Some Good News: 25th Anniversary of Solidarity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This should be taught everywhere, in every school system in every nation. It's a very important day, not just for Poles but for people all over. It shows the power of "people power". They overcame a dictatorship and it should be remembered all over.

Solidarnosc was definitely one of the first and best steps in the right direction in the early 80s.

thanks for remembering this very special and important event in modern world history.

The struggle of the Polish people for political freedom marked the beginning of the end of the Soviet empire.

NEW YEAR'S DAY....:up:

One of the most enjoyable experiences I've had as an undergrad was interviewing my Polish friend about Solidarity.

Truly an inspiring movement and a sign of what ordinary people can really accomplish.

Interestingly enough Solidarity weren't rightwing, in fact they were very much concerned with the right of labour to organise. Thing was they demanded the right to organise independently within a state that supposedly embodied the 'workers'.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I wonder how much that is taught in hs or junior high, people that age might not be all that aware of it

I fear that in my grade 12 class last year, I may have been one of, if not the only person who knew about Solidarity, could name Lech Walesa, etc. I was often left absolutely staggered by the complete ignorance of my peers (and I went to a pretty good private school too!). Take for instance the multiple people who were completely unaware of the Holocaust despite the fact it was a central part of the compulsory grade 9 curriculum that they did a few years previously, and when I informed one guy of the details of the Holocaust, he 1. couldn't believe it was worse than 11 September, and 2. expressed happiness when I told him that as well as Jews, Hitler killed gays and communists. :mad: :banghead:

The cluelessness of my generation makes me embarrassed to be eighteen.

</slightly off-topic rant>

Back
Top Bottom