Styx, Suite Madam Blue and Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

*Stormy*

I used to be and still am a big fan of STYX. Now I realize with their recent dissing on Vh-1 being called 'corporate rock,' some of you, especially the younger ones, want to dump them in the same category as a boy band. No way. Styx formed the same way as U2, teenage boys in Chicago starting a band. Only Tommy Shaw came in later, he was from Alabama. Okay, excuse them "Kilroy" it was their outrgeous mistake, as was U2's Popmart (ducks, dodges flying objects
biggrin.gif
) but they had some very good music and some very profound lyrics. I could quote more, but right now I will only bring up the song in question, Suite Madam Blue.

This song was written with hidden political meaning. It is discreetly about how people from other countries are always asking America for money, and how they seem to think that our money can solve all the world's problems.

It starts like this:

Time after time
I sit and I wait for your call
I know I'm a fool but what can I say?
whatever the price, I'll pay
For you.....Madam Blue

(Madam Blue being a metaphor for the US)

Once, long ago, a word from your lips, and the world gathered 'round
but lately you've changed
you're so far away
I long for the past and dream of the days with you, Madam Blue

Sweet Madam Blue, gaze in your looking glass
you're not a child anymore
(as in the country has become something older and more important and it must see itself that way)

and it ends:

so lift up your heart
and make a new start
and lead us away from here!

So what I'm getting at is, though I'm sure Bono never liked Styx, this reminds me of some of the political situations he speaks of and what is going on right now with him (and I do support him) I know none of you here are Bono (I don't think
eek.gif
) but I would like to hear his opinion on this situation. Does he understand how Americans feel about this sometimes, and give it up for Styx and having meaningful deep lyrics. Corporate rock my ass.
mad.gif

I hope some of you can make sense of my rambling chain of thought.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 03-26-2002).]

I really really dislike Styx with a passion. My ten yr. old son has discovered them. His friend next door gave him a CD to burn from his parent's CD collection. I wake up to Styx, I go to bed to Styx and I'm finding it difficult to be neighborly now. It's driving me crazy. If I have to hear Mr. Roboto one more time I'll scream. I know Styx has a large fan base, but I just don't get it. I'm perplexed that you love Styx and U2.

Originally posted by partygirl:
I'm perplexed that you love Styx and U2.
Perplexed? Really? I really enjoy Styx, also, expecially "Give A Little Bit". They have some great songs. I also like ABBA, Cliff Richard, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, ASIA, John Wetton, Bee Gees, Monkees, Alison Krauss, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman...and the list goes on and on..and oh yes, U2. As you can see, I enjoy a wide variety of music. I would reckon that many U2 fans have a similar variety of preferred music.

I liked Styx in the late 70s and 80s.
They always put on a good stage show.
They were much better than bands like Boston and Foreigner approaching Zepplin sphere.
That was good information on Suite Madam Blue.
I always loved Miss America.

D
B

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Originally posted by partygirl:
I'm perplexed that you love Styx and U2.
Perplexed? Really? I really enjoy Styx, also, expecially "Give A Little Bit". They have some great songs. I also like ABBA, Cliff Richard, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, ASIA, John Wetton, Bee Gees, Monkees, Alison Krauss, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman...and the list goes on and on..and oh yes, U2. As you can see, I enjoy a wide variety of music. I would reckon that many U2 fans have a similar variety of preferred music.

80s- I think "Give A Little Bit" was done by Supertramp.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
80s- I think "Give A Little Bit" was done by Supertramp.
You're right! I was thinking of "Fooling Yourself"

SIGH. I knew it. Okay what about the political/foreign aid implications of the song and how they apply today?

One more thing: I HATE Mr. Roboto with a passion! Kilroy sucked, and I ignore it, same as I ignore U2's Popmart. It doesn't take anything away from the rest of the band's work though.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 03-26-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom