so ... Mitt Romney.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's really necessary to question the intelligence of myself and others in this thread, speaking for me and not them it is one small example (in terms of importance) in the larger picture of his hypocrisy regarding blind attempts to woo conservatives. I would think since the state trooper stationed outside his house questioned at least one worker about his status, it might have crossed Mitt's mind at least once to do so. But perhaps he was too busy chanting let the people vote..

It has nothing to do with Democrat vs Republican, certainly numerous Democrats employ services and illegals and companies that employ illegals-are they using the immigration issue though in an attempt to woo conservative voters?

I have seen things evolve in FYM that I consider of less significance, intelligence, and importance than Mitt's character and job performance..but I wouldn't question that here. And I think you are better than that Dreadsox, better than insulting/questioning other posters' intelligence because you don't agree with what we've said. Honestly I take it as an insult.

Last edited:
Dreadsox, I wasnt saying that I blame him for hiring illegals. I'm just saying its a) extraordinarily hypocritical for him to do that AND advocate a fence and all his other anti-immigrant policies, and b) it's great news for me because I don't want to see him become president and I don't think the Republican primary voters across the country will approve of this.

Dreadsox said:
IThere is not a flipping small business around that is not employing illegals.

Please. They aren't illegals, they are "undocumented immigrants."

Romney wouldn't know about it anyway. How often is the governor actually IN his state to check on his lawn? :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think it's really necessary to question the intelligence of myself and others in this thread

Honestly I take it as an insult.

good natured ribbing by a nice fellow never harmed anyone
:)

dbs

I wasn't talking to you diamond, but thanks for interjecting. I never once said he's not a nice fellow did I? Come on. I just don't happen to think it's good natured ribbing to say something like that on the internet when words are what they are. There were no smileys used either.

I'm not personally attacking him, merely stating how I felt about what he said and the way he said it.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think it's really necessary to question the intelligence of myself and others in this thread, speaking for me and not them it is one small example (in terms of importance) in the larger picture of his hypocrisy regarding blind attempts to woo conservatives. I would think since the state trooper stationed outside his house questioned at least one worker about his status, it might have crossed Mitt's mind at least once. But perhaps he was too busy chanting let the people vote..

Let me get this, you are linking Mr. Romney to the worker via the state trooper? Beat that dead horse a little more.

There are at least a few other things more important than this that he does have control over.

[Q]It has nothing to do with Democrat vs Republican, certainly numerous Democrats employ services and illegals and companies that employ illegals-are they using the immigration issue though in an attempt to woo conservative voters?[/Q]

So because he wants to do something about it (and this may be the only thing I agree with him on at this point) it makes him responsible to investigate ANY service provider employed by a PRIVATE company? To me this is grasping at straws. Make an issue out of the dozens of other things EDUCATION, GAY MARRIAGE, SCHOOL FUNDING, BIG DID MANAGEMENT that the man actually had an opportunity to do something about.

I have seen things evolve in FYM that I consider of less significance, intelligence, and importance than Mitt's character and job performance..but I wouldn't question that here.

Then you are clearly taking the high road.

And I think you are better than that Dreadsox, better than insulting/questioning other posters' intelligence because you don't agree with what we've said. Honestly I take it as an insult.

Well, clearly your thoughts about me are misguided. This is in no way meant to agree that my post was meant to be inulting to your IQ. It was not meant to be taken that way, and any such offense comes not from me, but from the vein of truth I have brought into the light.

In my mind it diminishes any legitimate posts down the road about him since clearly there is such a bias, that I cannot take future posts seriously on the topic of Mr. Romney.

diamond said:

good natured ribbing by a nice fellow never harmed anyone
:)

dbs

Listen you! I do not need you the republican extreme right fihgting my battles for me.

:wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I wasn't talking to you diamond, but thanks for interjecting. I never once said he's not a nice fellow did I? Come on. I just don't happen to think it's good natured ribbing to say something like that on the internet when words are what they are. There were no smileys used either.

I'm not personally attacking him, merely stating how I felt about what he said and the way he said it.

Dread is an ASS. A pure DONKEY. I agree.

Well ok, I tried to be nice about it but if that's the way you want to be. Clearly you have the monopoly on truth, my bad. More than a wee bit arrogant for you to think that my feelings have to do with my failure to see the "vein of truth" that you pointed out to me in such a nice way. Thanks.

Varitek said:
Dreadsox, I wasnt saying that I blame him for hiring illegals. I'm just saying its a) extraordinarily hypocritical for him to do that AND advocate a fence and all his other anti-immigrant policies, and b) it's great news for me because I don't want to see him become president and I don't think the Republican primary voters across the country will approve of this.

He didn't hire Illegals......The company he hired did.

And my point stands.....Unless every f-ing Tom, DICK, Harry...is required to investigate the employees of companies that provide services paid for....it is NOT HYPOCRITICAL....

It is....shall we say...weakening the legitimate arguments that could be presented about this man's buffoonery....

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well ok, I tried to be nice about it but if that's the way you want to be. Clearly you have the monopoly on truth, my bad. More than a wee bit arrogant for you to think that my feelings have to do with my failure to see the "vein of truth" that you pointed out to me in such a nice way. Thanks.

Methinks thou does take me too seriously....

and now....

I am sad....

because it was not my intent....

Bluer White said:

Please. They aren't illegals, they are "undocumented immigrants."

Romney wouldn't know about it anyway. How often is the governor actually IN his state to check on his lawn? :wink:

My bad....How UN PC of me.....

And....

The lawn thing may be his best defense in this case.

Maybe you should go back and read your post (s) and think about how it (they) might come across to me. Nothing justifies that, seriously. I have legitimate feelings about Mitt and his poor job performance, and they have nothing to do with bias. I can observe and think.

diamond said:

wanna
bet?

:sexywink:

How much would you like to wager?

Hope springs eternal....

But if these are the things the democrats are going to throw up against the wall as issues......there will be a republican again elected to the big office.....hehe....can we say Reagan Revolution....

This type of issue is EXACTLY what the Repubican Party would LOVE to see......

But I digress.....a victory does not win the war....and November 2006...will be in the rear view mirror......

The Democrats do not get it....it was not a vote for them....it was a vote against the war....and that will not carry the day in two years....

Nor will this type of issue...

MrsSpringsteen said:
Maybe you should go back and read your post (s) and think about how it (they) might come across to me. Nothing justifies that, seriously. I have legitimate feelings about Mitt and his poor job performance, and they have nothing to do with bias. I can observe and think.

SO we should investigate who is employeed in every eatery we partake in dining? So that we are not all hypocrits....Where would someone get the legal authority to step into the washroom of the local eatery to seek out those who scrub the pans and check their documents?

What about the cranberry sauce? While it makes a tasty side dish on Thanksgiving, should we go to the local bog and check the people who are weeding all summer long, before we hypocritically dine on the berry?

I say this in all seriousness, because we are a nation of hypocrits if we are not going to go to such lengths to protect ourselves from hypocracy!!!!

Forget it, I give up. You are insistent upon focusing on that issue when I am well aware that it involves so many more issues. I am just very disappointed that you expressed it in the way you did, and that's all I have left to say.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Forget it, I give up. You are insistent upon focusing on that issue when I am well aware that it involves so many more issues. I am just very disappointed that you expressed it in the way you did, and that's all I have left to say.

And for that disappointment.....I say....

Sorry.

Dreadsox said:

The Democrats do not get it....it was not a vote for them....it was a vote against the war....and that will not carry the day in two years....

See, the Dems do get this, and will try in the next 2 years to prove to the country that there are other reasons to vote blue by improving the economic situation for especially the middle class. I don't know if we'll be successful, but the leadership isn't stupid - they know why we won the majority and what the composition of those districts are.

And with that, I give up on this thread.

Appears to me from the past that Mrs. S. has posted a variety of concerns about Mr. Romney for well over a year and she isn't determining her opinion on some kind of knee jerk reaction based on this one issue as some of the other posts might seem to suggest whether that was intended or not.

I don't follow Massachusetts politics closely and it's not my state so I choose not to have an opinion on this particular, but certainly one of the hypocrisies of the "Stop the illegals" movement is the failure to crack down on the source of incentive for the illegals--the employers. It's purely political talk for the politically ambitious.

(For full disclosure, I am the grandchild of an illegal immigrant. I don't get too worked up about the illegal immigration debate. I've ranted about it in the past. I'm sure I've come across on occasion as a xenophobe when I've thought it was reasonable to control your border, to know who is entering your country and for what purpose, to balance between the benefits the illegals bring and the drain on limited resources--to know what we can handle and what we cannot.

But really this issue isn't about illegals, it's about the growing strength of Hispanics and the growing fear of Muslims. It's about the changing of the demographics of a country and a natural fear about how that is going to affect you. It's about concern that you are going to get even less of that limited amount of pie you've been able to scrape onto your plate, that the very little amount of privilege you've worked so hard for is being taken away, your identity is being superceded. I watch both sides of the issue. I watch how the politicians and others work up this frenzy when if the frenzy wasn't worked up so hard, you might not even notice so much. We're conditioned to notice it now.
(Much like the supposed War on Christmas, when I doubt whether any of us noticed before whether somebody said "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays") And you know, the irony of it is, they could enforce these laws they already have on the books. They could gather the resources together they needed to do it if they really wanted to. You wouldn't need to work up the crowd. But then it wouldn't be an issue.

But on the whole, if the only law they are breaking is crossing the border and up to the point we can handle the inflow and if our real (not imaginary) quality of life is not affected, I don't care.

Not too many of us are American citizens by virtue of our merits. We are, by chance of birth.

Now that I have totally derailed this thread. :reject:

U2Girl1978 said:
Why did it evolve into a discussion about illegals?? Why do all discussions have to lead into such nasty fights?

Never mind don't answer that. :|

Why ask why?

U2Girl1978 said:
Why did it evolve into a discussion about illegals?? Why do all discussions have to lead into such nasty fights?

Never mind don't answer that. :|

Well it got "nasty" only because apparently some people feel that FYM is below their intelligence level and want to insist that others feel and think a certain way apparently in an apparent effort to bolster that belief. If it's that bad I don't know why you'd (the general you or anyone who feels that way) bother coming here at all. I don't appreciate being talked to and treated in that way, and I'm not going to just let it slide.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Well it got "nasty" only because apparently some people feel that FYM is below their intelligence level and want to insist that others feel and think a certain way apparently in an apparent effort to bolster that belief. If it's that bad I don't know why you'd (the general you or anyone who feels that way) bother coming here at all. I don't appreciate being talked to and treated in that way, and I'm not going to just let it slide.

Ehm, ok? I barely come in here at all. Sometimes you just want to explore the site and just give opinion on certain matters. So I'm sorry if it seemed like my last post was aimed at you. It was not. I agreed with what you said about Mitt Romney.

diamond said:
Mrs S,

It's your universe and we just wanna be a part of it.
Can we come in and play?

:wink:

dbs

Ah, the childhood pleasures of double-teaming somebody......remember them well.

U2Girl1978 said:

Ehm, ok? I barely come in here at all. Sometimes you just want to explore the site and just give opinion on certain matters. So I'm sorry if it seemed like my last post was aimed at you. It was not. I agreed with what you said about Mitt Romney.

I didn't want to post in this anymore, but I know your last post wasn't aimed at me at all and I was just quoting your post as a springboard to discuss what happened in this thread and why. You weren't questioning anyone's intelligence or the general intelligence level of FYM and coming across like you think yours is superior even if that's not the intent- so I didn't think you'd think at all that my post was directed at you. Sorry for the confusion :)

Doesn't stand a chance for President - most right wing christian republicans believe the Mormans to be a cult. They'd never vote for this guy no matter how "family based" his policies are.

Back
Top Bottom