SPLIT--> California's Proposition 8 on Same-Sex Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately he's not fictional, there's a history there, see below

Home Page

gladys-knight-2004.jpg

Gladys would consider you a hater.

No one has to physically confiscate the marriage certificates -- they simply won't be worth anything. The rights married couples are guaranteed will no longer be available to gay couples.

I'd be interested to know what people here think about this: We are all told by many of the anti gay marriage people that civil union means the same thing as marriage. So if all state recognised marriages were nullified and changed to civil unions would you be cool with that?

I'd be interested to know what people here think about this: We are all told by many of the anti gay marriage people that civil union means the same thing as marriage. So if all state recognised marriages were nullified and changed to civil unions would you be cool with that?

That's my whole point, apparently not.

<>

Why do the "Yes on 8" crowd think it's more progressive to take the rights away altogether instead of getting the name changed?

An organization that was officially racist a few decades ago, and had to found a state because nobody else could stomach their definition of marriage really has some balls to get involved here.

No. I like being married. I want others to be able to be married. My marriage is not so tenuous that it needs others excluded from having one.

They just wanted to win over the Left and the liberals. At the expense of civil rights? So be it.
Scapegoating is scapegoating. Perhaps someone will argue that liberal support of gay marriage is 'reverse scapegoating' done expressly to harm social conservatives and their families.

CA does have domestic partnerships, but you'd need a legislative framework in place to automatically convert invalidated marriages. Needless to say that wouldn't make gay and lesbian married couples feel any better about it, nor their children. But they're too few in number for their private pain to qualify as a public concern, so, who cares I guess.

No. I like being married. I want others to be able to be married. My marriage is not so tenuous that it needs others excluded from having one.

Well, given their Polygamist roots, I can understand why the LDS want a bigger pool of available women for them.........remember "marriage has never always been exclusively between 1 man and 1 woman"

BS.

Bet you a soadie Rick.

<>

It's BS? Really? Why?

PROPOSITION 8
This initiative measure is submitted to the people in accordance with the
provisions of Article II, Section 8, of the California Constitution.
This initiative measure expressly amends the California Constitution by
adding a section thereto; therefore, new provisions proposed to be added are
printed in italic type to indicate that they are new.
SECTION 1. Title
This measure shall be known and may be cited as the “California Marriage
Protection Act.”
SECTION 2. Section 7.5 is added to Article I of the California Constitution,
to read:
SEC. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized
in California.

What happens to something that is no longer valid or recognized? It doesn't exist, that's what.

BTW, you waged your bet with the wrong BAW...this is the Mrs., just shortened my user name.

I guess at the end of the day the whole issue comes down to a simple matter of dignity. From what I've heard from those opposed to it, they really don't have any idea what dignity really is - they don't know how dignity feels so they cannot grasp the desire to feel dignified. They will say they do, and they probably honestly believe they do, but they don't. Dignity is inner strength, compassion and courage. Bigotry is weakness, anger, fear, and ignorance. That shit leads to the dark side, Luke.

I could take you more seriously if you didn't have that bizarre facial tic, Obi-wan.

But, what you say is true.

I guess at the end of the day the whole issue comes down to a simple matter of dignity. From what I've heard from those opposed to it, they really don't have any idea what dignity really is - they don't know how dignity feels so they cannot grasp the desire to feel dignified. They will say they do, and they probably honestly believe they do, but they don't. Dignity is inner strength, compassion and courage. Bigotry is weakness, anger, fear, and ignorance. That shit leads to the dark side, Luke.

Wow. Nice one. :up:

i know your team was a little late to the game on on that whole annoying "racism" thing so it's no surprise you'd still be stuck in you rmedieval thinking.
Let's not get into generalizing about people's intellects based on their denominational membership, please...there's enough to legitimately argue against here without resorting to that.

Let's not get into generalizing about people's intellects based on their denominational membership, please...there's enough to legitimately argue against here without resorting to that.

We're talking their support of insitutionalized discrimination, not their IQ. If one is part of an organization which has historically practiced bigotry, and still does in present day, it sheds light into people's position and thought process.

It's not necessarily polygon's fault he's a bigot, he was essentially 'raised' in that atmosphere and really may just not know any better.

Anyhow, I have work to do so I won't push it again tonight, but I'll be back to check on the damage tomorrow.

Cheers.

Blacks and Mormons - LDS Racism Bigotry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom