So I guess Gibson is not the only Bigot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
NEW YORK (AP) - Justin Timberlake backtracked from criticism of "American Idol" winner Taylor Hicks after telling Fashion Rocks magazine the 29-year-old soul singer "can't carry a tune in a bucket."

"I have a strange relationship with that show," Timberlake tells the magazine in an interview. "I despise it, and yet I'm completely fascinated."

"The guy who won - people think he looks so normal, and he's so sweet, and he's so earnest, but he can't carry a tune in a bucket. Do you realize how much pressure it is to put on somebody all of a sudden?"

Timberlake, a member of boy band 'N Sync who is now pursuing a solo career, also said: "If he has any skeletons whatsoever; if, God forbid, he's gay, and all these people in Mississippi who voted for him are like, 'Oh, my God, I voted for a queer!' It's just too much pressure."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14153965/

Liz Morentin, a representative for Hicks' record label, RCA, declined to comment Thursday.

Ken Sunshine, Timberlake's representative, said the 25-year-old singer's comments "were taken completely out of context."

"He has tremendous affection for Taylor Hicks' success," Sunshine told The Associated Press on Thursday. "He would never say anything that personal about somebody he's never met. He only wishes him the best."

Timberlake's second solo album, "FutureSex/LoveSounds," is set for release Sept. 12. "Sexyback," his first single from the CD, began playing on U.S. radio outlets last month.

"I wanted (the album) to look to a time when everything was really sexy," he says. "Maybe everybody was coked up, but who cares? It was hot. It was all about sex."

Shame on You Mr. Timberlake.

Last edited:
seems more like a social commentary than being a bigot. If he was gay and public about it he probably wouldn't have received so many votes. It's probably true.

See I don't get it. A celeb like JT says something like this and no big hoopla. Gibson says something and ohhhhhhhh Gibson is a
Jew hating bigot rararararararararararararar!!!

Justin24 said:
See I don't get it. A celeb like JT says something like this and no big hoopla. Gibson says something and ohhhhhhhh Gibson is a
Jew hating bigot rararararararararararararar!!!

What do you not get? One said, "Jews are the reasons for all the wars in this world."

And one said basically that if you come out of the closet all those fans he has back in Mississippi will change their tune.

How is this the same?

Justin, just had an old bandmate and friend come out of the closet. He probably knows how hard it is for someone to come out in the pop industry.

Timberlake, a member of boy band 'N Sync who is now pursuing a solo career, also said: "If he has any skeletons whatsoever; if, God forbid, he's gay, and all these people in Mississippi who voted for him are like, 'Oh, my God, I voted for a queer!' It's just too much pressure."

Justin24 said:

:huh:

he's using sarcasm. Or he's mocking those people who would actually say that.

:| The fact that he said "It's just too much pressure" shoud tell you that. ( After all his former bandmate has gone through recently)

see: lance bass thread.

Last edited:
redkat said:
i'm gonna say more truthiness than bigoty

why did JT put this out there?

Hicks is huge in the South!
sad, but this could affect his sales

again why did JT call Hicks a macaca?

Let's spell this out.

Justin Timberlake does not hate gay people. He's making the point that if Hicks was discovered to be gay that there would be people would not like him because of it.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Let's spell this out.

Justin Timberlake does not hate gay people. He's making the point that if Hicks was discovered to be gay that there would be people would not like him because of it.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Justin24 said:
Ahh the I ban freedom of speech lock dancer.

No, this has nothing to do with banning free speech.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

JT is actually making a reference against homophobia, but you aren't seeing that.

deep said:

why did JT put this out there?

Hicks is huge in the South!
sad, but this could affect his sales

What was his motive?

he may not hate gay people

but he appears to be using bigotry agaist gays to harm Hicks

and that is disgusting!

why else make the statement?

WildHoneyAlways said:
Let's spell this out.

That's right. There's no comparison to what he said and what Mel Gibson said. Mel just pleaded no contest to a drunk driving charge and got three years probation.

Actually, Timberlake just made the blanket accusation that Hicks' fans in Mississippi of being homophobes.

Are those types of generalizations okay?

deep said:

What was his motive?

he may not hate gay people

but he appears to be using bigotry agaist gays to harm Hicks

and that is disgusting!

why else make the statement?
I would be more inclined to think he was "using" the assumption that Mississippians are mostly hair-trigger homophobic rednecks to disparage the American Idol audience, and the "pressure" that trying to play to their sensibilities puts on contestants (talented or not)...since he'd just finished expressing the mixture of revulsion and fascination he feels towards the show.

disparage the American Idol audience

really, when he has a new cd comming out

and AI is the juggernaut that drives sales?

Timberlake's second solo album, "FutureSex/LoveSounds," is set for release Sept. 12. "Sexyback," his first single from the CD, began playing on U.S. radio outlets last month.

"I wanted (the album) to look to a time when everything was really sexy," he says. "Maybe everybody was coked up, but who cares? It was hot. It was all about sex."

In the same conversation he talks up sex

of course he means man on woman - hot sex
not that man-man (taylor?) sex .

nbcrusader said:
Actually, Timberlake just made the blanket accusation that Hicks' fans in Mississippi of being homophobes.

Most believe it is a given, that (many) Southerners are not Gay tolerant.

Hicks would lose sales in the South if he were gay
or even thought to be gay.

Who does not know this?

Last edited:
I did write

"that (many) Southerners are not Gay tolerant."

and

"Hicks would lose sales in the South if he were gay
or even thought to be gay."

do you disagree with these statements?

nbcrusader said:

I think if you polled Mississippi I think the majority would probably agree with JT, and I think they would proudly turn their backs until he "converted".

Back
Top Bottom