SPLIT--> California's Proposition 8 on Same-Sex Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a minor related note to boycotting businesses etc. Apple Computer has been against prop 8 from the get-go. They recently announced they're donating $100,000 to the cause. :up:

I wouldn't call this bullying but it sounds like Calf. attorney general Jerry Brown is trying to rig the vote against the Proposition 8 by playing on people's emotions.

The language of the amendment itself is simple and cannot be changed: “Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California.” These 14 words remain the issue before the voters this November. But what Jerry Brown did was to change the “ballot language” (the title and description of Prop 8 that voters will see on the ballot when they go to vote) from “Limit on Marriage. Constitutional Amendment.” to “Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry Initiative. Constitutional Amendment.”

Jerry Brown Tries to Sink California Marriage Amendment - HUMAN EVENTS

I wouldn't call this bullying but it sounds like Calf. attorney general Jerry Brown is trying to rig the vote against the Proposition 8 by playing on people's emotions.
[/url]

Oh no!!!!! You mean just like the "Yes On 8 - Religious Freedom" or "Yes on 8 - Protect Parent's rights" signs the mormons were waving in my face last night ?

Or like maybe the ads with the little kid saying "today in school i learned a princess can marry another princess" do, despite the fact that marriage is NOT taught in schools ?

Shame on on trying to play on people's emotions.........

Are you in California by the way ?

Oh no!!!!! You mean just like the "Yes On 8 - Religious Freedom" or "Yes on 8 - Protect Parent's rights" signs the mormons were waving in my face last night ?

Or like maybe the ads with the little kid saying "today in school i learned a princess can marry another princess" do, despite the fact that marriage is NOT taught in schools ?

Shame on on trying to play on people's emotions.........
I should think there's a difference between voters writing signs to wave around and a state official writing the “ballot language.” I guess not.
Are you in California by the way ?
No, but we have courts and unelected judges here in Indiana too and we all know what the next step to move this process along is. Get hitched out in California and then go back home and bring a Full Faith and Credit Clause lawsuit against (insert name of backward, bigoted state here.)

Equal rights. Equal protection. Marriage equality. That's all taxpaying, American citizens in Dearborn, Michigan will ask for.

And toscano will tell them...

Where does Dearborn fit into the California Prop 8 discussion ?

If you're looking forward, more predominantly than Bull Connor, George Wallace, segregation in the South or 100 year old miscegenation laws do.

So, where does Dearborn fit into the California Prop 8 discussion ?

Jerry Brown tries to sink Prop 8... by more accurately describing it?

:hmm:

Seems to me that if by more fully explaining what a proposition intends to do you turn more voters off, it's the proposition itself that's the problem, not whoever is trying to change the wording on the ballot.

This is old news, even older than the August dateline the (incredibly fair and balanced) website gives. The Yes on 8 people took Brown to court about the wording. The judge (oh noes!) let it stand because same-sex marriage is already legal in California and the amendment really, actually does take away a right already in place in California.

Rick Warren endorses Prop. 8
Fred Jackson - OneNewsNow - 10/24/2008 7:40:00 AM

Pastor Rick Warren is endorsing the effort to protect traditional marriage in California.

The well-known Christian author says people in California need to vote "yes" on Proposition 8 because for "5,000 years, every culture and every religion...not just Christianity...has defined marriage as a contract between men and women."

And Warren says "there is no need to change the universal, historical defintion of marriage to appease two percent of our population." As Warren puts it: "This is not a political issue -- it is a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about."

He urges people to vote "yes" on Proposition 8 on November 4 to preserve the biblical definition of marriage.

Story concludes below ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What impact do you think Rick Warren's endorsement

of Prop. 8 will have on Nov. 4th? Vote in our poll

Passage of Prop. 8 would amend the state constitution to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman, negating a California Supreme Court decision in May that legalized same-sex "marriage" in the Golden State. Recent polls indicate California voters are closely divided on the question of homosexual marriage.

1101080818_400.jpg

Bigot?
Uninformed, unenlightened clergy man?

purpose.jpg

You tell me.
<>

The biblical definition of marriage has no place on the books in the United States, he is a bigot and certainly doesn't stand for enlightenment principles. Both parties should be ashamed for their parasitism with this man.

The well-known Christian author says people in California need to vote "yes" on Proposition 8 because for "5,000 years, every culture and every religion...not just Christianity...has defined marriage as a contract between men and women."

And most at one point defined it as one man and several women... I guess Rick forgot that.:doh:

He should stick to writing books, I just hope his books don't involve a lot of fact checking.

The well known Christian author should write about Christian things and stay out the secular legal system.

I'm with A_W on this - I have no idea why they pander to him either.

Rick Warren endorses Prop. 8
Fred Jackson - OneNewsNow - 10/24/2008 7:40:00 AM

Pastor Rick Warren is endorsing the effort to protect traditional marriage in California.

And Warren says "there is no need to change the universal, historical defintion of marriage to appease two percent of our population." As Warren puts it: "This is not a political issue -- it is a moral issue that God has spoken clearly about."

He urges people to vote "yes" on Proposition 8 on November 4 to preserve the biblical definition of marriage.

Story concludes below ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What impact do you think Rick Warren's endorsement

of Prop. 8 will have on Nov. 4th? Vote in our poll

Passage of Prop. 8 would amend the state constitution to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman, negating a California Supreme Court decision in May that legalized same-sex "marriage" in the Golden State. Recent polls indicate California voters are closely divided on the question of homosexual marriage.

1101080818_400.jpg

Bigot?
Uninformed, unenlightened clergy man?

purpose.jpg

You tell me.
<>

Only 2% ? Oh well, then equal rights aren't important, as long as a majority has more rights......

This wouldn't be the first time he's wrong on something, hell half the Christian world thinks he's not even a christian ! He's a super super nice guy in person, his wife is a complete OC-b

Warren's church isn't exactly embracing of the mormon faith, they sugar coat it but Southern Baptists dont exactly fele the love for Mormons, still, they WILL help you "learn" about them !

Saddleback Church - I Have a Friend Who Is...Mormon

as i've said before, the Mormons are aching for the approval of the religious right, that's why they've funded more than half of the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign.

they're picking on the gay kid with the hopes that the class bully will like them better.

Romney in 2012, y'all!

as i've said before, the Mormons are aching for the approval of the religious right, that's why they've funded more than half of the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign.

they're picking on the gay kid with the hopes that the class bully will like them better.

Romney in 2012, y'all!

There's quite a few mainstream christians bigots in my family, i can tell you they will NOT get far right approval any time soon, and those in my family are fairly centrist christians bigots, some o fwhom go to Warren's church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom