SPLIT--> California's Proposition 8 on Same-Sex Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It reminds me of what happened right before slavery was outlawed, and then right before voting rights were finally enacted. The opposition feels its control slipping away, so it gets baroque and insane in its attempts at control.

Then, the oppressed group and its allies rise up say "Knock that shit off! We're people too, assholes."

It may be a series of setbacks that piss everyone off, but the tide is turning, very slowly. Just the idea that these people think this behavior needs to be stopped means that the behavior is happening. Before, it wasn't even happening; it was so underground that it couldn't even be acknowledged. Now, it's so common, it scares people and they're trying to stop the tidal wave.

They won't be able to stop it.

Arkansas Gay Couple Adoption Ban Proposition:

Yes: 57%
No: 43%

Reporting: 56%.

Arkansas would like to remind everyone that the ban in this amendment is on all unmarried sexual partners, and not just gays. It's purely a coincidence, they swear.

This bigotry will, too, end.

Time waits for no man.

In the meantime, other states and nations will be a beacon of light for you to show you what equality means.

Proposition 8, which would ban same-sex marriage in California, is off to an early lead, with absentee ballot returns showing the measure with 56 percent of the vote, according to the Secretary of State's Office.

Only 13 percent of precincts were reporting at 9 p.m.

Exit polls had the race a virtual tie. Parents, churchgoers and voters who never attended college said they voted for the gay marriage ban, while college-educated and nonreligious voters opposed it, according to The Associated Press.

On a positive note, the major obstacle that has stood in the way of NY State legalizing gay marriage - the Republican-majority State Senate - fell tonight as we are now looking at a Democratic-majority State Senate. I think once they've tackled the looming budget deficit issue, we'll see another attempt to pass the legislation and now there will be a much better chance of it passing, the State Assembly and the Governor are already supportive...

we'll see what happens.

i look forward to INDY and nathan rejoicing while they watch loving couples being negated in the eyes of the law.

what a joyous occasion!

Thanks for those links yolland and Irvine511.

Right now, it's 52% yes - 48% no - with 87% in - roughly 350,000 difference in votes.

I'm originally from the Netherlands, where same sex marriage was legalized in 2001 and now live in the SF bay area. So clearly would have liked to have seen a different outcome myself. But what I feared, has unfortunately happened.

Small consolation : 8 of the 9 Bay Area counties voted no. (Only Solano voted yes).

But for the whole state, it's 42 counties - yes
16 counties - no

And what about this?

Los Angeles - Yes 1,287,041 51% - No 1,261,518 49% - 97% of precincts reporting

It reminds me of what happened right before slavery was outlawed, and then right before voting rights were finally enacted. The opposition feels its control slipping away, so it gets baroque and insane in its attempts at control.

Then, the oppressed group and its allies rise up say "Knock that shit off! We're people too, assholes."

It may be a series of setbacks that piss everyone off, but the tide is turning, very slowly. Just the idea that these people think this behavior needs to be stopped means that the behavior is happening. Before, it wasn't even happening; it was so underground that it couldn't even be acknowledged. Now, it's so common, it scares people and they're trying to stop the tidal wave.

They won't be able to stop it.

It will end. The crescendo of fear is cresting about this, and then it will subside. Every group endures this when it finally demands equality.

Nicely said, martha!

Time will come.
Although sooner rather than later would have been nice.
But the tide is surely turning :

In 2000 the results of prop 22 which prevented California from recognizing same-sex marriages was 61.4% approval and 38.6% against.

Eight years later - 52% vs. 48%.

And once the results have been analyzed, it'll become very clear which specific areas and groups to target better next time.

I mean that the state shouldn't be discriminating against gay citizens even when it has popular approval, some issues should simply be off limits, these would be things like secularism and free speech, and in a sense equal recognition of consensual relationships.

Oh doesn't he? I thought when i read an overview of his platform he supported it.
Thats a bit shit though.
Why do people give such a fuck about other peoples sex lives when they don't give a shit whether they live or die by taking away welfare, making medical bills unbelievably expensive and sending people off to die in a stupid war.

That's the position of Diamond and Indy500, separate but equal, recognising civil unions but not use the word marriage.

That's the position of Diamond and Indy500, separate but equal, recognising civil unions but not use the word marriage.

I'm not sure about that...

Just a few weeks ago INDY made the comment "virtually equal", and never followed up. And Diamond thinks they are equal now, and after the years of bringing up animals, robots, and incest I'm not sure if he's willing to truly grant equality :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom