Soccer & Idiots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
There was a soccer match on Saturday here in Italy: Inter (a team of Milan) vs Messina (a city in the south of the country).

During the match, some of the supporters of the team from Milan started shouting bad words and injuries to a black man of the Messina team.
He is a guy of French origin, he heard them and, of course, was so angry and went up to the referee reporting what was going on. The player, called Zoro, was then helped by other players of both the teams and, after a long while, the match went on

I was so disgusted when I heard this. Especially because I am supposes to be a supporter of Inter and I was ashame of reading about what happened. Moreover, consider that half of the players of Inter are neither italian, nor white (there are boys coming from Brazil, from Africa and from Portugal...)
So I really can't understand this mess!!

Do episodes like this one happen in other countries?

Attachments

• zoro.jpg
    zoro.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
I can recall several incidents of soccer 'fans' verbally attacking specific players with racial motivations in recent years.

Additionally, Kevin Weekes, goaltender for hockey's NY Rangers, was similarly treated when he played in Europe during last years NHL labor dispute.

Quite sad.

Back
Top Bottom