statistics/tragedies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then why is the 19000 children who die every day because of debt listed as a statistic when the 7 people who dies aboard the Challenger listed as a tragedy?

I think you're talking about a very generalized political view.
Most decent people will agree that both are tragedies.

in fact I find it odd that you've turned the whole thing around. The "old saying" usually comments on how when less than 10 people die it's overlooked yet when thousands die its given world wide publicity.

I don't think theres anybody in the world will say that the genocide in Rwanda in the mid 1990's was anything but a horrible tragedy!

A life is a life is a life

RavenStar said:
Then why is the 19000 children who die every day because of debt listed as a statistic when the 7 people who dies aboard the Challenger listed as a tragedy?

It isnt just a statistic- lots of ppl campaign against this debt problem even dear old Bono- I would say 19000 children dying is a tragedy-but you are the one quoting statistics here though :|

Every time I turn on the news I hear reports on a few people who died in a shooting in the states while thousnda of children are dying everyday. On TLC's top 10 tragedies the Challenger was at number 2 while the Chernobyl incedent was at like 7.

RavenStar said:
Every time I turn on the news I hear reports on a few people who died in a shooting in the states while thousnda of children are dying everyday. On TLC's top 10 tragedies the Challenger was at number 2 while the Chernobyl incedent was at like 7.

It's just because these things stick out in peoples minds. It's a different kind of tragedy, it seems more personalized.

ALSO, the west is VERY VERY eurocentric and we only hear about what happens in africa or elsewhere if we are involved in some way or another

I got a little quiz for you, something my history prof did the other day to explain eurocentrism:

in the last 20 - 25 years there have been 9 countries that have lost over half a million lives due to war. Name them, and NOOOO cheating...lets use the honesty system here.
You'd think we would all know about these since its such a big loss of life! and its in most of our lifetimes.

ok...shoot...no cheating...just guess

I think I can understand the personal thing Basstrap said. Here are my guesses for your quiz.

Afganistan
Iran
Angola
Pakistan
Iraq
Sri Lanka
Saudi Arabia
India
Kazikstan(sp?)

That was harder than I thought. But it was worth a try. I'm looking forwar to history next year. It's too bad it's Canadian history instead of world history.

wow, I'm impressed!

Not bad, better than what i did

Sudan
Rwanda
Iran
Iraq
Afghanistan
Congo

damn, I forget the others!!

maybe you're right with pakistan and sri lanka
though I think ethiopia is one too

But you get the point.
Most people don't know that there are crazy wars going on even now, but we never hear about these because America and Co. is not bombing the hell out of them.

I thought Sudan was one of them. We have a world issues course at my school but I cant take it until grade 12. My friend took it last year and she used to let me read her notebook.

Basstrap said:
Most people don't know that there are crazy wars going on even now, but we never hear about these because America and Co. is not bombing the hell out of them.

Basstrap fucking RULES.

Easily the funniest thing you've ever said Kirk.

Back
Top Bottom