stop the party, someone could get hurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
I was just about to post this in Lemonite's Thread (the poetry one). He had posted a story in his thread about Notre Dame's new on-campus policy that was made without student feedback. It is a AP story - not just CNN though.

It would be interesting to see how many of the people who died had been caught for drinking before (minors from high school and what not). It's so sad to see that happening, I mean getting drunk isn't the greatest thing on earth.

i hate to post stuff from cnn cause, well ya know, or maybe you don't i'm the one who doesn't know
biggrin.gif
. but anyway thought this was interesting.

i would argue that this is a societal problem not at all limited to college. for example we could focus a study on the effects of alchohol in a small town and come up with similar results. we could focus a study on people with the last name smith, who wear a red shirt on tuesday, you get the point...
biggrin.gif

cnn
WASHINGTON (AP) -- An estimated 1,400 college students are killed every year in alcohol-related accidents, according to a study released Tuesday -- a study that researchers call the most comprehensive look ever at the consequences of student drinking.

The researchers say the figures show that college drinking needs to seen as a major health concern.

"Historically, I think there has been the view that whatever college students are doing, it's not that serious a problem, it's a rite of passage," said Kenneth J. Sher, a psychology professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

The study by the federally supported Task Force on College Drinking estimated that drinking by college students contributes to 500,000 injuries and 70,000 cases of sexual assault or date rape. Also, 400,000 students between 18 and 24 years old reported having had unprotected sex as a result of drinking.

The study does not say whether the problems are increasing or decreasing. A Harvard School of Public Health survey released last month reported that more students are abstaining from alcohol, but levels of binge drinking -- having at least four or five drinks at a sitting -- are the same as in the early 1990s.

The new report is one of 24 studies commissioned by the task force of college presidents, scientists and students convened by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. The institute is part of the National Institutes of Health.

Most of the papers will be published in the forthcoming March issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol.

Researchers integrated various databases and survey results to reach their findings.

Fatalities: Cars, falls, drownings
Motor vehicle fatalities were the most common form of alcohol-related deaths. The statistics included college students killed in car accidents if the students had alcohol in their blood, even if the level was below the legal limit.

Students who died in other alcohol-related accidents, such as falls and drownings, were included. Those who died as a result of homicides or suicides were not.

Chief researcher Ralph Hingson of the Boston University School of Public Health said he believes the estimates are more likely to be too conservative than overstated.

"I think actually getting the numbers out will help the public understand that this is a very large problem, perhaps a larger problem than people might have otherwise thought," he said.

------------------
> > >

Back
Top Bottom