Stop Democracy - We Want To Win!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sigh: I would be lying if I didn't say that I'd feel temped to do such a thing to Nader, but it really isn't right.

I just heard a Oregoian call into a radio talkshow yesterday {Fri} who say "The Oregonian" [newspaper] reported that there was a message from the RNC [Republican national Committe- i'm sure you all almost recognize the acronym, but just in case someone less informed drops in here] on Friday that some time this pass week were alerting Republicans to go to this event for Nader where people needed 1,000 signatures to get him on the Oregon ballot, and sign the petition to siphon votes away from Kerry since the state is considered a swing state.

ANd if any of you are :ohmy: shocked that I would admit to such a temptation....it is because I know people who are poor, I know people who have become disabled for various reasons. I became poor myself about 10 yrs after having been, oh, lower-middle Middle Class.

My parents {who made it into the MC after growing up poor to lowerclass} basically taught me to respect all people and that included being empathetic/sympathetic to poor people {as Jesus taught- 'do for the least of these you do to me'} etc, since "there by the grace of God go you and I", who knows what might happen to each of us if a confluence of difficult, bad events converge circumstancially around the same time.

Team Bush has already cut health services for the poor, Federal monies fotr Housing, job training & retraining programs. Can you understand why people might be temped to feel that way.

Last edited:
I'm considering creating a right-leaning party just to siphon votes away from them.

Stupid Nader.

Melon

We all know that there's no way Nader can win. I can understand why some people are uneasy about him being on the ballot, especially with the talk of the RNC encouraging his candidacy. I'm not surprised at the lawsuits. After all this is the Litigatious Society From Hell.

Danospano said:
Which proves that money wins elections, not ideas. If this is true, then wouldn't be safe to suggest that our country isn't really a democratic republic, but rather a plutocracy of the rich and the elite? Hmmm...I guess that's not a surprise, but no one seems to mention that anymore.

Viva la Nader!

(insert wisecrack about PIRGs here)

Bush-Cheney volunteers had made similar calls from Bush campaign offices.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...un30,1,1026997.story?coll=la-headlines-nation
THE RACE TO THE WHITE HOUSE

Nader Got GOP Help, Group Charges

From Associated Press

June 30, 2004

WASHINGTON ? A watchdog group said Tuesday it would file a federal complaint accusing two conservative organizations of illegally helping Ralph Nader's presidential campaign, possibly with support from President Bush's reelection campaign.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington planned to file its complaint today with the Federal Election Commission. The group said the Oregon Family Council and Citizens for a Sound Economy violated election laws last week by telephoning people and urging them to help Nader get on Oregon's ballot in November.

Spokesmen for both groups denied wrongdoing.

Both groups acknowledge trying to influence Nader's petition drive Saturday in Oregon in hopes that getting him on the ballot would take votes away from Democrat John F. Kerry and help Bush win the battleground state.

Melanie Sloan, the watchdog group's executive director, said Tuesday that the conservative organizations were corporations prohibited by election law from making campaign donations.

Sloan said she would name the Nader and Bush campaigns in her complaint because of reports that some Bush-Cheney volunteers had made similar calls from Bush campaign offices.

"If Bush-Cheney was soliciting those corporations to assist the Nader campaign, then that's a violation," she said.

Mike White, executive director of the Oregon Family Council, said there was no coordination with Bush's campaign.

"I had my volunteers call and encourage them to go to the (Nader) convention, but I don't think that's federal election activity," he said.

Chris Kinnan, spokesman for Citizens for a Sound Economy, said an outside lawyer assured him the phone calls were proper.

Back
Top Bottom