SPLIT--> California's Proposition 8 on Same-Sex Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm embarrassed that it's even close :mad: Martha's right though, the fact that this proposition was even deemed necessary means that it's the beginning of the end for the bigots. I think in a couple of decades, you're going to be hard-pressed to find anybody willing to admit they voted against gay marriage.

They've tried to vote it down in MA and it keeps failing, they will try and try again but I am hopeful that it will keep failing. It is inevitable just like it was inevitable that one day we had an African American President. For the first time in a long time I have a glimmer of hope that people are changing for the better.

I'm just glad that I didn't have to vote on someone else's rights as a human being to be who they are and love who they do and celebrate that love with a marriage- it's not something that I want to do.

These gay marriage bans and lack of any federal recognition for even basic civil rights are why I'm quite contented to wait out this flailing generation of reactionary conservatism in Canada. I might have a new job in Toronto soon--wish me luck.

I just got to work where, after having been closed yesterday, we will have a staff meeting then go directly to lunch to celebrate (there are only 9 of us, all lefties from way back) and close down for the afternoon. However, rather than finding everyone in the kitchen talking excitedly and sharing the joy of the day, everyone's sitting quietly at their desks, mourning Prop 8.

Oh my gosh, it's too close to call? I went to bed assuming it would pass.

Wow. Here's hoping it fails.

it should be interesting watching 16,000+ marriages be dissolved and stripped of meaning.

i'm sure Jesus would be so proud.

It baffles me that there is a state that has one city voting to try and make prostitution legal can also then do this sort of bullshit.

Granted, I don't know how the San Francisco vote did, but talk about contradictions within one state.

It baffles me that there is a state that has one city voting to try and make prostitution legal can also then do this sort of bullshit.

Granted, I don't know how the San Francisco vote did, but talk about contradictions within one state.

the data i've seen suggests that the Bay Area went, like, 75% against the Hate Proposition.

the Central Valley was the reverse in favor of rancid discrimination.

it fell along age lines -- young people believe in dignity, old people are hateful -- and racial lines as well -- whites an asians were against hate, latinos were evenly split, blacks voted for hate (in a horribly ironic moment ... though, what was weird was when i was just typing "moment" i actually first typed "Morment")

there's a weird, warped thing going on with the Mormons and the blacks teaming up to gang up on the gays.

it's like a discrimination hate fuck thing. can't quite wrap my head around it.

Other proposition news....

Colorado has voted against a measure defining life as beginning at conception.

MA voted down a bill to repeal its state income tax.

Nebraska voted for ending affirmative action.

Michigan voted for allowing the use of medical marijuana.

Maryland voted for allowing video lotteries.

I think it's pretty clear that Michigan people are the wisest and most informed people in the Union. Go Michigan!

in some good news, Marilyn Musgrave of CO got her ass booted out.

her sole purpose in Congress had been to antagonize gay people.

Yes, but it's not SAME SEX prostitution, so it's ok. No worries. I'm confident the good straight people of Cali won't let the gays ruin the sanctity of Prostitution.

it should be interesting watching 16,000+ marriages be dissolved and stripped of meaning.

i'm sure Jesus would be so proud.

I can't even put into words how sad and pissed off I am right now.

I keep thinking back to last August, when a lesbian couple from Seattle announced that they had gotten married a few days before while they were in SoCal for Doozer's wedding. Martha was there and what I clearly remember is HER reaction, the look on her face and how she said something like "isn't love great!"

I can't believe that half of California is so threatened by that love, they have actually made it illegal.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable in your own bigotry, Irvine. This isn't a simple or easy situation at all.

you've protected the children, nathan. that's really what it's all about, right? the children?

18,000 couples and 55,000 children were done terrible harm today.

you must be so proud.

please, tell me nathan, how am i a bigot?

I can't believe that half of California is so threatened by that love, they have actually made it illegal.

no, see, the situation is really complex.

and has such profound implications for society.

and it's about families and biology.

really.

the implications of Doozer getting married cannot be comprehended by mere mortals like you and i. it sent of little shockwaves around the world that shoot the very foundation of what it means to be human and to be part of a society.

it's that complex!

please, tell me nathan, how am i a bigot?

That comment had really bothered me as well, but I struggled with how to respond.

Is the thought that everyone should respect and tolerate everyone else's opinions, even when those opinions are bigoted and discriminatory?

That we should practice tolerance towards someone else's intolerance?

If that's what was meant, then I strongly disagree.

Count me in another one baffled and pissed at the outcome of the Prop. 8 vote.

I'm glad the bay area did it's part to reject this nonsense, but still can't believe it was this close, let alone that it passed.

Like deep said earlier, I hope the supporters of Prop. 8 live long enough to regret this decision.

a lesbian couple from Seattle announced that they had gotten married a few days before while they were in SoCal for Doozer's wedding. Martha was there and what I clearly remember is HER reaction, the look on her face and how she said something like "isn't love great!"

I keep thinking about them. I had tears of joy in my eyes when she told me they had gotten married. Now, the tears are the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom