so...Mike Huckabee.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
At this moment in time he is tied or ahead in the Iowa polls and gaining by the hour in the Natonal polls. He clearly came up on top the night of the you-tube debates and seems to be gaining popularity with not only the evangelical right but also with lots of middle-of-the-road voters. What's happening here???

Harry Vest said:
At this moment in time he is tied or ahead in the Iowa polls and gaining by the hour in the Natonal polls. He clearly came up on top the night of the you-tube debates and seems to be gaining popularity with not only the evangelical right but also with lots of middle-of-the-road voters. What's happening here???

Huckabee's role in rapist's parole comes under fresh scrutinyStory Highlights
NEW: Mother of woman killed by rapist says she will campaign against Huckabee

Convicted rapist paroled in 1999 while Huckabee was governor of Arkansas

Rapist later raped, killed a woman in Missouri

Huckabee expressed support for parole but denies pressuring parole board

Next Article in Politics »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The case of a convicted rapist paroled in 1999 has come back to haunt Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, with the mother of a woman the convict later murdered pledging to campaign against the former Arkansas governor.

Mike Huckabee says he did not try to influence the Arkansas Parole board to parole Wayne DuMond.

Huckabee, during his first term as Arkansas governor, expressed support for the parole of Wayne DuMond in a letter to him.

DuMond was serving a life sentence for raping a 17-year-old girl. The Arkansas parole board had the final say on DuMond's parole.

Less than a year after his release from prison in 1999, DuMond was accused of raping and murdering Carol Shields, a woman in Kansas City, Missouri. DuMond was convicted of the crime in 2003. He died in prison in 2005.

Huckabee on Sunday confirmed to CNN he had sent the letter to DuMond.

The murdered woman's mother, Lois Davidson, said she will "absolutely campaign against" Huckabee, and said she decided to come forward when he started doing well in the polls.

"It's because he is a serious contender," Davidson said. "I didn't think he had a chance, but now he's right up there in Iowa."

Don't Miss
Huckabee denounces push-polling in Iowa
Huckabee surges in polls, faces fresh attacks
ElectionCenter 2008: Mike Huckabee
In an interview with CNN Wednesday, Huckabee said it was "heartbreaking" that the murders had become politicized.

"There are families who are truly, understandably and reasonably, grief stricken," Huckabee said. "And for people to now politicize these deaths and to try to make a political case out of it rather than to simply understand that a system failed and that we ought to extend our grief and heartfelt sorrow to these families, I just regret politics is reduced to that."

Huckabee said he had considered granting DuMond clemency, but he dropped the idea in response to public outcry.

Huckabee also said he did not grant clemency because he wanted to ensure DuMond was supervised when he was released from prison.

"Had I granted his commutation, then there would have been no supervision at all," Huckabee said, "I wasn't comfortable with that."

The DuMond case began in 1985, when he was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl. Before trial, DuMond was attacked in his home and castrated, and the local sheriff kept the severed testicles in a jar. No charges were brought in the attack.

Huckabee said the process leading to DuMond's release began under former President Bill Clinton when he was governor of Arkansas.

Clinton and, later, Arkansas Gov. Jim Guy Tucker commuted part of DuMond's sentence, Huckabee said, because they thought it was excessive.

When he spoke about the case, Huckabee suggested his role in the decision to parole DuMond was limited.

Huckabee said it was the decision by Clinton and Tucker that made DuMond eligible for parole, and Huckabee declined to reduce DuMond's sentence further.

In 1996, Huckabee sent a letter to DuMond saying parole was the best option for him, the National Review reported.

"I've never made a decision about the DuMond case other than the decision to write the letter" to DuMond, Huckabee said. "That was my decision, but I didn't parole him, because governors don't parole people in Arkansas."

However, Charles Chastain, a parole board member at the time, told ABC News he felt pressure from Huckabee when the board considered DuMond's parole in 1996.

The Arkansas Times reported in 2002 that two other board members said they were influenced by Huckabee to parole DuMond.

Huckabee denied he asked the board to approve DuMond's parole.

"No, I did not," Huckabee said Sunday. "Let me categorically say I did not."

Huckabee said Wednesday his discussion with the parole board in 1996 was a general discussion about clemency, not about the DuMond case.

Huckabee noted that the three board members who said they were pressured were appointed to the board by Democrats Clinton and Tucker.

Documents posted on the Web site The Huffington Post indicate Huckabee received letters from several victims of DuMond before his release.

The letters detailed his past actions and pleaded that he remain incarcerated.

"I feel that if he is released it is only a matter of time before he commits another crime and fear that he will not leave a witness to testify against him the next time," one victim wrote. She described how DuMond had raped her at knifepoint.

A former top Huckabee aide confirmed to CNN the then-governor received that letter and a follow-up phone call from the victim.

In another letter, a woman documented how her mother was raped by DuMond, and said he had told her mother he would rape her daughter if she did not cooperate.

The Huffington Post said it received the never-before-published letters from a "deeply troubled" former aide to Huckabee who believes the presidential candidate has "deliberately attempted to cover up his knowledge of DuMond's other sexual assaults."

Huckabee spokeswoman Alice Stewart denied to the Huffington Post that Huckabee received any of the letters, but later told CNN he got at least one from a victim named "Onita," who lived in DeWitt, Arkansas.

It's not clear if this is one of the letters posted on the Huffington Post, because the site has redacted the names.

The Huffington Post has published three victims' letters, and says it will post additional files later Wednesday. E-mail to a friend

CNN's Dana Bash and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report.

Most amazingly he as done it with little TV spending or staff. In fact, that may be his Achilles heel, as capitalizing on any early success may prove difficult because of his lack of funds and the way the primaries are now all bunched together so early in the year.

Re: Re: so...Mike Huckabee.

diamond said:

Huckabee's role in rapist's parole comes under fresh scrutinyStory Highlights
NEW: Mother of woman killed by rapist says she will campaign against Huckabee

Kind of a Willy Horton strategy?

U2democrat said:
He actually seems like a decent guy with a sense of humor, but I disagree with him almost 100% on the issues.

Couldn't agree with you more!!!
Although I still think Guliani is the biggest scumbag of them all. Unlike most right wing christians in the US Huckabee seems genuine to some degree - still, he's a little right of center for me.

I disagree with Huckabee on all of the issues. He's taken the lead in the Iowa polls. He's ahead of Giuliani there now.

I like Huckabee. He's a very close second behind Rudy as my candidate of choice right now. I'm pretty confident that he could get elected if given the nomination. A much better shot than Romney at least.

U2democrat said:
He actually seems like a decent guy with a sense of humor, but I disagree with him almost 100% on the issues.

yes, exactly.

i don't like how, on his website, he links the existence Memphis and i as a couple to the rise of inner-city african-american crime.

but, hey, that's just me. perhaps the homicide rate amongst young black men, ages 18-29, really is the fault of gay people. :shrug:

He was referring to this paragraph:

The late Cardinal O'Connor decried a domestic partnership law (which provided that all couples who signed up, whether heterosexual or homosexual, would be treated the same as married couples) as legislating that "marriage doesn't matter." I agree with the Cardinal that marriage does matter, I would add that nothing in our society matters more. Our true strength doesn't come from our military or our gross national product, it comes from our families. What's the point of keeping the terrorists at bay in the Middle East if we can't keep decline and decadence at bay here at home? The growing number of children born out of wedlock and the rise in no-fault divorce have been a disaster for our society. They have pushed many women and children into poverty and onto the welfare, food stamp, and Medicaid rolls. These children are more likely to drop out of school and end up in low-paying, dead-end jobs, they are more likely to get involved with drugs and crime, they are more likely to have children out of wedlock or get divorced themselves someday, continuing the unhappy cycle.

I'm not in the least surprised that Huckabee is gaining - especially here in Iowa, where I live. The social conservatives don't really have anyone else who they feel represents them. Of course I disagree with him on pretty much everything, but I understand why people on the other side of the political spectrum would like him.

He's also got that friendly, folksy thing down pat. I wish people would stop using that as a criteria for seleting candidates at the expense of everything else, though. That's how we ended up someone like Bush in the White House.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yes he seems very Bushlike. Looks like he's got society's decay all figured out too.

Yeah...remember George Bush ran a campaign and had people believing that he would be a "compassionate conservative" and he would be a "uniter not a divider" and "work across both sides of the aisle" and that he "understands people are hurting".

Then he was elected and got down to the business of making sure that big business and the rich could stuff as much money in their pockets while he and his bunch were in office until such time as people could figure out that it was all a lie. Now, Huckabee will try the same approach and see just how unbelievably naive we can be.

U2democrat said:

I think that's how most liberals and independents feel.

Bono's shades said:
I'm not in the least surprised that Huckabee is gaining - especially here in Iowa, where I live. The social conservatives don't really have anyone else who they feel represents them. Of course I disagree with him on pretty much everything, but I understand why people on the other side of the political spectrum would like him.

He's also got that friendly, folksy thing down pat.

Exactly. I think Huckabee is definitely representative of many of the conservative people in Iowa. And Iowans are known for that "small-town friendly folksy" thing, so yeah, he's right at home there.

Bono's shades said:
I wish people would stop using that as a criteria for seleting candidates at the expense of everything else, though. That's how we ended up someone like Bush in the White House.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm with the others in this thread. Huckabee's like the Republican equivalent of Obama in that I think he's sincere with his beliefs, and he seems more concerned with making sure his own campaign's going well than constantly nit-picking at what his competition's doing. And for that, I respect him. But I too have yet to agree with the guy on anything he says.

Angela

Check out this religious nutjob.:

Fellow-Countrymen:
AT this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the first. Then a statement somewhat in detail of a course to be pursued seemed fitting and proper. Now, at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of the great contest which still absorbs the attention and engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented. The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory and encouraging to all. With high hope for the future, no prediction in regard to it is ventured.

On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without war, urgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war—seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came.

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

Huckabee: I didn't watch Romney speech

BLUFFTON, South Carolina (CNN) – Speech? What speech?

Mike Huckabee said Friday he did not watch the speech on faith given by former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, but offered lukewarm praise for what he had heard about Romney's comments.

The former Arkansas governor said from what he had heard, Romney "seemed to have done an excellent job."

But the Baptist minister argued that he has been confronted with questions about his faith more than Romney has, and that he would make a "God speech" too if given the airtime.

"I get all of the God questions at the debates, so you know when people say, 'Oh, he had to make a speech,' I'm thinking, 'Hey you know what? If you'll give me national television time, I'll make you a God speech, and I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll throw in an offering and an altar call to throw in with it.'"

Huckabee was speaking with reporters after attending a fundraiser here.

I was prepared to give him a pass on the parole thingy, but today's article in the LA Times changed my mind. The SOB used his position to get a fellow "Christian" out of jail. Now two women are dead. Huckabee can rot with the dead rapist for all I care.

Yeah,
but the guy was in jail for raping a cousin to Bill Clinton.

shouldn't that be taken into account when granting parole?

Last edited:
Would a former minister give preferential treatment to Christians?

Actually, correction: would a former minister who's running for the Republican nomination give preferential treatment to Christians?

Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom