Springsteen Interview on "Vote for Change" Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
speedracer said:

Let's also put Ted Nugent, Charlie Daniels and the Ramones on the right scale.

Not sure which side wins out intellectually, but I know which side I'd take in a cage match.

Speed, you'd seriously, with a straight face, put Teddy and Charlie up next to guys like Bono, Bruce, Dylan, Neil Young....? I don't mean in a cage match. :p I mean, in a creds. match.

SD

Ted Nugent could gut and serve them all for supper. Charlie could just sit on them. The Ramones are republicans? :confused: Bono must not be happy;)

Have we actually gotten to the point where we are saying "the stars supporting my candidate are better than the stars supporting your candidate"???

nbcrusader said:
Have we actually gotten to the point where we are saying "the stars supporting my candidate are better than the stars supporting your candidate"???

i unsuccessfully used a similar campaign to capture my student councils treasurer position in the epic election of the spring of 92 for the falls school year. i chose to ground my campaign in 'hot girls' and 'cool guys'. my opponent, however, was aligned with hotter and cooler people.

If someone bases their political beliefs solely on what their favorite artist believes, I feel sorry for them. Unfortunately there are plenty of sheep out there that would jump off a cliff for Eddie Vedder if he said to do so.

That being said, I will not be going to ?Bush Bashing Tour 2004? when the circus comes to my town. It is too bad too, because I admire Pearl Jam, DMB, REM, JT?s music. I go to concerts to take a step away from reality. I like being entertained. Musicians are entertainers/role models if you will. When I hear the Dixie Chicks trashing our President on foreign soil, it is a huge turn off for me.

Yes, music and politics go hand and hand. Creativity thrives through controversy. Rock and Roll is a loud, vocal, and rebellious creature by nature. I guess some of these artists don?t care about career suicide. Do they not take into consideration 50% of their audience doesn?t agree with their political views? Then again, the 50% that doesn?t won?t be going?

So if you believed in their stance you'd go? And if the Dixie Chicks said they were proud of G.W. on foreign soil you'd be turned on? Doesn't make sence to me, but you're entitled to that opinion.

I don't know if I would go due to the fact that I am already stretched thin on traveling to concerts and festivals this summer and fall. Probably not, now that I think about it. I can't in good conscious support this tour. For the same reason I guess I refuse to pay money to see Fahrenheit 9/11. I am not slamming them for doing this tour, by all means. I am a 100% believer in the 1st amendment and the 2nd and 3rd and so on and so forth?They have the right to go on tour and glorify anything they want for all I care. I am just saying when I go to see a show?I go for one reason. The music. Not some political statement that the lead singer wants me to believe in.

If the Dixie Chicks said they were proud of GW, then you can call me Whoopie Goldberg. But to answer your question?No I wouldn?t see them because I don?t care for their music. I actually did see the Dixie Chicks on their Fly Tour (I think) because my girlfriend at the time liked them. It was OK, but I?m not a country music fan. But if I did like country music and they said they were proud of GW, same thing. I would leave the show feeling like the show was overshadowed by a political rant.

Let me ask you, if PJ, DMB, REM, etc. went on this tour as Pro-Bush?would YOU go?

swizzlestick said:
Let me ask you, if PJ, DMB, REM, etc. went on this tour as Pro-Bush?would YOU go?

That's an interesting question. I've seen REM, but I have never seen Pearl Jam. Admittedly I might hit the show if they toured as a pro-Bush tour. Since they're not, I'll never know.

swizzlestick said:

Absolutely. If they started talking it would be a good time to get a beer, or hell I may even here something educational, I may learn something. If it's a band I like I'm going to see them it doesn't matter matter what their political leanings. My parents have a freaking "autographed" pic of G.W. and his wife framed in their house because they donated money, I'm not going to stop going to visit my parents. People shouldn't be afraid to hear other people's opinions. Micheal Stipe has spoken very bluntly how he's an athiest, I'm a believer, but it's never stopped me from liking their music.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Absolutely. If they started talking it would be a good time to get a beer, or hell I may even here something educational, I may learn something. If it's a band I like I'm going to see them it doesn't matter matter what their political leanings. My parents have a freaking "autographed" pic of G.W. and his wife framed in their house because they donated money, I'm not going to stop going to visit my parents. People shouldn't be afraid to hear other people's opinions. Micheal Stipe has spoken very bluntly how he's an athiest, I'm a believer, but it's never stopped me from liking their music.

Agreed...

I would shake Michael Stipe's hand, actually, if I had the chance to meet him. For other personal reasons, not politically.

Klaus said:
BonoVoxSupastar :up: (except for the beer - i don't like beer :wink: )

:ohmy:

Sorry to derail this thread for a moment and for speaking in stereotypes, but, Klaus, you're German. And you don't like beer?! :shocked:

OK, now back to our regular broadcast. :wink:

swizzlestick said:
I am just saying when I go to see a show?I go for one reason. The music. Not some political statement that the lead singer wants me to believe in.

Then would you go to a U2 show or a regular Pearl Jam one? Because they often do mix politics and music. Bruce Springsteen has also done if for 25 years (which makes a bit strange that some people refuse to listen to him anymore after 20+ years of following him around just because he announced we participates in this Vote For Change tour).
This also begs the sub-question. Is music entertainment? Or is it also self-expression/art for some?

C ya!

Marty

True.
Even if you've been unable to see a live show of U2 or Bruce, Bono's rant on the lack of gun control in America on the Boston DVD or Bullet should have clued one in.

PS also - Klaus German? Beer?

Popmartijn said:

Then would you go to a U2 show or a regular Pearl Jam one?

I have seen U2 10 times. Pearl Jam once (PJ is in my top 5 concerts I have EVER seen). PJ is an amazing band. They rocked! Eddie said a few things during the show that were political, but not directed at a person. It didn't bother me. I just shrugged it off. Strangers sitting around me, though, would say 'Oh, shut up!', but confessed they had seen them 5 times on that tour.

U2 will insert political statements in their live show as well, i.e. Charlton Heston clip, or Bono altering lyrics...things like that. Again, doesn't bother me too much. I will continue to see PJ, and Dave, and definitely U2 regardless, because musically they are the best bands in the world. I just won't on this tour these artists are putting together, because of its purpose more than anything. It is a turn off...

Popmartijn said:

This also begs the sub-question. Is music entertainment? Or is it also self-expression/art for some?

Yes, it is both. But there is a fine line an artist walks to express a point of view that could alienate a lot of their fans.

swizzlestick said:
Yes, it is both. But there is a fine line an artist walks to express a point of view that could alienate a lot of their fans.

:hmm: Shall I derail this thread or take the risk that someone else will do it? OK, I'll stay nice on this one. :D
Because, I have to say I largely disagree with you here. I think music is much, much more a case of self-expression as it is of entertainment. At least, for the artists you and I mostly listen to (I think). There are many, many great songs where the artist is just screaming, wailing, whining, ranting, rambling, crying, overflowing with joy, being confused, etc. without any regard to entertainment. Their self-expression is what makes it interesting, not whether or not it 'entertains'. I also see many live shows this way, with an artist wanting to express him/herself, telling a story through the setlist and not just to entertain.

:hmm: *is thinking about a comment to put this thread on track again...*

Vote Springsteen for President of the E Street Band! :up:

C ya!

Marty

I think if an artist feels strongly enough about an issue, they will express their opinion and screw the fallout.

By the way Mellencamp joined the group today but I haven't seen wheich venue he will be playing.

Back
Top Bottom