Star Wars Episode 3: An Anti-Bush Film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
teeny, tiny spoilers below.

as a HUGE star wars fan who sobbed at the sheer awfulness of Eps. 1 & 2, i'm greatly relieved to hear that ROTS is supposed to be actually quite good.

i'm also thrilled that Lucas, who i had suspected of being brain dead, is able to nicely draw some political parallels with this film and what's going on in the United States:

Cannes premiere of `Star Wars' raises questions of U.S. imperialism

CANNES, France For some Europeans, George Lucas' latest "Star Wars" film is invoking comparisons to today's political climate.

Audiences viewing "Episode Three -- Revenge of the Sith" at the Cannes Film Festival are comparing the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Among the lines they cite is when Anakin tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." After the Nine-Eleven attacks, Bush said, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

Lucas says he created the "Star Wars" story long before the Iraq war.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Lucas has had the stories in mind since the early 70s.....way before Iraq, Bush, or the war on terror.

The line, "you are either for us or against us" is a pretty standard movie line. To say it directly parralels Bush's statement is a stretch in my opinion.

I am certainly heartened by the fact that the film is well reviewed...(currently 83% positive at Rottentomatoes.com).
I was a massive Star Wars fan as a kid. Can't wait to see it with my dad and brother this Thursday!

i suppose, then, what it really does is further the parallels between Iraq and Vietnam, and between Bush and Nixon.

maybe Lucas is smarter than i thought ...

Lucas smart? Have you heard that dialogue between Padme and Anakin? A third grader could write better stuff!

Weird, I just read this on CNN before I saw your post. . .

Lucas on Iraq war, 'Star Wars'

CANNES, France (CNN) -- "Star Wars" director George Lucas says that although he wrote the original film during the Vietnam War, his six-part saga could apply to the war in Iraq.

''In terms of evil, one of the original concepts was how does a democracy turn itself into a dictatorship,'' Lucas told a news conference at Cannes, where his final episode had its world premiere.

''The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable.

''On the personal level it was how does a good person turn into a bad person, and part of the observation of that is that most bad people think they are good people, they are doing it for the right reasons,'' he added.

The final episode of "Star Wars" blasted into the Cannes film festival Sunday, stirring the greatest hype and excitement here yet, even if it's not in competition for the festival's top prize, the Golden Palm.

Cannes went out of its way to roll out the red carpet for "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith," letting fans in costume meet and greet their screen idols before Sunday night's gala screening. Offshore on the Queen Mary 2, the festival gave a special trophy to Lucas.

"Sith" is an action-packed intergalactic morality play exposing the origins of the diabolical Darth Vader.

It shows a young Anakin Skywalker, played by Hayden Christensen, torn between following his mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), and the power-hungry Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) -- while hoping to save the life of his wife, Padme (Natalie Portman), who is pregnant with the future twin heroes Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.

The film is getting critical acclaim. Though it does have its moments of comic-book dialogue, the finale is an intense human drama. Variety magazine calls it the best "Star Wars" since ''The Empire Strikes Back.''

And so what if "Star Wars" isn't in the competition? It's expected to make more money than all the films vying for the Golden Palm combined.

"Star Wars" is using Cannes as the biggest global launch pad for movies. And the feeling is mutual. Cannes is using "Star Wars" as it tries to balance all its art films with high-wattage Hollywood.

Another film stirring excitement out of competition is Woody Allen's ''Match Point.'' This time he leaves his usual Manhattan venue for Britain, with a modern take on Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment," packed with Hitchcock suspense and a politically incorrect ending.

The 20 films in competition are led by four American, three French and two Chinese entries. Screening Tuesday is ''Broken Flowers'' by U.S. director Jim Jarmusch. Starring Bill Murray, Sharon Stone and Jessica Lange, it's about a father searching for the son he never knew.

In competition for the first time is an Iraqi film, ''Kilometer Zero,'' a tragi-comedy on Iraqi-Kurd relations during the 1980s Iran-Iraq war. It's told from the perspective of a Kurdish man drafted to fight for Saddam Hussein's brutal regime.

It ends with what can be perceived as a slap at France and others who sat out the 2003 Iraq war -- after Saddam fell to the U.S.-led coalition, the main character and his wife, then in exile in Paris, scream out their apartment window, ''We're free! We're free!''

Irvine511 said:
i suppose, then, what it really does is further the parallels between Iraq and Vietnam, and between Bush and Nixon.

maybe Lucas is smarter than i thought ...
Last time I checked Nixon didn't start the war, and Iraq was not fighting an anti-colonial war for decades before US involvement, and Iraq was not partitioned with seperate governments, and Vietnam did not have the stark ethno-religious divides, and Iraq does not have a system of Hamlets rather population centers, and the Insurgency in Iraq does not have support of a regular army or a superpower and Iraq does not have anywhere near the same casualties on any side.......................

It doesn't take a genius to make such a comparison and it takes a bit of reading to see why it is flawed.

Last edited:
I had almost zero interest in seeing ROTS after being burned by the first two prequel movies, but all these positive reviews are getting me excited.

I'm not sure what to make of the supposed ties to what's going on in the world now. For one thing, the United States is still a long ways from becoming a dictatorship. Also, even though I don't like Bush, I wouldn't compare him to Darth Vadar. Karl Rove, on the other hand...:wink:

I read somewhere that at one point in the movie after the Imperial Senate votes to give sweeping powers to the Emperor, Padme says something like, "So this is how freedom dies - to thunderous applause." That does sound a lot like the Patriot Act, but then again, it's not exactly the first time in history that freedoms have been sacrificed in the name of security. I think Lucas is drawing on the past just as much as he is current events.

well, i don't think it's much of a stretch to see that the Empire is a worst-case scenario of the USA sometime in the future -- Lucas came of age in the 1960s and in Vietnam, so there's no question that such events influence his filmmaking. i've also heard, more than once, that the Ewoks were the finest cinematic tribute the Viet Cong ever got.

art isn't politics, and politics isn't art (i'm calling these films "art" for simplicity of the terms of an argument ... they're not terribly artistic, in cinematic terms, but it's necessary to make a distinction). art is always influenced by politics, and no, A_W, there's no way that Lucas is saying "the Empire is the USA and Vietnam is Iraq and that's what i'm saying in this movie." NO artist would ever do that -- you should never comment on what your work is supposed to mean because it ultimatley limits what it can be and because you're going to fail if you're trying to create a literal allegory.

that said, there are more than enough similarities between Iraq and Vietnam to make comparisons, however debatable, and it does seem to me, as a sort of filmmaker and currently working in television, that the inclusion of the line "you're either with me or against me" when spoken by Annakin, and scripted over the past 5 years (the story has been around since the 70s but the script, with dialogue, has not), is highly deliberate.

nothing you see on the screen appears by accident. no line is unintended, nothing is random. films are much, much more highly controlled than we give them credit for, and i don't think the average moviegoer "reads" a film particularly well. we read books well, but we aren't taught to "read" film and television in school the way that professionals are.

and while there's no quesiton that the political angle was played up from Cannes, that doesn't meant that it doesn't exist, that it wasn't intended by Lucas, and perhaps premiering the film in France was a deliberate move on the part of Lucas and his team.

films are very interesting things -- as pieces of popular art, they exist in many dimensions beyond the two-dimensional pictures you see on the screen in your cineplex. there are lots of things going on, and the context of the film -- invented, hype, or unintentional -- is sometimes just as important as the film itself.

my opinion? not having seen the film, i imagine Lucas is drawing loose parallels to the USA of 2005 to the fall of the Republic and the rise of The Empire. probably similar to how The Force is rooted in Asian mysticism. the parallels are there, but at the end of the day they are devices to tell a story, and a good storyteller NEVER lets actualities get in the way of a good story.

Last edited:
Lucas is doing what he should: getting people talking.

this doesn't mean he is being disingenous. the two are not mutually exclusive. i feel it's a fairly safe bet to say that a San Francisco-based filmmaker who came of age in the 1960s doesn't like Bush very much.

Irvine511 said:
well, i don't think it's much of a stretch to see that the Empire is a worst-case scenario of the USA sometime in the future -- Lucas came of age in the 1960s and in Vietnam, so there's no question that such events influence his filmmaking. i've also heard, more than once, that the Ewoks were the finest cinematic tribute the Viet Cong ever got.

art isn't politics, and politics isn't art (i'm calling these films "art" for simplicity of the terms of an argument ... they're not terribly artistic, in cinematic terms, but it's necessary to make a distinction). art is always influenced by politics, and no, A_W, there's no way that Lucas is saying "the Empire is the USA and Vietnam is Iraq and that's what i'm saying in this movie." NO artist would ever do that -- you should never comment on what your work is supposed to mean because it ultimatley limits what it can be and because you're going to fail if you're trying to create a literal allegory.

that said, there are more than enough similarities between Iraq and Vietnam to make comparisons, however debatable, and it does seem to me, as a sort of filmmaker and currently working in television, that the inclusion of the line "you're either with me or against me" when spoken by Annakin, and scripted over the past 5 years (the story has been around since the 70s but the script, with dialogue, has not), is highly deliberate.

nothing you see on the screen appears by accident. no line is unintended, nothing is random. films are much, much more highly controlled than we give them credit for, and i don't think the average moviegoer "reads" a film particularly well. we read books well, but we aren't taught to "read" film and television in school the way that professionals are.

and while there's no quesiton that the political angle was played up from Cannes, that doesn't meant that it doesn't exist, that it wasn't intended by Lucas, and perhaps premiering the film in France was a deliberate move on the part of Lucas and his team.

films are very interesting things -- as pieces of popular art, they exist in many dimensions beyond the two-dimensional pictures you see on the screen in your cineplex. there are lots of things going on, and the context of the film -- invented, hype, or unintentional -- is sometimes just as important as the film itself.

my opinion? not having seen the film, i imagine Lucas is drawing loose parallels to the USA of 2005 to the fall of the Republic and the rise of The Empire. probably similar to how The Force is rooted in Asian mysticism. the parallels are there, but at the end of the day they are devices to tell a story, and a good storyteller NEVER lets actualities get in the way of a good story.

Star Wars is not really a political series of movies, its more about one persons fall from grace and their redemption. The political back drop is there, but it was inspired by what happened to Rome 2,000 years ago, not Iraq today and certainly not Vietnam which was still going on when Lucas was writing the story. Many of Lucas's idea's for the film came to him when he was young, well before much of the turmoil of the 1960s.

The Ewoks were no tribute to the Viet Cong who were completely defeated years before the end of the Vietnam War, after which the regular North Vietnamese military carried on all the fighting. Lucas did want to show that advanced technology did not make one invincible though.

Of course, with art, people can make all kinds of comparisons and claims about what this song means and what this part of the movie really suggest. But Star Wars is filled with themes that are thousands of years old and that is the ground that Lucas used for much of the movies. A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away..... indeed!

does history not repeat itself?

does the fall of the Roman empire not hold lessons for the USA of today?

i also think you're wrong about the Ewoks. they're totally the Viet Cong. and like i said -- these things are devices. you can't say "no, they're not the VC because the VC lost." look at the tactics used by the Ewoks agains the Empire, and you'll see the similarities in a broad sense -- and you yourself got to the point that Lucas was probably making: advanced technology does not make you invincible.

could this apply to the US army, so amazingly advanced, yet so vulnerable to cheap roadside bombs and boxcutters?

Irvine511 said:
Lucas is doing what he should: getting people talking.

this doesn't mean he is being disingenous. the two are not mutually exclusive. i feel it's a fairly safe bet to say that a San Francisco-based filmmaker who came of age in the 1960s doesn't like Bush very much.

Its safe to say that the hero's of the Star Wars movies have very little in common with 60s San Francisco pacifist/drug/free love culture. The Jedi Knights are from the middle ages. How Lucas feels about Bush is irrelevent to a film that was written 30 years ago based on idea's Lucas had been thinking about since he was a child.

but things evolve, Lucas evolves, and the scripts weren't written 30 years ago, the scripts have been written recently and only completed in the past 5 years.

look at all the Asian mysticism in the films -- very contemporary.

you're right in that many elements of Star Wars are timeless, but so are many elements of modern politics, and dare we say it, human nature.

and Lucas is the maker of the film. how he feels about Bush is certainly relevant to him as a filmmaker -- and check out Coemgeon's article posted earlier.

films aren't one thing or another; they are many, many things mixed up in the mind of the director.

Irvine511 said:
does history not repeat itself?

does the fall of the Roman empire not hold lessons for the USA of today?

i also think you're wrong about the Ewoks. they're totally the Viet Cong. and like i said -- these things are devices. you can't say "no, they're not the VC because the VC lost." look at the tactics used by the Ewoks agains the Empire, and you'll see the similarities in a broad sense -- and you yourself got to the point that Lucas was probably making: advanced technology does not make you invincible.

could this apply to the US army, so amazingly advanced, yet so vulnerable to cheap roadside bombs and boxcutters?

You can make the claim that anything that has ever happened in history holds lessons for anyone anywhere today. But that is not what Star Wars is about. Its about one mans fall from grace and his redemption. The political background in the story was inspired by what happened to Rome 2,000 years ago. Rome was similar to the "Old Republic" at one point and then it became an Empire with an Emperor.

Lucas did not write the movies about the VC, the US Army, or boxcutters. Lucas's statement on technology was on technology period, it was not directed at the US military or government or some time period in history.

The VC murdered hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese civilians by the way, I don't recall the Ewok massacre of any innocent civilians in Star Wars, but oh well.

Irvine511 said:
but things evolve, Lucas evolves, and the scripts weren't written 30 years ago, the scripts have been written recently and only completed in the past 5 years.

look at all the Asian mysticism in the films -- very contemporary.

you're right in that many elements of Star Wars are timeless, but so are many elements of modern politics, and dare we say it, human nature.

and Lucas is the maker of the film. how he feels about Bush is certainly relevant to him as a filmmaker -- and check out Coemgeon's article posted earlier.

films aren't one thing or another; they are many, many things mixed up in the mind of the director.

The story was written 30 years ago! Pick up the the first book that came out in November 1976 where even in the small intro one can see the political events that take place over the course of the 3 movies that Lucas has currently been releasing! Lucas wrote the back story first, prior to the 3 original movies that came out in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Star Wars fans have known what happens in these 3 movies for nearly a quarter of a century including details of the epic battle between Anikan/Vader and Obi-Wan at the Lava pit or Lava area.

The scripts are simply edited versions of Lucas's story.

How Lucas feels about Bush today is irrelevent to a story that was already written over 30 years ago!

I'm sure many South Vietnamese wished the VC were like Ewoks-then they would not have been tortured, raped, pillaged, or forced to flee to the US.

I think the episode of "The Simpsons" with the "Bear Patrol" would have been a great parody of post-9/11 America, had it not aired several years before 9/11 in 1996.

Here's a link that has an in-depth summary of the episode.

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F20.html

Read towards the bottom with all the quotes. I'm chuckling over the fact that the episode starts with a bear ("terrorist attack"), then overblows into an expensive "Bear Patrol" (Department of Homeland Security), then heads to a new tax to pay for the "Bear Patrol," where, instead of blaming the excessive "Bear Patrol," they blame illegal immigrants and start a campaign to get rid of them.

Remind you of the present at all?

Melon

STING2 said:

The story was written 30 years ago! Pick up the the first book that came out in November 1976 where even in the small intro one can see the political events that take place over the course of the 3 movies that Lucas has currently been releasing! Lucas wrote the back story first, prior to the 3 original movies that came out in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Star Wars fans have known what happens in these 3 movies for nearly a quarter of a century including details of the epic battle between Anikan/Vader and Obi-Wan at the Lava pit or Lava area.

The scripts are simply edited versions of Lucas's story.

How Lucas feels about Bush today is irrelevent to a story that was already written over 30 years ago!

yes, i knew the story in 1984 as a small child, but that doesn't mean that Lucas didn't purposely script the Anakin like that's getting so much press. it seems perfectly timed to echo contemporary politics, and Lucas is never going to come out and say, "well this is what i mean." films dont' work that way, directors don't work that way. many, many reviews have pointed out the anti-Bush/imperialism elements in this film. but it seems like you think films can only mean one thing, or do one thing, or that they're either about Rome or the USA and they can't possibly be about both.

scripts are simply edited versions of Lucas' story?

please, take a screenwriting class, or read some scripts.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
I'm sure many South Vietnamese wished the VC were like Ewoks-then they would not have been tortured, raped, pillaged, or forced to flee to the US.

ugh.

nuance gets so lost on some people. the Ewoks are not a literal recreation of the viet cong, they are a cinematic version of an element of the VC -- which is sticks and stones bringing down the greatest power in the galaxy via guerilla warfare and being much more familiar with the terrain of battle.

and it's all about perspective, isn't it? perhaps if you were VC you woudl have looked at the cuddly Ewoks and said, "yes, that's just like us and it's those american soldiers that have raped our women, burned down our villages, bombed our countryside, napalmed our jungles, and we never wanted them here to begin with."

By this train of thought the Ewoks could be any guerilla force from history, be it Spaniards during the Napoleonic Wars or the French Resistance during WWII or Francis Marion in the swamps of South Carolina during the Revolution-this means that we can apply many of our perceptions to the Ewoks.

Also, if I read your post correctly, you hint that the VC brought down the US. Militarily, the VC got their butts kicked. After the Tet offensive the NVA had to carry the lion's share of fighting because the VC had been weakened.

So Lucas says that what he felt of Vietnam certainly had an influence on his original idea, and the overall storyline for the whole series. He also says that HE sees parallels between Vietnam and Iraq. So whats the argument? Whether the links he is making in his head are right or wrong, it's his film and that's what he suggests. You can't really argue with that.

STING2 said:

It's apparently not that irrelevant if Lucas himself is talking about it.

Star Wars was inspired from a lot of different things, and it seems that when he was writing it, in the early 70's, Vietnam might have crossed his mind. Why else would he be talking about it now, and comparing it to Iraq?

Ft. Worth Frog said:

Most South Vietnamese didn't support the U.S., because South Vietnam was a dictatorship. It's not as if the U.S. was trying to promote democracy in the region. In fact, the war started after they knew an election to unite Vietnam in the 1950s would yield a communist leadership. In other words, the U.S. was thwarting the will of the Vietnamese people in the name of "anti-communism."

Melon

Hm.

As a genuine Uber-fan (I saw the first film 8 times in the theater when I was 7 yrs old in 1977, Empire 12 times--boy did my stepdad hate me!:) and someone who has spent collecting and reading most of the novels (and I think that some of them ARE canon--but that's a debate for fans, Irivne, you'll know what I mean!:)--and ROTJ 10, let me comment here.

last night I did something I haven't done in quite a while: watched the prequels. And it is amazing how much the story of the Republic seems to be panning out to the events of the last 10 yrs or so.

Geroge Lucas did not write the origional trilogy novelizations, but he DID write the Prologue, which is basically the outline of the plot of the prequels. It says (and yes, I am literally quoting this out of my head): "aided and abetted by restless, corrupt officials, AND BY THE MASSIVE ORGANS OF COMMERCE, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to become Chancellor of the Republic. Once in office, he shut himself away from the populace... and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears."

(mini spoiler ahead)

I won't comment on the machanations of allegory (which I suspect Lucas dislikes as strongly as Tolkien, his inspiration, did; this is why he does not name names, although he is not averse, it seems, to discuss a society's state of being--I saw another article at about Cannes on Oscarwatch.com yesterday) but one thing that startles me more than any other was the apparent answer to a question that has been bothering me all these years:

Was Palpatine's destruction of the Jedi a act that he committed during his takeover of the galaxy, the miltary part of it, was it a byproduct of the aftermath of the Clone Wars, or was it a premeditated act that he did DURING his rise to power? How could the people of the Republic possibly approve, or how did they react? The answer posed in Sith shocks me: that after the events of the prequels, in which Palpatine apparently creates a set of artifical galactic disturbances (the Naboo Trade Federation dispute, the phony "seperatist movement" of Clones) he created a state where the security of the Republic was a t risk because the JEdi were spread out too thin around the galaxy and there were not enough of them to stop the escalating chain of violent events happening all over the galaxy.

Thus, Palpatine was able to proceed easily with the next-and most crucial--phase of his plan: (and as a Sith, he knew he's HAVE to do this before hand or his takeover scheme would be futile): mount an effective public relationd campaign that would result in the public's-and the Senate's enthusiastic endorsement of Paplatine's plan to remove the Jedi. That's right: he doesn't just do it; he goes ahead and makes sure the polls tell him it's the right time to do it. The public, then, is a full and willing particpant in the murder of their saviors. By the time of Sith, the Galactic public thinks of the Jedi as stupid, greedy for power, arrogant (an opinion that Yoda seems to share, curiously) and inept. They are a nuisance best neutered, for the public good, if not destroyed outright. What I can't wait for in the film (and I hope Lucas shows, if only by way of showing Bail Organa's reaction) is the Senate's reaction to the massacre in the Jedi Temple: did their words and actions justify and support ACTUAL murder as well as political "murder"? And was Palpatine justified in going that far when the galaxy was in a state of war, no matter how bad? Does the public know the full extent of what he planned to do to the discredited Jedi? Doubtfully. I hope Lucas tells us what Palpy told the public would happen to them.

Thoughts of the Patriot Act, and Gitmo, surface here....

These questions aren't just questions. This was brought home to me when after rewatching The Pantom Menace Qui-Gon tells Padme: "We are keeprs of the peace, not soldiers...we can only protect you. We can't fight a war for you." And Lucas also tells us that the Jedi were the gaurdians of peace AND JUSTICE in the Old Republic. ( I hope even you casual fans can recall where THAT quote comes from!)

Peace and justice. Does this start to ring a bell? When you think of the current campaign to discredit the UN as an insitution, and America's abandonment of multilatralism in favor of the solitary trappings of Empire, it;s hard not to see the Jedi in a new light. The Old Republic did not need an army becuase its prosperity guarunteed its peace. Or so each Chancellor was arrogrant enough to believe. So that when a threat arose, it was at a disadvantage.

Each country needs its army. But it also needs ties to other countries., And itmight be good to recall why the UN was established in the first place.

As for Justice, one needs only recall the threat against Justices and judges in recent months and the filibuster drama CURIOUSLY beginning this very week in Congress (just today the final talks broke down--what timing), and this acuirres a more urgent light.

In the Lord of Rings, characters such as Frodo, Sam and Aragron resperesented Archtypes as much as ourselves: Frodo as the Everyman who experiences all the changes of life (his very name comes from the old German Frode, "one who has experienced or seen much"); Sam, friendship; Aragorn, individual principles and human capabilty of nobilty. (One might also portray him as the romantic archtype in his devotion to Arwen, but that's another story...Ai! Viggo:cute: )

So Star Wars, too, the characters are Archtypes as much as ourselves:

Anakin: the Everyman, fallen and risen (virgin birth crap aside--I used to think before the prequles came out it would have been great if he was Palpy's bastard child or something, that as an up and coming politican on Naboo he had had an affiar with Shmi and fathered Anakin, and then packed them secretly off into slavery on Tatooine before the baby was born, to hide the potential skeleton in his closet as he climbed the ladder of power..and Shmi never tells her son this...GOD, what aplot line that would have been! Luke facing down his grandpa in ROTJ and he didn't know it! And expalining Luke's power!).

Padme: Freedom. Both of countries and the human spirit. She is symbol and metaphor for Freedom. Which explains everything she does in the prequels, and her quote about this in Sith. Which is why she has to die at the end of the film...why she does not for example survive and flee with Leia to Alderaan and die after a few years. In Lord of the Rings, Tolkien said in the Appendices that Arwen was the fairest creature in ME (indeed, she had athe blood of a demi-goddes in hee vains--she is living link between the human and divine, as Luthien's descendant)--she is the literal representation of Good. So that she cannot survive if Sauron won--as his pwer grows, hers indeed weakened.) Likewise, if Palpatine won, Freedom (or Liberty--DON'T think Lucas chose that old-fashioned Declaration 18th-century word by accident, or because it sounds good!) would be dead. Padme CANNOT survive at the end--Freedom is dead. But she carries Hope in her body, and the only trusim worth noting, it seems, for Lucas, is the eternal truth that Hope never really dies: it rests there in our children.

Which makes him perhaps the greatest optimist of our day, even as others despair.

The most interesting thing, though, in terms of today's current events, (and in light of watching the films again), is Lucas' visual represtation of the SPIRITUAL disentigration (and rebirth) or countires and societies. This is why Palpatine can't just be an ordinary corrupt, power-seeking politician from Naboo. He also has to be a Sith Lord who either penetrated Naboo's political system, or a ordonary man who decided for whatever reason to dabble in the Dark Arts and fell from grace. He has to be the visual representation of the inversion, or perversion, of a cherished SPIRITUAL belief or state of being. Corruption and disentigration of the Body (the Republic) is impossible without corruption of the Soul. Thus, he is the ultimate corruption of the Force. The Force is thrown "out of balance" when too much power is amassed in one individual. (Very Eastern way of thinking!)

I am sure that Lucas could not have POSSIBLY predicted the rise of "Christian" Bush and those I like to call the Taliban in our government and other more local places, and their profound effect on politics, busines, society and culture but he must be shaking his head in astonishment at how closely his metaphoric trusims are playing themselves out today, in starkly literal terms (the schisms in chruces due to the "designer" issues of gay marriage and abortion; the expelling of people from congregations who didn't vote for Bush; the attempt to enter list of congregations of major churches onto Republican databases, and have churces classified as tax-free contrubution zones etc) I imagine that out of all the things he wrote, he never saw THAT one coming. Not in America! Not to call Bush a Sith Lord (!) but there IS another quote from the film that so far nobody in the media except the NY TImes has picked up on: "Only a Sith thinks in absolutes."

What he might be implying about the consequences of America's artifical fracturing along so-called "spiritual" lines can only be conjectured. Remember Lincoln's quote: "If destruction be out lot, we must ourselves be iths author and finsisher. As a nation of free men, we willlive forever..or die by suicide." That never has seemed more true today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom