South Park: Genious Commentary or Late Night Filth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VKX

Babyface
I'm a big fan of south park - I think it's a brilliant sort of satire (although often childish and dirty).

What are your thoughts?

Genius commentary, full stop.

Admittedly, it is not for the easily offended, but that does not make it filth, in my opinion.

I find it interesting to try to guess the political outlook of the creators while watching it.

I could be wrong, but I would guess they are basically libertarian conservatives at heart, but the way they expose each and every ideology and opinion, including conservative opinion, to ridicule is quite refreshing, although, as I said, definitely not for the easily offended or those who lack strong stomachs.

South Park is one of the best things on TV in my opinion, it is like the 12 year old kid who spots that the emperor is wearing no clothes but is the only one that dares to say it, and it makes you wonder, who is really the childish one here, those who take offense, or the creators, who are always one step ahead of any pre-conception you might have had of them.

Of course it is juvenile at times, but that is part of the beauty of the beast.

Last edited:
i love it
i also find i agree with their political views at points(especially of war-antiwar issues)

also have a good amount of gay tollerance

Not filth. Brilliant. In fact, in terms of comedic/satiric cartoons aimed towards adults, I'd say there is only one that can compete with South Park, and that is none other than the Simpsons.

Anyone who can pull off a flick like Team America, gets my full support. I think it's a very clever blend of lowbrow and high road.

I hardly ever watch it but I would agree it's both. I find that kind of humor hard to sustain, though. It's funny for 10 minutes but then I have to move on.

A friend and I were driving through Colorado one day a couple of years ago, a little bit lost, and suddenly I looked around and said to my friend, "Why do I have this eery feeling we're trapped in a cartoon?" and then we realized we were in South Park.

Late night filth?
Its on at 8.30pm here. Is that late?
I think its a hoot!
They get away with so much.
They never really take sides (politically) which is really clever, and something that will ensure its timelesness ( something they have learnt from Monty Pythom me thinks!?)

Both

We can go from laughter to uncomfortable silence in any given episode.

It is also educational.

I didn't realize how bad the rainforest is.....

Actually, some of the commercials run on comedy central are worse than the programs.

Awesome. In my opinion, one of the best shows on TV. :up:

Though, let it be said, the only shows I really watch on TV are crude comedy shows. :wink:

Like cereal....... Do you check for nutritional value on the side of a box of Capt. Crunch??.... No, you just enjoy it.

Has U2 ever been featured as part of a plot line? THAT would be cool...:up:

Back
Top Bottom