Spin off thread: Burial or Cremation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
I think I'd prefer cremation. A few reasons why too. Ive been to one burial service and it was made so much more difficult as there was no closure for me. He was still 'there'. It made it so much harder to comprehend, and I dont want anyone at my service to feel that too.
I also have that fear of being buried alive, I know its rare, and chances are you'd suffocate before too long, but it absolutely scares the shit out of me when I think of it.
The pro's for cremation are the 3 cremations I have seen, seem to no longer have the 'kiln' or whatever its called directly behind the casket. It seems to be a trend for them to take the coffin away after you have all left. I found there was the 'closure' too with the curtain being drawn. I found it comforting in a way, and the final goodbye.
Also, at 1000c if there are any mishaps, I am not going to feel it. Id likely be dead before I could wake up to realise what was going on.

------------------
"I think, therefore I um..."

Donate my organs then buried, if anyone can tolerate seeing my body after the organs are donated.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

I don't like either option. I don't like the idea of cremation because I'm terrified of fire. I know that sounds really stupid since I'll be dead when it happens, but I just hate that thought. On the other hand, seen from the perspective of the people I leave behind (if any), burial lately doesn't seem so nice to me. What happened was that after about 6 years after my grandmother's burial, the grave caved in, meaning that the body and the coffin had now disintegrated. I was okay with it, but my mother was devastated. It was like losing her mother all over again.

Ideally, I would like to be disintegrated completely (imagine some sort of ray that just zaps you - poof!), so I hope that by the time I die, there's some sort of alternative.

Cremation.

Taking up space in a graveyard when you're dead seems awfully stupid and selfish to me.

Ant.

i'd like to die by being blown up
so it'd be a moot point.

no, ummm...whichever my husband did.
biggrin.gif

wow i thought i was the only one with those wierd feelings of if i was buried what if i woke up inside that box 6ft under... just a feeling that i wouldnt like... hell im not even claustrophobic however u spell that but that same thought has crossed my mine to...

which makes me lean toward cremation a lot, but u guys brought up other points i didnt think about... such as the grave caving in again and all the memories u leave behind in other people that they cant seem to walk on from...

being entombed sounds way better than being buried, however cremation is better than being buried to... so im still undecided... lol but i dont even wanna look to that future yet lol

I really don't care. I've been to a lot of funerals, unfortunately. I think probably in all of them the person had been cremated. The only thing that comes to mind for me is that open coffin funerals are not good. Actually, I really don't know if that's done any more.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I want to be buried on top of a hill with a gigantic weeping willow and a nineteenth century-style tombstone and marble statue. I want it to be surrounded by a grassy meadow.

lol...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

My grandmother died of cancer 10 years ago...and she was cremated. I found the whole thing to be very strange because there was no wake and no coffin at the funeral Mass, which I was used to. So, I don't believe I personally ever fully understood what was going on because her body wasn't there (I was 11.)

Originally posted by melon:
I want to be buried on top of a hill with a gigantic weeping willow and a nineteenth century-style tombstone and marble statue. I want it to be surrounded by a grassy meadow.

lol...

Melon

Good idea.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

6 feet under for me. Especially after the news from Georgia.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

I'd go with having my organs donated (although they'll probably be in shit condition the way I'll die) then cremation. Cremation saves room, compcts you back onto you original elements, and last, and most important, there will be no reanimation of my body for use in a super army of the undead.

Originally posted by Zooman91:
...and last, and most important, there will be no reanimation of my body for use in a super army of the undead.

Definitely the most important consideration for me.

------------------
Real Saturday Morning Conversation
(a play in one act.)

Spiral: (to wife) What are you watching?

Spiral's Wife: Digimon.

THE END

Cremation. I wan't people to have a party when I die, not sit around looking at a coffin. Then I want to be taken to someplace beautiful and have my ashes scattered.

I don't really like either idea so naturally I'll side with "I don't care what happens to my body."

but I agree with Peaceblossom, I'd like a celebration when I go

Donate then cremation. My body is just a body, there's no reason I should make my family pay for upkeep of a grave site. Besides decomposing is pretty sick

Originally posted by melon:

lol...

Melon

I want a chainsaw.
biggrin.gif

Read you, Rono.

BTW, burn me when i am dead.

Cremation is much cheaper than a burial, that is why so many are chosing to go that way.

[This message has been edited by dipster (edited 02-27-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom