Stealing Jesus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
It's the title of a book by a man named Bruce Bawer, a gay activist who also happens to be Christian. I read it not long after it came out a few years ago, and although I don't recall it in detail now, it was about how the face of Christian fundamentalism (the "Christian right," let us say) has almost completely taken over the face of American Christianity.

Has anyone else ever read this book? What did you think of it?

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I have not yet read this book, but another one that examines the same topic which I have read and would recommend is called "The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind" by Mark Noll. It's a somewhat scholarly work looking at the history of American Christianity, specifically the rise of Evangelicalism.

Oh--and Bawer also wrote a book (which is also a good read) called A Place at the Table, which sharply critiques certain aspects of the "Gay Pride" movement while still detailing problems with rampant homophobia in America. I think his books are good for people who are torn on issues like homosexuality and religion, because his points are usually pretty moderate and he writes very well.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Anything by Andrew Sullivan, a gay Catholic Republican, is a good read as well.
http://www.andrewsullivan.com

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Wait a minute...an openly "gay Catholic Republican?" This guy has guts!

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the issue. I was raised on the whole fundamentalist perspective of homosexuality.....that it resulted in the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrha, it is an abomination to God, etc.

In my old age (30's) I've met some great people who are gay. Some of which have been much nicer to me than a lot of fellow straight 'macho' dudes. I certainly have a much more balanced view now. Still intrigued by the spiritual questions regarding sexuality, though. I'd love to read the book.

Back
Top Bottom