so ... Mitt Romney. - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:53 AM
so much for stereotyping Mormons.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #142
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:53 AM
OK, I think everyone's made their stance on Mitt Romney and illegal immigrants clear by now...

So, what are some of these issues concerning education, crime, budgets, human services and business climate that keep getting touched on but not elaborated?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

that's not quite the issue ms yolland.

the issue was his electability and if an election were held today in FYM i think Mitt might just lose here, but just barely.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Lets see what a great president Mr. Romney will be!!!!

Tourism boosters decry Romney cuts

By Peter J. Howe, Globe Staff | December 6, 2006

As Governor Mitt Romney tours East Asia to bulk up his foreign policy credentials for a possible presidential bid, he's coming under fire from a top Massachusetts tourism group for slashing $5 million in state funds for promoting the Bay State to international tourists.

Last month, as part of a package of over $400 million in budget cuts, Romney zeroed out funding for Tourism Massachusetts , a Boston non profit organization charged with promoting Massachusetts abroad, including in the countries Romney is visiting this week, China, Japan, and South Korea.

William H. MacDougall , chief executive of Tourism Massachusetts, whose promotional efforts include advertising abroad and Internet videos promoting various parts of the state, said in a prepared statement: "The countries that he is visiting in Asia represent a significant source of visitor arrivals into Massachusetts, and it is unfortunate that he is carrying the message that our state does not welcome them."

Joining a growing chorus of Romney critics who accuse the governor of using Beacon Hill policy decisions to impress voters in other states, MacDougall said: "Unfortunately this is just another example of an administration more interested in promoting the career of one man rather than the economic health of this state."

International tourists, MacDougall added, spend more than $1.4 billion annually in Massachusetts, and he pointedly noted that tourism is "a vital component of virtually every state's economy, including New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Iowa" -- the first three major 2008 presidential primary and caucus states.

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom defended the governor's cutbacks, saying in an e-mail that the $5 million funding was "a particularly egregious example of legislative pork" and "an insider deal" MacDougall struck with legislative leaders.

Before the vetoes were issued, Fehrnstrom said, Massachusetts was spending 10 times as much per international visitor as it spent on domestic visitors, nearly $3 for every Massachusetts tourist from other countries, but international tourism has been declining, not growing.

"To this day, we don't know what Mr. MacDougall does with that money, and he has not been effective in increasing foreign tourism," Fehrnstrom said.

The $5 million budget item for Tourism Massachusetts was among $26.6 million in legislative tourism funds Romney vetoed this summer, legislators restored by overriding his veto, and Romney again cut last month.

The funds include more than 120 different pet projects for legislators, including earmarked funds for a Methuen "geriatric safety program," a gazebo in Auburn, a Holyoke park merry-go-round, and the Old Firehouse Museum in South Hadley.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Social workers, providers protest Romney budget cuts

December 6, 2006

BOSTON --Social workers and human service providers angry at Gov. Mitt Romney's decision to cut $425 million from the state budget last month converged on Beacon Hill on Wednesday to demand he restore the money.

Romney said the cuts were needed to balance the budget, but those who work with the mentally ill, homeless and those battling substance abuse say the cuts made life more difficult for the state's most vulnerable.

"This is not a joke," Michael Weekes of the Massachusetts Council of Human Service Providers told a rally of about 1,000 protesters. "People that have abused children, homeless families, people with mental and physical disabilities -- they are not pork, they are people."

The rally included a giant inflatable rat and an activist dressed in a Grinch costume meant to portray Romney.

Romney, who was in South Korea on Wednesday, has already restored about $41 million of the cuts after state revenues for November were stronger than anticipated, but activists say that's not enough.

Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said there's a constituency for every line item in the budget, but it's up to Romney to look at the big picture and make sure the budget is balanced.

"Fiscal discipline has been a hallmark of Gov. Romney's administration and he intends on maintaining it until his last day in office," Fehrnstrom said.

Among the cuts they would still like to see restored is $28 million for raises for low-paid social service workers and $844,000 for child and adolescent mental health services.

If Romney doesn't act, they are hoping that incoming Democratic Gov.-elect Deval Patrick restores the money.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...y_budget_cuts/
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Yea and Reagan did such a fantastic job while in office.

Romney reaches for Reagan touch

By Scott Helman, Globe Staff | November 25, 2006

The day after the midterm elections, Governor Mitt Romney, reflecting on the GOP's punishing losses, issued a clarion call to conservatives: "We must return to the common-sense Reagan Republican ideals."

Three days later, at a State House Veterans Day ceremony, Romney invoked the former president again, saying, "As Ronald Reagan once said, 'I have seen four wars during my lifetime and none of them began because America was too strong.' "

And then last Friday, asked by a Fox News interviewer whether he was running for president, Romney said he was giving it some serious thought, because the stakes were so high. "We're going to have to make sure that we have the kind of Reagan optimism that America's looking for," he said.

Romney's repeated references to the nation's 40th president in two weeks illustrate how the governor, as he builds toward a 2008 presidential bid, is increasingly trying to cast himself in the Reagan mold -- as a patriotic, small-government conservative from outside the Beltway who's bent on repelling taxes, moral relativism, and foreign threats.

Like many Republicans, Romney has long described Reagan as one of his heroes, but as the governor's White House hopes have gained steam, his admiration has turned to emulation: Romney seems to be channeling the former president's conservative convictions, his hopeful message, and even his witty, folksy style of connecting with voters from South Carolina to Southern California.

There are many similarities between the two: Reagan and Romney portrayed themselves as bulwarks against the perils of liberalism in their home states -- Reagan in California, Romney in Massachusetts. Both have benefited from their Hollywood looks. Both have had experience in working with Democratic legislatures.

"Reagan was able to run against Washington, including people in his own party in Washington, by talking about what he achieved as governor and saying he would take those ideas to Washington," said Republican strategist Charlie Black, who was a senior Reagan adviser. "Romney can do the same thing."

Like other potential GOP candidates, Romney is also negotiating a delicate relationship with the legacy of President Bush, who is respected by Republicans for his tough tactics in fighting terrorism but continues to be plagued by low job-approval ratings. Reagan's legacy, by contrast, is seen by Republicans as largely unassailable.

While Republican presidential hopefuls routinely try to claim the mantle of Reagan conservatism, Black said, Romney can make a good case, in large part because of his charisma and his ability to give a stirring speech. Black said he hears observers of the 2008 race describe Romney as "Reagan esque."

Romney's message on the stump often carries echoes of Reagan, who died in 2004.

Consider the acceptance speech Reagan gave in July 1980 after he won the Republican nomination for president

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar..._reagan_touch/
Old 12-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life

End-of Presidency Job Approval Ratings
Bill Clinton (2001) 65%
Ronald Reagan (1989) 64
Dwight Eisenhower (1961) 59
John F. Kennedy (1963) 63
George Bush (1993) 56
Gerald Ford (1977) 53
Lyndon Johnson (1969) 49
Jimmy Carter (1981) 34
Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
that's not quite the issue ms yolland.

the issue was his electability and if an election were held today in FYM i think Mitt might just lose here, but just barely.
If an election were held today, period, he wouldn't get it.

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

More than a third of registered voters -- 35 percent -- say they wouldn't vote for a Mormon for president, the latest Bloomberg/Los Angeles Times poll finds. That's considerably more than say they wouldn't vote for a Catholic, Jew or evangelical Christian. Only a Muslim gets a higher negative response.

Among all respondents, 37 percent say they wouldn't vote for a Mormon. More than two in five Democrats say they wouldn't do so, while about a third of both Republicans and independents say they wouldn't. Females are slightly more negative toward a Mormon candidate than males.

``It's a sign that this is going to be a factor in Romney's campaign,'' said Scott Rasmussen, an independent pollster and president of Rasmussen Research in Ocean Grove, New Jersey.
This doesn't include people who would vote for a Mormon, but won't vote for Romney based on his record or whatever else they disagree with either.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #149
Acrobat

Like that famous phrase, "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy", Romney is no Ronald Reagan.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 12-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #151
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]"There's something to be said for having a Republican who supports civil rights in this broader context, including sexual orientation. When Ted Kennedy speaks on gay rights, he's seen as an extremist. When Mitt Romney speaks on gay rights he’s seen as a centrist and a moderate. It's a little like if Eugene McCarthy was arguing in favor of recognizing China, people would have called him a nut. But when Richard Nixon does it, it becomes reasonable. When Ted says it, it's extreme; when I say it, it's mainstream. I think the gay community needs more support from the Republican Party and I would be a voice in the Republican Party to foster anti-discrimination efforts.

The other thing I should say is that the gay community and the members of it that are friends of mine that I've talked to don't vote solely on the basis of gay rights issues. They're also very concerned about a $4 trillion national debt, a failing school system, a welfare system that’s out of whack and a criminal justice system that isn't working. I believe that while I would further the efforts Ted Kennedy has led, I would also lead the country in new and far more positive ways in taxing and spending, welfare reform, criminal justice and education. That's why I believe many gay and lesbian individuals will support my candidacy and do support my candidacy," -- Mitt Romney, 1994[/q]
Old 12-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #152
Refugee

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
diamond, I have many friends of other faiths as well! Heck, I have Buddhist and Jewish friends in my myspace top friends list. And believe it or not, I'm in their top friends as well I totally love and appreciate people of other faiths. I have no problem with these people. Like Mormonism, there's great, kind people who follow these faiths. Heck, I'm sure you and I would get along great if we went out for dinner or something. I'll totally buy you dinner if I'm in your neighborhood. I just don't see how disagreeing equates to hate or intolerance -- especially when some of what I'm presenting isn't even my opinion, but fact. Are we all just supposed to give into each other and not stand for anything?
And as far as your faith being accepting of other faiths, I've honestly never heard that — even from Mormons and ex-Mormons I know. They were taught their church was the one true church, or their faith was the one true faith. Jesus said he's the only way, not me. I can't apologize for that statement, you know? And the verse from Galatians saying people shouldn't accept a Gospel other than that presented in the Bible, I didn't write that either. And think about it —*if all religions are true, than Christianity is true. Christianity tells us God sent his son to die in our place so his righteousness may be credited to us, therefore we can have forgiveness and be right with God. If God sent his son to die for this reason, but then accepted every other faith as a path to him, doesn't that kind of make his son's death pointless? I have to think if God came down here, walked among us and died one of the worst deaths imaginable, and then rose from the dead, that he would make it count. It would have a unique purpose. A God who dies in our place for our eternal benefit, but then accepts other ways to the same eternal benefit isn't a just God at all. Does that make sense?

And the long list of people you have there —*I appreciate their posts and perspectives, too. Many of them have taught me a lot. They're great people. With all due respect though, I don't see how you can list those names and then call me insecure?

And hey, if the Mormon faith brings you happiness, gives you answers to life and helps you love people more, that's great. I respect that. But there are serious differences between the Mormon faith and Christianity, yet Mormon's say they're Christian. Christians say they aren't. It's not splitting hairs over doctrinal issues, these are canyons of differences we're talking about. Don't you think that's worth discussing?
Thank You Coegman for telling me I'm not a christian
Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
n.
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

I don't know where you get your facts, but it's obvious all you look for is the negative in the Mormon church. Im not going to argue with you about your stance on the B of M, but if you really do research, you will find historical evidence of things that reveal it's authenticty.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #153
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
n.
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.

I don't know where you get your facts, but it's obvious all you look for is the negative in the Mormon church. Im not going to argue with you about your stance on the B of M, but if you really do research, you will find historical evidence of things that reveal it's authenticty.
macphisto23-

i was just going to let it slide.

brother coegman has chosen to promote himself as fYM's very own resident anti-mormon.

that said in our faith-

we are commanded to love all of God's children as we are all brothers and sisters and think only good thoughts and pray for those who despitefully use us.

dbs
Old 12-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
In the Log Cabin Club letter, Romney also said he supported
President Clinton's "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding gays serving in the armed forces, describing it as "the first in a number of steps that will ultimately lead to gays and lesbians being able to serve openly and honestly in our nation's military."

Tony Perkins, president of the conservative Family Research Council, said Romney's comments were "quite disturbing."

"This is going to create a lot of problems for Governor Romney," he told The New York Times in Saturday's editions. "He is going to have a hard time overcoming this."

Noted conservative Paul Weyrich told The Times, "Unless he comes out with an abject repudiation of this, I think it makes him out to be a hypocrite."

Romney was wrapping up a weeklong trip to Asia on Saturday and could not be reached for comment.

In an e-mailed statement, Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said as governor, Romney has never advocated changing the military's policy toward gays and has consistently supported traditional values.

Romney recently became a plaintiff in a lawsuit to force the state Legislature to vote on a constitutional amendment that would reverse the state's landmark 2003 court ruling legalizing gay marriage. State lawmakers have refused to vote on the amendment, which would kill it.

"As governor, Mitt Romney has been a champion of traditional marriage," Fehrnstrom said in his statement. "He's fought the efforts of activist judges who seek to redefine marriage, and he's testified before the U.S. Senate in support of the Federal Marriage Amendment. Governor Romney has been a leader in protecting marriage and in focusing this debate on the needs of children."

Arline Isaacson, co-chair of the Massachusetts Gay and Lesbian Political Caucus, said she cautioned gay and lesbians against believing Romney's overtures in 1994, and said conservatives shouldn't trust him, either.

"He can't be trusted," she said. "Because if it is politically expedient for him to swing to his right or swing to his left, he will do it."

won't make it
pass the first few primaries
Old 12-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

won't make it
pass the first few primaries
Now to me that proves he will say anything to get elected.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
n.

This is all good and well, but they're two different faiths. First of all, you don't even recognize the Trinity -- that God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all three ONE God. Yet, this is essential Chrstian doctorine. How do you reconcile that?

And how do you reconcile Galatians 1:9: "As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!"

Don't you think these are questions that need to be addressed?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

macphisto23-

i was just going to let it slide.

brother coegman has chosen to promote himself as fYM's very own resident anti-mormon.

that said in our faith-

we are commanded to love all of God's children as we are all brothers and sisters and think only good thoughts and pray for those who despitefully use us.

dbs
Promote myself? Is that how you're going to attack the facts? They didn't come from me -- don't you see that?

In my faith, I'm also commanded to love all of God's children as my brothers and sisters and think good thoughts and pray for them. Believe me, I'm doing that. The Bible also calls us to stand for truth and to not let people be led astray.

And is it love to let everyone believe lies because that's what they want to believe, or is it love to introduce the truth, even if it's offensive? The fact is that there are glaring differences between Christianity and Mormonism. You can't say they're the same. They're not. It's because of the fact that Mormonism has very different core beliefs that it's deemed a cult. It likes to call itself Christianity, but it's the difference between night and day once you look beneath the surface.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

This is all good and well, but they're two different faiths. First of all, you don't even recognize the Trinity -- that God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all three ONE God. Yet, this is essential Chrstian doctorine. How do you reconcile that?

Yet a Muslim would find the concept of the Trinity to be sacreligious.

God is God.

And it is their duty within their faith to stand for truth and to not let people be led astray.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I fully agree with you, Dreadsox.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I fully agree with you, Dreadsox.
Hehe

Is it possible that the good lord has enough grace to get through the whole trinity issue that we have here on earth?

I sincerely hope so.

I love grace.