so...Mike Huckabee. - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan

Why we let those two States determine so much, who knows?
I mean, I know the stated reasons, I just think they are bullshit.
I know. 33 million people in California can go fuck ourselves for all anyone cares.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Just looked real quick
the Dems in the last 30 years/Iowa and New Hampshire

6 of 8 eventual nominees won New Hampshire
the other two finished second

6 of 8 won Iowa (in 1976, "uncomitted" delegates actually won, with Carter 2nd, so I counted it as essentially a victory). The other two finished 3rd (1992 Clinton actually 4th behind "uncommited", again among actual candidates, 3rd)

Anyhow, risky plan to say the least.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Rudy is banking on a longshot.

Yes, it certainly is risky. He basically needs the 3 states of Iowa, NH, and SC to have at least 2, if not 3 different winners, assuming he wins none of them. If one person sweeps those 3, he's in big trouble. That's pretty unlikely, though. I'm pulling for Romney to win Iowa, as that would almost undoubtedly knock Huckabee out.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I know. 33 million people in California can go fuck ourselves for all anyone cares.
Quote:
Calif. population nears 38 million, up 11.5 percent since 2000
By DON THOMPSON Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 12/19/2007 05:59:12 PM PST

SACRAMENTO—Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is fond of referring to California as a nation state.

Population figures released Wednesday show that if the Golden State was its own country, it would be right there with Poland.

California's population is nearing 38 million, up 11.5 percent since the 2000 census, according to estimates by the state Department of Finance.

Among nations, 33 countries have more people, with Poland's population running just ahead at 38.5 million. The latest figure still means California has more people than Canada.

The department calculated that the nation's most populous state had about 37,771,000 people as of July 1. It added 438,000 more residents in the previous year.

Just more than 12 percent of the 301 million people in the U.S. live in California.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 AM   #325
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

I'm pulling for Romney to win Iowa, as that would almost undoubtedly knock Huckabee out.
Well I'm glad some conservatives are coming to their senses, although I wouldn't really call voting for Romney sensible, it's a start.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #326
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Damnit, I always make a post on an FYM thread only to come back the next day and find it's completely moved on from when I posted. Well, to go back 30 or so posts, I'd just like to say to LM that I hold no ill will whatsoever towards him.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Just looked real quick
the Dems in the last 30 years/Iowa and New Hampshire

6 of 8 eventual nominees won New Hampshire
the other two finished second

6 of 8 won Iowa (in 1976, "uncomitted" delegates actually won, with Carter 2nd, so I counted it as essentially a victory). The other two finished 3rd (1992 Clinton actually 4th behind "uncommited", again among actual candidates, 3rd)

Anyhow, risky plan to say the least.
Yeah, I remember Clinton got his momentum from winning Super Tuesday. Before then his campaign was in trouble.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well I'm glad some conservatives are coming to their senses, although I wouldn't really call voting for Romney sensible, it's a start.
I never really jumped on the Huckabee bandwagon. He's a nice guy and I like where he stands on some stuff, but I do not want him to be the nominee.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

I never really jumped on the Huckabee bandwagon. He's a nice guy and I like where he stands on some stuff, but I do not want him to be the nominee.
If I were voting for a national pastor, Huckabee might be a good option. (Though I'd still vote for Franklin Graham ahead of him.) I may be in the minority, but I still like McCain for president. He's got the most experience, still seems to be the most straight-talking, and his ability to reach across the aisle with McCain/Feingold means that he can actually get stuff done.

I vote Fred Thompson for national grandpa.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #330
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

If I were voting for a national pastor, Huckabee might be a good option.
Really? I just don't see how this guy is even remotely respectable, even to conservative christians. Maybe I'm so removed from that thinking anymore that I just can't relate, but I don't get it.

He's actually preaching this Sunday down the street from me at the home of the discusting televangalist John Hagee.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #331
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Really? I just don't see how this guy is even remotely respectable, even to conservative christians.
I said "might." There are definitely people ahead of him on the list, but there are a number of people behind him as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 AM
abcnews.com

Huck-a-spears

December 20, 2007 11:24 PM

"It's a tragedy when a sixteen year old who is not really prepared for all the responsibilities of adult life is gonna now be faced with responsibilities of honest to goodness adult life," said Iowa GOP frontrunner, former Arkansas Governor and Baptist minister Mike Huckabee.

He was talking about Britney Spears' younger pregnant sister Jamie Lynn.

"I respect that apparently she's going have the child," Huckabee continued, per ABC News' Kevin Chupka. "I think that's the right decision, a good decision and I respect that and appreciate that. I hope its not an encouragement to other 16 year olds to think that that's the best course of action."

Concluded Huckabee about the star of Nickelodeon's "Zoey 101," "At the same time I'm not going to condemn her -- there will be plenty of people in line to do that and I'm looking for the shortest lines," he said. "I just hope that she will make another right decision and that is to give that child all the love and care and kindness that she can."
Old 12-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #333
Blue Crack Addict

I feel embarrassed on his behalf that he was even asked about Spears.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #334
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

I said "might." There are definitely people ahead of him on the list, but there are a number of people behind him as well.
I realize you said "might", but even that just comes as a shock to me.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #335
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I feel embarrassed on his behalf that he was even asked about Spears.

he should have mentioned birth control and condoms.

maybe this baby will teach her a lesson.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #336
Blue Crack Supplier

best quote i've heard all week.

i'm sitting here with my editor, who gets an IM from a friend of his who works for one of those gossipy rags -- In Touch, or Hello, or whatever -- and she says, "Jamie Lyn Spears is responsible for me not getting home until 11:30pm every night this week."
Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #337
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Sister Rice gives Pastor Huck a nice backhand:

Rice Rejects Huckabee Criticism

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:00 PM

WASHINGTON -- In a brief foray into politics, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Friday denounced comments by a leading Republican presidential candidate that the Bush administration's foreign policy is arrogant and unilateral.

"The idea that somehow this is a go-it-alone policy is just simply ludicrous," she said at a State Department news conference. "One would only have to be not observing the facts, let me say that, to say that this is now a go-it-alone foreign policy."

Her remarks came in response to a question about criticism from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who has surged in the polls to become a front-runner in the upcoming Iowa caucuses for the GOP presidential nomination. Huckabee recently said the administration's foreign policy was characterized by a "bunker mentality."

Rice did not mention Huckabee by name in her response and at first declined to respond, saying dismissively: "Look, I don't comment on other people's comments. I don't have time, all right. I really don't have time to worry about this."

But she then launched into a vigorous defense of the administration's multilateral diplomatic efforts on Afghanistan, North Korea and Iran, and pointed to improving ties with traditional allies in Europe, some of which were strained by the Iraq war.

"We have right now probably the strongest trans-Atlantic relations ... I would say in a very long time," Rice said, noting in particular Britain, France and Germany.

"We're working with allies in Europe, Russia and China on Iran. The (NATO) alliance is mobilized together in Afghanistan," she said. "We had 50-plus countries at Annapolis to launch the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians. We're working together with allies in Lebanon.

"I can go on and on and on and on," Rice concluded. "And so, I would just say to people, look at the facts.

© 2007 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Gotta love it..

dbs
Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Gotta love it.

dbs
Yes, we do love it.

The Republicans created a fundamentalist monster and empowered it and now are crying foul and turning on each other because he monster scares them shitless.

It is quite entertaining from our end of things to see the Republican establishment completely discombobulated. It isn't the Godless left who will dismantle Huckabee, it's the shameless right who has never cared one iota about the fundamentalists except to use and exploit them for votes.

Fantastic fun indeed!!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #339
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

it's the shameless right who has never cared one iota about the fundamentalists except to use and exploit them for votes.

the "fuck you, i got mine" folk, to use your words.

and guess what, kids? abortion is going to remain legal no matter who's in office.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It says in the Constitution that there cannot be a religous test for the President. And I say, ironically, AMEN! To that.

Shouldn't there be a VERY basic scientific test though?
If you don't believe in gravity, you're disqualified.
If you don't believe that the sun heats the Earth, disqualified.
If you don't believe the Earth revolves around the Sun, disqualified
If you don't believe in the evolution of species, disqualified.

We could all then move past Huckabee at least.