Sir Bob on aid for Ethiopia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So is Bono Mutt or Jeff? ;)

Geldof: Ethiopia aid 'pathetic'

Bob Geldof wants a "war on poverty"
Irish rock star Bob Geldof has criticised the European Union response to Ethiopia's food crisis as "pathetic".
The musician and campaigner was speaking in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa after meeting Prime Minister Meles Zenawi at the start of a five-day tour.

After three years of failed rains, some 14 million Ethiopians are relying on food aid and Mr Meles has warned that his country faces a famine worse than that of 1984.

Geldof's trip comes 20 years after his first visit to Ethiopia inspired Band Aid and Live Aid, raising millions of pounds for famine victims.

"The EU have been pathetic and appalling, and I thought we had dealt with that 20 years ago when the electorate of our countries said never again," Geldof said.

He called on the EU to "release whatever foods it can and get them here as a matter of urgency .... I can guarantee that everyone will not want to see the horror of what we saw in the 80s, and it will truly happen," he said.

'Utter catastrophe'

On Sunday, Ethiopia held its own version of the Live Aid concert which raised millions in 1985.

The Birr for a Compatriot show - the birr is the Ethiopian currency, worth about 12 US cents - was attended by the country's top musicians and raised more than $1m, organisers said.

An estimated 14 million Ethiopians face starvation

But the BBC's Ishbel Matheson in Addis Ababa says this figure is just a drop in the ocean and international funds are needed if the hungry are to be helped.

Geldof is trying to raise international awareness of the Ethiopia food crisis ahead of next week's meeting of the world's seven richest countries and Russia, the G8, next week.

"The G8 meeting is next week and I think it is going to be somewhat characterised by political spite and backbiting over what has happened in Iraq," he said.

"But meanwhile, further south is another country which is facing an utter catastrophe this summer because it has failed to receive over two-thirds of the food requirements that have been promised."

'Skeletal'

BBC correspondent Andrew Harding visited an area three hours' drive south of Addis Ababa where hundreds of women were bringing their children to be weighed at a makeshift clinic.

He said, on that day, 12 youngsters were so severely malnourished they had to be taken straight to the nearest hospital.

Thousands turned out for Ethiopia's 'Live Aid' concert

"The wards are already full of pitifully thin children," he said. "A five-year-old girl called Adanech retches painfully - her skeletal frame too weak to hold down a few sips of milk."

A doctor said that in the past three weeks he had dealt with 60 severely malnourished children - eight whom could not recover and died.

"My belief is that it is the beginning of the problem," he said.

Ethiopia is one of the five poorest countries in the world, with an estimated income of just $100-a-year per person.

Gosh. I wish we could stop this. The damn politicians are too busy with all of this backstabbing and such over the war. I wish they'd knock off the nonsense and apply themselves to constructive policies. :mad: :censored: :censored:

I have always respected Bob Geldof, not only for his role in "The Wall". Live Aid was brilliant. And he never seems to give up, which is admirable.

It is shocking to see Africas situation. Aid in terms of food and medicaments can only be a small part of help the richest nations on this planet should be forced by us rich citizens to offer. Debt cancellation, education, research and development centres, and fair terms of trade would be the next steps, but I just don?t see it happen, and I can?t seriously understand why, because I fail to see the advantages of having more than you need.

Ah yes, Sherry, Darling,...

but that power is very unreal, you know. The ones who think to be in power fail to see that they are neither able to control their very own life or death, nor able to control magic, apart from failing to overpower nature.

Therefore, money or control power is fake power.

It is astounding and bewildering that those in power don?t realize how weak they truly are.

True enough in a philosophical and imporant way.

Still, though, in a lot of ways that power is very real.

Anyway, YEAH BOB! He hasn't given up and neither will I, in whatever small way I can contribute with my time and energy and passion.

(And who said he looks old, I think he looks dashing. :D But I could be biased....)

SD

Sherry Darling said:
True enough in a philosophical and imporant way.

Still, though, in a lot of ways that power is very real.

Sorry to be a little off-topic. I agree that in a lot of ways that power is very real.

I ask myself, though, does it make the people who are in power more happy to see children in Africa dying? I doubt it. I think some just don?t care.

Does it make people who are in power more happy to rotate 1400 billions of $ per day in the financial markets of this planet? I doubt it.

Comfort can make you happy, several houses or cars and financial
security are great, but money power ain?t about that, as we all know.

For us "normal first world" consumers, do five TVs make us more happy than having one? Do 130 channels of shit make us happy? I doubt it.

Giving makes happy. I?d rather have a child in Africa who lives because of my personal aid packages than another TV. And who needs to drive a Mercedes? It is just a shit German car.

So, again back to power... that power is very real, in terms of controlling money streams and controlling resources. And controlling the life of thousands of persons, some fed by products, some dying of thirst.

That power is unreal, though, if you compare it with true power. True power comes from the soul, and not from a mind which manifests itself in nothing but a giant monopoly game. That kind of life is without meaning.

And the ones who are in power fail to understand that. I could tell you hundreds of examples of unhappy politicians, lost in a world of intriguing scandals. Or of bankers who never had time for their own children. Or of arms industry workers, who fool themselves by thinking they are just a little wheel in a machinery they can?t influence. I could even tell you stories of arms and drugs dealers, who are enjoying their lives in Spain, protected by politicians, lawyers and security. Maybe they are happy. But I doubt it.

I think they will never find what they are looking for. True power comes from spirit. True power is to shine like the sun. True power is to be able to heal wounds. True power is giving.

Last edited:
Bob truly walks the walk

Here is a photo from his recent trip-I think it's beautiful..

geldof-dop1a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom