? For themselves.

anitram said:

Yes and thats the big terrorism supporting and fuelling double standard; was it Bush's motivation though, no.

butter7 said:

And why UN authorized US, not Friench or Russia, or any other countries instead? Didn't they closer to the region? It was a proposal started by the US, and others didn't want to risk their own political benefit, plus it's not in their country any way, so they simply didn't say no.

Don't make it sound like the whole world was begging the US's help.

How insulting comments like these are to the members of the coalition who have committed troops to the liberation of the Iraqi people. Resolution 1441 and the UN Charter authorized ALL Member STATES to enforce the Security Council Resolutions. It was not the US against Iraq. This was a UN operation.

Yahweh_OMG said:

How can't you see what's going on there? You said that the deaths don't matter? What kind of life are you for? You think that having a war every 5 years is a good think for a country? Yeah maybe when it makes US Arms company work like they do now....those same companies that are bound to Bush.
I am not US citizen, but I like your country, I spend 4 years in New Orleans LA and I met fabulous people, but politically there is somehow a big problem. USA has always had a "tradition" of war, "western movies" kind of thing.... to fight for freedom. Yeah, freedom is great, that's what everyone wants (almost) but why create hate, war, deaths and shit even more?
And I can bet what you want that in 2-3 years max (if a Republican is the President) USA will invade Iran.... of course, otherwise why and whom are the US building guns and crap like this for????? For themselves.

You know, there is a word, it start's with s and ends with arcasm. :wink:

Dreadsox said:

How insulting comments like these are to the members of the coalition who have committed troops to the liberation of the Iraqi people. Resolution 1441 and the UN Charter authorized ALL Member STATES to enforce the Security Council Resolutions. It was not the US against Iraq. This was a UN operation.

How many countries in UN? How many countries have their troops in Iraq? And the majority of the soldiers are from?

butter7 said:

How many countries in UN? How many countries have their troops in Iraq? And the majority of the soldiers are from?

How many countries have the resources to conduct the most effective operation in military history? I did not realize that the number of countries in the world or the number of soldiers mattered when it comes to enforcing international law. The fact is, nations sent troops, and helped the operation in other ways.

Dreadsox said:

How many countries have the resources to conduct the most effective operation in military history? I did not realize that the number of countries in the world or the number of soldiers mattered when it comes to enforcing international law. The fact is, nations sent troops, and helped the operation in other ways.

This is out of the topic of this thread.

AnnRKeyintheUSA worried about the US citizen's safety after the Iraq war could become worse, and Iraqi people might hate American people.

Obviousely, for Iraqi people, they more likely to hate the people who occupied their land, rather than the people who played less effective roles.

I don't care what YOU think about US government did a good job or not on Iraq war. It is just unfair for people who have attitude like AnnRKeyintheUSA would be put in the same catalogue, with people who have the same opinion as you.

Last edited:
I find it interesting to see that security is measured by attacks on US soil, not by attacks worldwide.

However, it's hard to measure security, as A_Wanderer mentioned before.
The attacks tried in Cologne for example were carried out by fanatics with no real connection to any terrorist organisation. They rather tried to impress some fundamentalists with their doing, but acted very independently.

With or without the Iraq war such attacks would have been planned, and carried out. I think on that account the war didn't change much.

Yahweh_OMG said:

everyone on this board knows me as a die-hard Bush supporter -- praises to our Dear Leader! -- and a true believer that everything the United States touches turns to gold.

Dreadsox said:

agreed!

how dare we not recognize the immeasurable contributions of the Marshall Islands! :mad:

without the dozen or so non-american/british troops -- all of whom are there out of military necessity, performing crucial roles and who are certainly not political tokens bought and paid for by the White House so that someone can point to the "many" nations on the ground in Iraq as part of their talking points -- performing vital roles in maintaining the security of Baghdad, the whole mission might not be nearly the smashing success it has been and will continue to be for the next 50 years.

nation building is hard, people.

^ Well, you're talking to the purported author of a queer revision of Fiddler on the Roof, after all... :rolleyes:

Irvine511 said:

everyone on this board knows me as a die-hard Bush supporter -- praises to our Dear Leader! -- and a true believer that everything the United States touches turns to gold.

Are you guys all sarcastic???? Maybe I got too much into this topic.... sorry :reject:

A few years ago I spent a year in Switzerland living in a tiny town up the hill from Montreux (near Villars, if you know where that is). Used to go to Geneve all the time. How's the Jet d'Eau these days? :wink:

Yahweh_OMG said:
By the Way Irvine..... you went to Switzerland and didn't tell me....:(
We could have had a drink talking about the US politics.....:wink:

How was it then????

yes, have been totally sarcastic this whole time -- sorry, was in Switzerland over a year ago, and we had a wonderful time. i think Lucerne made my "Top 5 European Towns" and the Alps, as always, were breathtaking. we drove a whole lot, made it from Zurich to Lucerne to Zermatt and then all the way up to Munich driving through Montreaux and all up through the western half of the country.

i love to talk politics, not just US politics, and the next time i am in the country, or if you visit Washington DC, i would be happy to have a drink and some conversation. :)

Oh, this thread is so funny. Irvine put on the black Spidey suit and look what happened!!:lol:

Irvine511 said:

yes, have been totally sarcastic this whole time -- sorry, was in Switzerland over a year ago, and we had a wonderful time. i think Lucerne made my "Top 5 European Towns" and the Alps, as always, were breathtaking. we drove a whole lot, made it from Zurich to Lucerne to Zermatt and then all the way up to Munich driving through Montreaux and all up through the western half of the country.

i love to talk politics, not just US politics, and the next time i am in the country, or if you visit Washington DC, i would be happy to have a drink and some conversation. :)

Am I invited?

Back
Top Bottom