Snowing in Hawaii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's because the European countries who did not me the Kyote protocals.

Snow on top of Mauna Kea is downright normal--in fact, the locals often ski up there. There's even a small glacier. It's a quite a tall mountain. That's the great thing about the Big Island--you can drive from a dry, sunny tropical beach right up to the top of Mauna Kea in a couple hours. That is, if you can afford to rent 4WD for the duration of your trip. We couldn't. But you can also take a bus.

We were up there with our kids right about this time of year a couple years back doing some stargazing. It was beautiful up there, there are giant telescopes held by astronomy centers all over the world and the stargazing is unbelievable, but it was also only 11 degrees Fahrenheit. The kids got cold and started crying pretty quick.

They also cried and wanted to leave when we took them to Volcanoes National Park, because the sulfur smells and scary clouds of steam coming from the ground were a bit too much for them. :angry:

I'd imagine you have some places out West there where you can drive from the beach just a few hours to good skiing, too. That's the one part of the country I really haven't traveled in at all, the West Coast. Well, there and Alaska. Both are certainly on our list! I did go to a conference in San Francisco once, skipped out on one session to go see the redwoods, but that was all I had time for. Beautiful city--it looks amazingly like Lisbon, oddly enough.

Hawaii is a wonderful place to take children if you can afford it, though. (We tack a lot of our vacations on to dream conference destinations to save money.) Not that I recommend it with a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old like we did! We do bite off more than we can chew with our take-the-kids-anywhere enthusiasm sometimes. :crack: But active older kids would love it, there's great walking and stargazing and volcanoes and if they can swim well, there are so many great places to snorkel, or swim out to spots where you can hear the whales singing, at the right time of year at least. The water isn't too warm though.

yolland said:
Snow on top of Mauna Kea is downright normal--in fact, the locals often ski up there. There's even a small glacier. It's a quite a tall mountain. That's the great thing about the Big Island--you can drive from a dry, sunny tropical beach right up to the top of Mauna Kea in a couple hours. That is, if you can afford to rent 4WD for the duration of your trip. We couldn't. But you can also take a bus.

We were up there with our kids right about this time of year a couple years back doing some stargazing. It was beautiful up there, there are giant telescopes held by astronomy centers all over the world and the stargazing is unbelievable, but it was also only 11 degrees Fahrenheit. The kids got cold and started crying pretty quick.

They also cried and wanted to leave when we took them to Volcanoes National Park, because the sulfur smells and scary clouds of steam coming from the ground were a bit too much for them. :angry:

I was there....I do remember a bit of snow near the top and it was very cold indeed.

:|

yolland said:
I'd imagine you have some places out West there where you can drive from the beach just a few hours to good skiing, too. That's the one part of the country I really haven't traveled in at all, the West Coast. Well, there and Alaska. Both are certainly on our list! I did go to a conference in San Francisco once, skipped out on one session to go see the redwoods, but that was all I had time for. Beautiful city--it looks amazingly like Lisbon, oddly enough.

Hawaii is a wonderful place to take children if you can afford it, though. (We tack a lot of our vacations on to dream conference destinations to save money.) Not that I recommend it with a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old like we did! We do bite off more than we can chew with our take-the-kids-anywhere enthusiasm sometimes. :crack: But active older kids would love it, there's great walking and stargazing and volcanoes and if they can swim well, there are so many great places to snorkel, or swim out to spots where you can hear the whales singing, at the right time of year at least. The water isn't too warm though.

Yep, here in California I could go from Ocean Beach where I am to Big Bear in about 3 hours, depending on wweather and traffic.

Back
Top Bottom