Some "Megachurches" will be closed on Christmas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
After all, even the ministers need a day of rest, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/06/churches.closed.christmas.ap/index.html

Some megachurches closing on Christmas
Pastors anticipate low attendance because day falls on Sunday

(AP) -- This Christmas, no prayers will be said in several megachurches around the country.

Even though the holiday falls this year on a Sunday, when churches normally host thousands for worship, pastors are canceling services, anticipating low attendance on what they call a family day.

Critics within the evangelical community, more accustomed to doing battle with department stores and public schools over keeping religion in Christmas, are stunned by the shutdown.

It is almost unheard of for a Christian church to cancel services on a Sunday, and opponents of the closures are accusing these congregations of bowing to secular culture.

"This is a consumer mentality at work: 'Let's not impose the church on people. Let's not make church in any way inconvenient,' " said David Wells, professor of history and systematic theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, a leading evangelical school in Hamilton, Massachusetts.

"I think what this does is feed into the individualism that is found throughout American culture, where everyone does their own thing."
Resource considerations

The churches closing on Christmas plan multiple services in the days leading up to the holiday, including on Christmas Eve.

Most normally do not hold Christmas Day services, preferring instead to mark the holiday in the days and night before.

But Sunday worship has been a Christian practice since ancient times.

Cally Parkinson, a spokeswoman for Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois, said church leaders decided that organizing services on a Christmas Sunday would not be the most effective use of staff and volunteer resources.

The last time Christmas fell on a Sunday was 1994, and only a small number of people showed up to pray, she said.

"If our target and our mission is to reach the unchurched, basically the people who don't go to church, how likely is it that they'll be going to church on Christmas morning?" she said.

Among the other megachurches closing on Christmas Day are Southland Christian Church in Nicholasville, Kentucky, near Lexington, and Fellowship Church in Grapevine, Texas, outside Dallas.

North Point Community Church in Alpharetta, Georgia, outside Atlanta, said on its Web site that no services will be held on Christmas Day or New Year's Day, which also falls on a Sunday. A spokesman for North Point did not respond to requests for comment.
Mainline churches staying open

The closures stand in stark contrast to Roman Catholic parishes, which will see some of their largest crowds of the year on Christmas, and mainline Protestant congregations such as the Episcopal, Methodist and Lutheran churches, where Sunday services are rarely if ever canceled.

Cindy Willison, a spokeswoman for the evangelical Southland Christian Church, said at least 500 volunteers are needed, along with staff, to run Sunday services for the estimated 8,000 people who usually attend.

She said many of the volunteers appreciate the chance to spend Christmas with their families instead of working, although she said a few church members complained.

"If we weren't having services at all, I would probably tend to feel that we were too accommodating to the secular viewpoint, but we're having multiple services on Saturday and an additional service Friday night," Willison said.

"We believe that you worship every day of the week, not just on a weekend, and you don't have to be in a church building to worship."

Troy Page, a spokesman for Fellowship Church, said the congregation was hardly shirking its religious obligations.

Fellowship will hold 21 services in four locations in the days leading up to the holiday. Last year, more than 30,000 worshippers participated.

"Doing them early allows you to reach people who may be leaving town Friday," Page said.

These megachurches are not alone in adjusting Sunday worship to accommodate families on Christmas. But most other congregations are scaling back services instead of closing their doors.

First Baptist Church in Daytona Beach, Florida, led by the Rev. Bobby Welch, president of the Southern Baptist Convention, will hold one service instead of the usual two.

New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, led by the Rev. Ted Haggard, president of the National Association of Evangelicals, will hold one Sunday service instead of the typical three.

Maybe instead of being campaign headquarters for Republican elections and anti-gay hate groups, maybe some of these churches need to examine their own consciences for a while.

Melon

Last edited:
I've never heard of anything like this before - shame on them!! My church always seems to be packed around/on the holiday. I love it :)

"We believe that you worship every day of the week, not just on a weekend, and you don't have to be in a church building to worship." - that is certainly true, but this seems strange to me, that church on Christmas Day should be an issue

Christmas Day is just that, regardless of the day it happens to fall on. I don't see how it can be all that inconvenient. I always go to Mass on Christmas Eve because it's the vigil mass and that's the one I happen to love, and that's my family tradition.

melon said:
Maybe instead of being campaign headquarters for Republican elections and anti-gay hate groups, maybe some of these churches need to examine their own consciences for a while.

Figures that instead of talking about holding a service on a Christmas Sunday (our Ministry and Session discussed this at length), we get yet another tired dose of finger pointing. A FYM special :down:

Perhaps we can create a sub forum for this shit.

I can't imagine not having church on Christmas, and I sure can't imagine not having church on a Sunday. Thanks be to God!

My dad's a minister and he'll be doing his job Christmas Day. He'll probably keep the service short and sweet by reading a story to the kids, sing a few hymns, say a few prayers, and then we'll all go home and spend time with our families :up:

That includes the Christmas Eve service that ends at midnight.

It would be nice if he had the day off so we could go down to NC to be with the rest of our family but he has a duty to the church family.

nbcrusader said:

Making plans to attend Christmas Eve services, if you care.

And some are doing both. I just find it hypocritical for a church to bitch about the public school changing the name to "holiday" to include everyone, yet they close their doors to Christmas themselves.:|

We always have one on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve, regardless of what days they fall on. :shrug:

I'm not a fan of mega-churches in general, so this is just the icing on the big fat religious relativistic cake for me.

I wouldn't accuse these people of engaging in any sort of "war on Christmas" just because of this issue-to be fair at my Catholic church they allowed parishioners to "vote" on a revision of the weekend mass schedule. I don't agree w/ planning mass around activities such as kids sports, other social activities, etc -but that's just me, not everyone feels that way obviously.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And some are doing both. I just find it hypocritical for a church to bitch about the public school changing the name to "holiday" to include everyone, yet they close their doors to Christmas themselves.:|

Great analysis. :|

U2democrat said:
The kind of church where you walk in and it feels like you're in either a mega-mall or an airport.

We don't have them over here.

After the Communist revolution in Europe we burned all the large churches (joke).:wink:

financeguy said:
What's a 'Mega-church'?

A huge-ass church (thousands of members) with the biggest ugliest building you can imagine, hardly the type of architecture that inspires reverence....usually non- or inter-denomination....and you don't know anyone sitting within a 50-foot radius of where you're sitting in church....and you have to read a PowerPoint presentation to get anything out of the sermon.....

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.

How would I define a mega-church? Let's just say it's a church that buys a hugeass sports department store, puts some stained glass windows on, props a big cross up on top, and calls it a house of worship.

Well that's how they built the one a few miles from here, anyway....:hmm:

That's weird. I was always under the impression that Christmas Eve/Day are the busiest days of the year at Church. I know at our Church, people who don't go to mass at all the rest of the year still show up on Christmas. I can't imagine it would be emptied out on that day.

I go to Midnight Mass. Nothing quite like it. :up:

anitram said:
That's weird. I was always under the impression that Christmas Eve/Day are the busiest days of the year at Church. I know at our Church, people who don't go to mass at all the rest of the year still show up on Christmas. I can't imagine it would be emptied out on that day.

It is for us too. For every family gone over Christmas, another family brings their entire extended family to our church. Besides Thanksgiving, Christmas Day is probably the most popular service. Most of our parking lot gets double-parked.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

A huge-ass church (thousands of members) with the biggest ugliest building you can imagine, hardly the type of architecture that inspires reverence....usually non- or inter-denomination....and you don't know anyone sitting within a 50-foot radius of where you're sitting in church....and you have to read a PowerPoint presentation to get anything out of the sermon.....

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of a 'Christmas' since most lake a proper theology to being with.

So not only do mega-churches have incorrect theology, their buildings are a snub to God, people don't know each other, and a PowerPoint presentation is the only means to learn?

Wow. Have you actually been a member of one of these churches, short term or long term? It's one thing to criticise something you've actually experienced, another thing to throw stones. I'm disappointed.

financeguy said:
What's a 'Mega-church'?

Churches with over 5000 members usually earn this tag.

My church's congregation is about 4000 members, so it doesn't qualify for the label.

With such a large congregation, and the usual holiday multiplier (C&E Christians), these churches will hold multiple Christmas Eve services to accomodate the crowds (ours will have 4).

We will also hold a Christmas day service, but I would have no problem sticking to the 4 Christmas Eve services. Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.

I would hate to see the suggestion of "proper Christians" hold Christmas day services, but I guess it is inevitable.

Most Catholic Churches have multiple masses on Sundays all year long in addition to mass every day of the week. The church I go to has a Christmas Eve mass at 8 pm (for the kiddies), Midnight Mass, then on Christmas day at 7 am, 9 am, 11 am. That's how busy it gets. But even during regular Sundays, they have the 3 masses.

nbcrusader said:
Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.

Indeed. It's interesting to see the scathing criticism from those who have never actually had to run a church service, let alone one that has to accommodate thousands of attendees.

And before you try to assume, I think they should hold service on Christmas day. But I can understand why they are not.

nbcrusader said:

With such a large congregation, and the usual holiday multiplier (C&E Christians), these churches will hold multiple Christmas Eve services to accomodate the crowds (ours will have 4).

We will also hold a Christmas day service, but I would have no problem sticking to the 4 Christmas Eve services. Conducting multiple services is exhausting, especially for the preaching minister (if any of you have preached a sermon, it can be quite draining). In addition to the preacher, there is a choir, ushers, support staff, custodial staff, etc. Holding a service is no simple undertaking and would require the efforts of many.
Yes, but this is what they do. Many mega churches, will have different staff doing different services from the Eve and the Sunday.

nbcrusader said:

I would hate to see the suggestion of "proper Christians" hold Christmas day services, but I guess it is inevitable.
But this is what many of them are doing the other 364 days of the year. Shouldn't we be able to call out their hypocricy? We're looking at what esentially is the birth of their religion and they are closing? Yet it's ok for them to bitch the whole month how secular schools aren't allowing Christmas parties? It's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom