Sir Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only reason I believe anyone has ever found out about award rejections is from the person who was offered it....Otherwise I do believe they are kept private.

U2Man said:

nah, i bet lots of people are offered all kinds of awards and offers from politicians and royal families all the time. many of which are declined, you just don't hear about these.

How many of those are as well known as Bono?

the more well known the person is, the greater the interest is for both parts to keep it private.

LJT said:
The only reason I believe anyone has ever found out about award rejections is from the person who was offered it....Otherwise I do believe they are kept private.

That's what I'd thought. Especially in Bono's case I'm sure they at least sent out feelers not wanting to get a public slap in the face.

of course they did. they knew that there was a risk that bono would say no to this, for obvious reasons.

LJT said:

Well in an ideal world that would be so but a confidential list of all those who had privately refused British honours was leaked to the press a couple of years ago which sparked a big debate, much of it negative, as to whether the celebs concerned should have declined their honours so I wouldn't put it past someone leaking an updated list at some point in the future.

U2Man said:
the more well known the person is, the greater the interest is for both parts to keep it private.

That's pretty naive to believe no one would ever leak it or accidently speak of it...

Bono mentions it in a pub, onlookers go to the papers. Insiders of the queen's go to the papers...this is the world we live in.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's pretty naive to believe no one would ever leak it or accidently speak of it...

Bono mentions it in a pub, onlookers go to the papers. Insiders of the queen's go to the papers...this is the world we live in.

even the governments of superpowers that are considering going to war, must live with the risk of someone in the cabinet leaking something to the press. this is no exception.

even if someone leaks it, it can still be denied by the involved parts, as long as there is no real evidence.

they would never approach bono if they thought he was stupid enough to brag about in a pub, regardless of whether he accepted or declined.

snowbunny00774 said:

Just curious - what do you think are the obvious reasons?

everything LJT has been saying in this thread. this is a sensitive issue for ireland.

snowbunny00774 said:

Just curious - what do you think are the obvious reasons?

Other people's issues with this. His stance on the politics topics been known for years and will not be affected. If the award helps the way he wished for, fine. If not, that's ok too.

And to whoever wrote that: don't think Bono declining this wouldn't surface one way or another - way too big a name to keep it secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour

CS Lewis is a good one on that list, an Irish man who 'declined knighthood to avoid association with any political issues'.

U2Man said:

ummm, and the authenticity of this list?

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3338583.stm which goes into a bit more detail about this. From what I remember none of the celebs who were on the list subsequently denied that they had rejected an honour nor did the Cabinet office claim that the documents weren't genuine. I guess we'll have to wait best part of 30 years until the papers are released to the general public before we know for sure :wink:

the entire English cricket team got awarded an MBE by the queen last year because they managed to win one tournament against one other team

==> who cares

Salome said:
the entire English cricket team got awarded an MBE by the queen last year because they managed to win one tournament against one other team

==> who cares

Are you English ?

If not you wont understand.

vaz02 said:

Are you English ?

If not you wont understand.

after being losers for 19 years they'd need to give out awards for winning one match
it will be a while before that happens again with the mentality the english players are showing

living in the uk but am not english
big cricket fan :up:

Well as you know its very rare england with anything in sports and against AUZ in cricket for the ashes its a major thing.

I think quite a few members of the english world cup winning rugby team got honours too.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Your argument is a crock. The queen's courtiers are very discreet. U2's inner circle are too. Also, there is nothing 'embarassing' in having it subsequently revealed that someone politely refused an honour.

Your argument fails.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2107432,00.html

"Palace officials are always keen to keep quiet those instances when people refuse honours, though poet Benjamin Zephaniah went public about rejecting a CBE in 2003.

The same year, the Sunday Times acquired official documents that it said listed those who had knocked back awards. The list included actors Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave, the painter L S Lowry, Michael Frayn, the playwright, and artist Frank Auerbach.

The paper said Lowry had turned down more honours than anybody else, with a total of five, including a knighthood, a CBE and an OBE.

The leaked files also showed David Bowie and the comedy duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, Sir Benjamin Britten later Lord Britten, and Honor Blackman among those who had refused honours. Author JG Ballard, who rejected a CBE, is on record as saying he was opposed to the "preposterous charade" of the honours system.

· The article above was amended on Thursday June 21 2007. The reference to Sir Benjamin Britten should take into account that he was later Lord Britten. He was created a life peer, Baron Britten of Aldeburgh in the County of Suffolk, in the Queen's Birthday Honours List, June, 1976. This has been corrected."

Last edited:
financeguy said:

The same year, the Sunday Times acquired official documents that it said listed those who had knocked back awards. The list included actors Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave, the painter L S Lowry, Michael Frayn, the playwright, and artist Frank Auerbach.

The paper said Lowry had turned down more honours than anybody else, with a total of five, including a knighthood, a CBE and an OBE.

The leaked files also showed David Bowie and the comedy duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, Sir Benjamin Britten later Lord Britten, and Honor Blackman among those who had refused honours. Author JG Ballard, who rejected a CBE, is on record as saying he was opposed to the "preposterous charade" of the honours system.

· The article above was amended on Thursday June 21 2007. The reference to Sir Benjamin Britten should take into account that he was later Lord Britten. He was created a life peer, Baron Britten of Aldeburgh in the County of Suffolk, in the Queen's Birthday Honours List, June, 1976. This has been corrected."

Let me get this straight, you are saying my argument that it would somehow get leaked is a crock, yet you show me an article that shows leaked documents of those that turned it down?

Am I understand you correctly? :huh:

What I meant was that, and I grant you sometimes leaks do happen, the fact of those people mentioned in the article turning down awards received little enough publicity - even though many of them were famous figures. Alright the Sunday Times went public, but I certainly don't remember any big hoo-ha over the fact that the likes of Bowie was revealed to have turned down an award, for example.

It is only when a person decides to make a big deal of turning down the award THEMSELVES, does it become a big issue in the media.

My point is that Bono could easily (if he so chose) have turned down the award discreetly, without any repercussions.

I think it's stretching credulity to suggest that, had Bono discreetly and tactfully turned down the award (and I avoid using the word 'honour', I don't consider it an honour, considering the number of crooks, thieves and charlatans that have been given them in the past) - that the British political establishment would have gone "how dare that rebellious Irish pop star turn down our baubles of imperialism - let's get our revenge by not giving him what he wants on African debt relief."

Last edited:
financeguy said:
What I meant was that, and I grant you sometimes leaks do happen, the fact of those people mentioned in the article turning down awards received little enough publicity - even though many of them were famous figures. Alright the Sunday Times went public, but I certainly don't remember any big hoo-ha over the fact that the likes of Bowie was revealed to have turned down an award, for example.

It is only when a person decides to make a big deal of turning down the award THEMSELVES, does it become a big issue in the media.

My point is that Bono could easily (if he so chose) have turned down the award discreetly, without any repercussions.

I think it's stretching credulity to suggest that, had Bono discreetly and tactfully turned down the award (and I avoid using the word 'honour', I don't consider it an honour, considering the number of crooks, thieves and charlatans that have been given them in the past) - that the British political establishment would have gone "how dare that rebellious Irish pop star turn down our baubles of imperialism - let's get our revenge by not giving him what he wants on African debt relief."

But my point was never if it was going to be discreet or not, all I said in that post is that it will be leaked and you just proved my point. Your attack on me and calling it 'a crock' and saying it fails was completely uncalled for, and just flat out false.

But you have to love the irony of you calling my post a croc and then proving it right in the same post. That's classic.

Back
Top Bottom