Spain's National Basketball Team Takes "Slant Eye" Team Photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a similar story. I am half Caucasian, half Chinese. My grandmother on my mom's side who is from rural Newfoundland saw a black woman on tv, and said " she's pretty......for a black person" :shocked:

In the back of mind, I always wondered how some of my relatives would have viewed me had we not been related.

They actually put that on their official web site?

And I think a sponsor "forcing" the basketball team is a lame excuse. They are grown men who are perfectly capable of saying no when they don't think something is morally right.

I have a similar story. I am half Caucasian, half Chinese. My grandmother on my mom's side who is from rural Newfoundland saw a black woman on tv, and said " she's pretty......for a black person" :shocked:

In the back of mind, I always wondered how some of my relatives would have viewed me had we not been related.

My grand daughter is Caucasian/Chinese and she is a beautiful little girl. She is grandma's angel! :wave:

They actually put that on their official web site?

And I think a sponsor "forcing" the basketball team is a lame excuse. They are grown men who are perfectly capable of saying no when they don't think something is morally right.

I am beginning to think so too. Especially after the second photo, I have seen.

I don't think it's offensive. So they were being offensive because they drew attention to an already obvious trait? Please.

You actually have a person on this thread, who very thoughtfully explained to you why that is offensive to him as a person who is part Asian. You still think it's not offensive, though. That's what I don't get.

I don't get how you think it's offensive. See, there are other cultures in the world besides the very picky and sensitive US culture. Take for instance, the spanish. They clearly don't seem to think it's offensive and I believe they are doing it with the most lighthearted intentions. I also don't see why it's offensive. It's not like no one knew what the asian eye shape is.

I don't get how you think it's offensive. See, there are other cultures in the world besides the very picky and sensitive US culture. Take for instance, the spanish. They clearly don't seem to think it's offensive and I believe they are doing it with the most lighthearted intentions. I also don't see why it's offensive. It's not like no one knew what the asian eye shape is.

So if an all white team painted themselves in blackface before visiting Africa it wouldn't be offensive?

As I posted here, when I was a kid, the first time I saw a black person, I was fascinated mostly by their hair (I was 7!). It was really cool to me that the little boy, who ended up being a good friend of mine, let me touch it. I didn't mean any offense and I don't think he took any at all (he was probably too young anyway). When I relayed that story to a black friend in adulthood, she said, that it happened to her often, because her father was an American soldier stationed abroad. And she said she really didn't like it because it felt like she was some kind of exotic animal. Now I'm not saying that I would still do what I did when I was 7, even if I hadn't had the conversation with her, but I'm saying that once she explained it to me, I believed that it was an offensive gesture. Even though it isn't how it was meant to come across, I would most certainly never do it again rather than just repeating the mantra "it's not offensive to ME." Well, who cares if it is or isn't? The point is not to offend the culture that you are commenting on, etc.

So if an all white team painted themselves in blackface before visiting Africa it wouldn't be offensive?

...because God forbid them pointing out that Africa is known for its people's black skin color.

I know people in the states are sensitive about racial tolerance and all that but in other countries there really aren't that many issues about that. Everyone is pretty much the same so things like that don't phase us as much as it does you guys.

...because God forbid them pointing out that Africa is known for its people's black skin color.
But it's not just "pointing out" it's making fun. What part of that do you not get?

I know people in the states are sensitive about racial tolerance and all that but in other countries there really aren't that many issues about that. Everyone is pretty much the same so things like that don't phase us as much as it does you guys.

Have you done a lot of world traveling?

Right, there's a big difference between "pointing out" ethnoracial differences in a mocking, taunting way and the kind of naive if discomfiting fascination anitram was talking about. I've several times been in situations in India where people who'd never seen a 'real live' white person before crowded around staring openly and jabbing their fingers at my hair and eyes; I'm sure some of them would have a similar reaction to seeing a Chinese person. But that's an entirely different feeling for the person on the receiving end than being obviously ridiculed and sneered at for looking different. You could perhaps say "Tasteless, but no harm done" were these wholly private photos circulated among these team members only, but when you have a potential international audience, don't be surprised if people take it as a form of ridicule of Chinese people, which is exactly what it is.

But it's not just "pointing out" it's making fun. What part of that do you not get?

The part where it's your opinion. What would be the difference between that picture and a picture of the team wearing, hm, I don't know, kimonos, or whatever it is they wear over there? Would that be offensive? Would that be making fun?

So what offends you as a person from Honduras? What can I call you or make fun of you for?

Don't say nothing, cause that's bull.
and then let me use it to refer to you even though I have no idea it is offensive to you.

So you think even though it's offensive to you and hurts you but I see no harm in it, I should be allowed to do it. Who's opinion means more, the person being offended, the ignorant offender or the person who is so removed from the situation and has no idea about the history of discrimination towards a particular group of people around the world. I vote for the person being offended.

And no offense to Americans, but I sure as hell ain't an American. Born in Canada so you're sensitive American culture argument doesn't play either.

And you're missing the point most people are making here, ignorance causing offense is acceptable. Not wanted but it happens due to not knowing the difference. Upon awareness of the offensiveness of an action, acknowledgment and apologies are appropriate. It doesn't matter if you don't think its offensive. I sure we can find lotsa clansman who don't think the use of the n-word is offensive either but besides being dumbasses and racists, they aren't the ones who have the right to determine if it is offensive.

So apparently despite knowing now that the actions of the Spanish team is seen as being offensive to Asians all over the world, you think it still isn't offensive. Wow.

The part where it's your opinion. What would be the difference between that picture and a picture of the team wearing, hm, I don't know, kimonos, or whatever it is they wear over there? Would that be offensive? Would that be making fun?

I'm truly sorry that you don't see the difference in making fun of the physical differences and wearing traditional garb...

it might be because of china's control over the media and their own people, but you really haven't heard boo from, say, yao ming about this issue. :shrug:

it's clearly offensive even if they didn't mean it to be that way, it is largely the fault of the advertiser, though. it's easy for us to toss out the "they're grown men they should have decided not to do it" argument from afar, but it's a little different when you're actually in the situation. with the pride that these players take in competing for their national team in the olympics, one could easily see someone agreeing to do something they wouldn't normaly do so as not risk getting on the bad side of the team/country.

oh... and the first article has a factual inaccuracy. marc gasol has never set foot on an NBA court or put on an NBA uniform. he plays in europe. he was drafted by the NBA but has never come overseas to play. not that it matters, but yea.

it might be because of china's control over the media and their own people, but you really haven't heard boo from, say, yao ming about this issue. :shrug:

I think the reason people in China haven't had an outrage is that within China, Chinese are the majority and don't generally experience this as form of discrimination. Actually, there is probably discrimination by some towards non-Chinese which is wrong too. Unfortunately, to the millions of Chinese people and families living around the world, many know the history of this action and its intent, which is not endearment but derisive and demeaning.

It's possible in regards to the media that China is trying to be on its best behaviour and not draw or enhance negative attention to the Olympics. So they told the Chinese team, don't say anything.

For anyone who thinks it's no big deal, next time you meet Asian people whether it be for a job interview, business, in the street, at school or elsewhere. Try it out and see how far it gets you.

I think the issue is over regarding the Spanish team as they have acknowledged their poor judgement.

Well, maybe USA will crush them here this morning!!!! Wooo Hooo USA USA USA

For anyone who thinks it's no big deal, next time you meet Asian people whether it be for a job interview, business, in the street, at school or elsewhere. Try it out and see how far it gets you.

arg460_792528c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom