so ... Mitt Romney.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coemgen said:
Give it a week, Mitt will change his stance on this too.
2007_04_20_huckabee_300.jpg

His poll numbers are much better than this Evangalical's.

dbs

Well I'm not a "pothead" and I don't do illegal drugs, never have. But I am in favor of medical marijuana, personally I could never give myself the power to deny that to a person who is suffering if that helps him or her deal with the suffering. That man weighs 80 pounds.

"Potheads" can easily obtain pot, they don't need fake prescriptions to do so.

And it's the way in which Mitt was so dismissive of that man too, with that plastic grin on his face and the way he just ignored him and nexted him. He can spout all kinds of idealism and self righteousness, but when he's faced with that man he gets all squirmy and uncomfortable, or something.

MrsSpringsteen said:

"Potheads" can easily obtain pot, they don't need fake prescriptions to do so.

not legally.

and that you're not a user of pot doesn't negate the fact that potheads are in favor of medical marijuana.

why do make ever post about "you" if you disagree w/a politician?

i thought Mitt wasn't overly dismissive, but read the situation correctly.

dbs

diamond said:

i thought Mitt wasn't overly dismissive, but read the situation correctly.

Well you have a very strange definition of dismissive.

I just don't think "potheads" worry all that much about the legality of it. There are plenty of people who smoke it regularity who don't seem all that worried :shrug:

That man IS a personal issue, and his suffering IS personal for him. He's not just a statistic.

It's called slight of hand...

Diamond thinks he can divert you from the REAL issues.

He doesn't understand we can't all be content with being simpletons...

diamond said:

and that you're not a user of pot doesn't negate the fact that potheads are in favor of medical marijuana.

and lots of people who aren't potheads are in favor of medical marijuana.

but if you'd rather people suffer so some healthy 19 year old doesn't get stoned and stay home on saturday night nad spend 45 minutes trying to figure out what pizza to order, so be it.

just be honest. you'd rather deny a woman's right to an abortion in the name of protecting "innocent" life, yet you're making sure they suffer once they're here.

This is one of the stupidest things he's ever said.

While we are at it, why don't we also ban morphine, vicodin, demerol and every other genuine pharmaceutical drug which a good number of junkies are also abusing? How on earth is morphine any more acceptable? A derivative of heroin, with a high addiction potential and awful side effects, regularly abused by drug addicts. Why isn't Mitt advocating that we no longer permit the use of morphine in a medical setting?

anitram said:
This is one of the stupidest things he's ever said.

While we are at it, why don't we also ban morphine, vicodin, demerol and every other genuine pharmaceutical drug which a good number of junkies are also abusing? How on earth is morphine any more acceptable? A derivative of heroin, with a high addiction potential and awful side effects, regularly abused by drug addicts. Why isn't Mitt advocating that we no longer permit the use of morphine in a medical setting?

But those are legal! And only the upstanding perfect people are addicted to those :yes:

DEARBORN, Mich. – For a moment today, Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, showed himself to be the business executive that he really is.

If he were president, he was asked, would he get Congress's authorization to take military action against Iran's nuclear facilities?

"You sit down with your attorneys," said Romney, explaining his decision-making process in a time of potential crisis.

Obviously, Romney said, the president has to do what's in the best interest of the country. And President Bush did just that as he prepared to move on Iraq, asking for and getting Congress's approval. But did Bush need approval, Chris Matthews, the moderator pressed.

"You know, we're going to let the lawyers sort out what he needed to do and what he didn't need to do,'' said Romney, reverting to CEO mode. Certainly, he added, "what you want to do is to have the agreement of all the people --leadership of our government as well as our friends around the world where those circumstances are available."

Wait, so we shouldn't discuss Mitt Romney in a thread about ... Mitt Romney?

Oh. My bad.

Washington Times

Article published Oct 10, 2007
Log Cabin ad calls Romney flip-flopper

October 10, 2007

By Joseph Curl - Mitt Romney is portrayed in a new ad by a Republican group as a serial flip-flopper, and a former senior Bush administration official says the description is beginning to stick.

The 30-second ad (below), airing in Iowa and on Fox News for the next 10 days, portrays the former Massachusetts governor as changing his positions on abortion, gun rights, even his opinion of former President Ronald Reagan. Paid for by the Log Cabin Republicans, a homosexual rights organization, the ad uses Mr. Romney's own words from a 1994 debate.

"He's changed his views so many times it's really hard to predict what a Romney administration would be like," Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon said yesterday. "This education effort on our part is about more than gay rights, it's about this man's principle and whether you can trust him."

Dan Bartlett, former senior adviser to President Bush, says Mr. Romney faces a serious challenge.

"When you see a narrative developing, you better make sure it's one you like, because if it's not, they are very difficult to change," he recently told a U.S. Chamber of Commerce audience.

"What they're experiencing now early on with the [charges of] flip-flopping on positions, I think they saw a different primary when they were setting him up to run. I think they saw a much more conservative field so they were trying to solidify his conservative credentials."

Mr. Bartlett knows the seriousness of the charge, and how a candidate can be permanently defined by it. In the last presidential election, the Republican Party spent millions of dollars shortly after the Democrats had chosen Massachusetts liberal Sen. John Kerry as their candidate to paint him as a flip-flopper.

By summer 2004, late-night comedians were joking about his changing positions and Mr. Bush had made the issue one of his primary attacks. He hammered Mr. Kerry for a Senate vote on war funding, ripping the senator's convoluted explanation — "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it."

Just before the election, Republicans hit Mr. Kerry, a windsurfer, with one more brutal ad, showing him tacking one way, then another, back and forth across the screen.

The flip-flopping charge has long dogged Mr. Romney, too. He was coolly received early this year at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference, and opponents walked the halls handing out flip-flops. But his campaign said yesterday that the charges are prompted by Mr. Romney's strengths, not his weaknesses.

"If name-calling by opponents worked, we wouldn't have grown our support to the point where we are in very strong position in the early primary states," said campaign spokesman Kevin Madden. "When you have an extraordinary record of accomplishment like Governor Romney has, opponents are reduced to just name-calling."

He said the ad by Log Cabin "is quite transparent. They are an organization that supports [former New York] Mayor [Rudolph W.] Giuliani. They are also targeting Governor Romney because he is a staunch defender of traditional marriage and favors a federal marriage amendment."

Mr. Madden also explains that while Mr. Romney is now "firmly pro-life, he was not always pro-life. He was wrong on that issue and has explained that he has changed, but he has changed in the right direction, very much like Ronald Reagan before him.

"I think voters can accept someone who realizes they were wrong and has moved in the right direction on an important issue," he said.

The Log Cabin ad is subtle — some have even confused it as pro-Romney. "For years, he's fought conservatives and religious extremists — Mitt Romney," a narrator says. The ad shows Mr. Romney from a 1994 debate saying: "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years that we should sustain and support it."

"Mitt Romney opposed the gun lobby, even Ronald Reagan," the narrator says.

"I was independent during the time of Reagan-Bush. I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush," Mr. Romney says in the same debate.

The ad closes with the narrator saying: "A record fighting the religious right, a pro-choice record, Massachusetts values — Mitt Romney."

The Romney camp fired back after the ad debuted, calling it a "personal, negative attack." But Mr. Sammon said the charge borders on the absurd.

"It's almost laughable that Romney's campaign considers his own statements a 'personal, negative attack.' These are your words, Governor Romney, and Republicans deserve to know the truth about your record."

Here's the ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elx3UWmyAY4

Fundamentalists should not be allowed to argue "evolution".

When Romney uses the language, "I have evolved" the follow up question should be do you believe in the concept of 'evolution"?

Do you believe the earth and it's inhabitants are several thousand years old - as the Bible states, or do you believe in the 'evolution'.

His whole so called 'evolution' is more a 'pandering' to the GOP voters in Southern States that will determine the GOP nomination.

So will principled conservative voters support a candidate that is guilty of the same 'tactics' they have always excoriated the "Clintons" for using much more skillfully?

deep said:
Fundamentalists should not be allowed to argue "evolution".

When Romney uses the language, "I have evolved" the follow up question should be do you believe in the concept of 'evolution"?

He would say "Yes, spiritual evolution, and I think as a whole, humanity is evolving spiritually some in a positive way and others not so much in a positive way, perhaps we should take their cheap coffee and access to FYM from them for the betterment of their spiritual evolution"....:D

there is spiritual evolution that one is continually evolving from and some of you are a work in progress.

:)

dbs

I had a gay man in my cabinet!

GOP hopeful Romney faces tough crowd at DU

Ex-Massachusetts governor met with candid questions

By David Montero, Rocky Mountain News
October 11, 2007

In the era of prescreened audiences and canned questions, presidential hopeful Mitt Romney opted for neither Wednesday at the University of Denver.

That fact alone earned the former governor a lot of credit among the few hundred in attendance. But it also became apparent why some campaigns shield candidates from tough questions.

Matt Goodrich, a second-year law student, was the third person up to ask the former governor of Massachusetts a question. He was following another student who had just challenged Romney on the benefits of a for-profit health care system.

Romney smiled at Goodrich as he was handed a wireless microphone. Goodrich didn't smile back, but thanked the candidate for taking questions.

And then, he laid it out.

"As a gay man, gay citizen, why should I vote for you, and how would you protect my rights better than the other candidates?" he asked.

After about a minute of rambling, Romney answered.

"There are some places you'll probably not agree with me. I think marriage should be between a man and a woman," Romney said to applause. "Because I think the ideal setting for raising a child is where there is a mom and a dad involved. At the same time, I'm not in favor of discrimination."

Romney then outlined how he favors equal opportunity in education, employment and housing. Then, he said he had a gay man in his Cabinet.

Goodrich frowned.

"I'm just confused how you can say that you're against discrimination but (your definition of) marriage blatantly discriminates between heterosexuals and homosexuals," Goodrich said. "And as you pull the gay friend card - the gay Cabinet member card . . ."

The rest of the sentence was drowned out by a mixture of laughter and applause.

Romney said he was perfectly comfortable with two gay people who want to live together and have a contractual relationship with each other, but he just didn't believe in civil unions or marriage.

It was an important exchange for the Romney campaign because in a news conference prior to the town hall forum, the candidate was asked about Focus on the Family founder James Dobson's recent comments that he might support a third-party candidate because none of the Republican front-runners adhere closely enough to his Christian values.

Dobson has gone on record saying he won't support Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson or John McCain. Romney almost beamed when he described a recent meeting with Dobson and his wife.

"I respect him for the work that he does for Americans' families. I was encouraged by the fact that he said he could not support Mayor Giuliani, that he could not support Sen. McCain and that he could not support Sen. Thompson," Romney said. "But he is keeping the door open to supporting me. Well, that's about as good as it gets at this stage."

Giuliani's campaign, however, maintained that the former New York mayor remains the best candidate for the conservative base.

"We've got tremendous support from the conservative part of the Republican base and we're still the leading candidate," said campaign spokesman Jarrod Agen. "We feel the conservative voter is supporting Mayor Giuliani for his leadership. He has the most experience and most leadership in national security and growing the economy. Those are the most important issues."

But former Colorado congressman Bob Beauprez believes the Giuliani campaign is "playing prevent defense."

Beauprez declared Wednesday that the Thompson campaign has peaked and that McCain is "done."

He sat in the front row of the town hall meeting and said Romney has the best chance to keep the presidency in Republican hands - though he worried about Romney's Mormon faith and how it would play among evangelicals in the South.

"That's the elephant in the room," Beauprez said. But he added that he believes people would be able to look past that and see Romney as a man who lives his faith and holds similar values to the evangelical wing of the party.

Romney's faith didn't come up during the town hall meeting. And Romney also took a subtle dig at the president and the formerly Republican-controlled Congress by blasting fiscal irresponsibility that he said is burdening the country with a heavy debt load.

It fit the mood of a third of Colorado Republicans who, in a recent poll, said they're dissatisfied with President Bush.

"We have made a number of errors as a party," Romney conceded.

"There are some places you'll probably not agree with me. I think marriage should be between a man and a woman," Romney said to applause. "Because I think the ideal setting for raising a child is where there is a mom and a dad involved. At the same time, I'm not in favor of discrimination."

Oh, Mitt why are you such an idiot? Marriage doesn't = procreation, so tell us your real reason...

Be a man and face your homophobia.

diamond said:

there is spiritual evolution that one is continually evolving from and some of you are a work in progress.

Well thankfully we have you to judge us.

Back
Top Bottom