Sins of our Father

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
What say thee on this..

Hutton Gibson's Passion
Hutton Gibson's Passion
Mel Gibson's dad blasts Jews in radio talk show interview
By Carol Eisenberg
STAFF WRITER
Even as Mel Gibson has sought to quell charges that his movie "The Passion of the Christ" is anti-Semitic, his 85-year-old father discounted the idea that millions of Jews died in the Holocaust and said Jews were trying to take over the world.
"It's all - maybe not all fiction - but most of it is," Hutton Gibson said of the Holocaust in a radio interview that will air Monday night.Coming only days before the opening of his son's film on Feb. 25, Ash Wednesday, Hutton Gibson's comments inflamed the debate over whether the film will foment anti-Semitic hatred. Critics of "The Passion," including some Catholic scholars, have said it blames Jews for killing Jesus and caricatures them as bloodthirsty.Mel Gibson denies that and recently agreed to remove the "blood curse," lines from the Gospel of Matthew often interpreted to blame all Jews for all time for Jesus' killing.
A spokesman for ICON, the filmmaker's production company, A. Larry Ross, said that Hutton Gibson had no influence on the making of "The Passion of the Christ" or on the thinking of his son, "who doesn't share those particular views." Ross said Mel Gibson stuck by what he told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an interview aired Monday. "That's my father, OK, I love him," he'd said. "And if they're going to try and drive a wedge in there, it ain't going to happen."Steven Feuerstein, host of the syndicated radio talk show "Speak Your Piece!," said he interviewed Hutton Gibson three times since Monday. Portions of the interviews will be broadcast locally on WSNR/620 Monday and Wednesday at 10 p.m. "He was totally cognizant of everything he was saying," Feuerstein said. "This man has an agenda. That's the bottom line. "
Hutton Gibson, of Summersville, W.Va., is a self-described leader in the ultratraditionalist Catholic sect that rejects reforms of the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), including the church's renunciation of the notion of Jews as culpable for the death of Jesus. According to transcripts of the interview, he also blamed Jews for everything from the Roman persecution of early Christians to fomenting the Russian Revolution to orchestrating an international banking conspiracy. He urges someone to go out and "hang" Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, who is Jewish.
Mel Gibson's defenders denounced the interview yesterday as part of "the whole hit-and-run, and search-and-destroy mission by Gibson's enemies" in the words of William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.
The president of the company that distributes "Speak Your Piece!" called yesterday for a boycott of all of Gibson's films.
"His actions speak louder than his words," said Zev Brenner, a rabbi who is president and executive producer of the Manhattan-based Talkline Communications Network, America's largest syndicator of Jewish programming. "He could come out and say, 'I love my father, but I disagree with his views.'"
Most Jewish leaders, however, were relatively muted in their reaction.
"On the one hand, he's [Hutton Gibson] a classical anti-Semite who is full of conspiracy theories and hate and perversion," said Abraham Foxman, executive director of the Anti-Defamation League.
But Foxman said it would be unfair to ascribe Hutton Gibson's views to his son. "There are examples of parents who are bigots and children who are not, and vice versa. So who knows?"
Still, the father's remarks may help explain why Mel Gibson has "not gotten" Jewish concerns, Foxman said.
"I've been saying all along that I don't believe he's an anti-Semite," Foxman said of Mel Gibson. "I think he just doesn't get it. And this gives a partial explanation of why. If he was raised hearing all these things about Jews, it would be difficult for him to comprehend that which hurts us and pains us."

I've been thinking about this since I heard what his Father said yesterday. One way I think is this..if people assumed I was like my Father and/or shared his views on anything and everything, I'd be extremely unhappy about that. On the other hand, there is a definitive time for me when a child/relative HAS TO denounce bigotry and hatred, among other behaviors, no matter what effect it has on your relationship. What his Father says is bigoted and hateful in my opinion, and Mel's failure to denounce it is extremely disappointing to me.

I want to see this movie, but I loathe the thought that doing so supports in any way, shape, or form the ideas of his Father. He can deny all he wants that he shares these crazy ideas, but unfortunately the sins of his Father are reflecting very poorly on him. It IS unfair to ascribe his Father's views to him, but considering the subject matter of the movie, it does raise questions.

If you can't denounce ideas such as this if your relatives espouse them, what type of love and relationship is that?

Why is his father being interviewed in the first place?

Yeah if people assumed I believed like my father, they'd be extremely mistaken.

Poor Mel, his father sounds like a very unpleasant old man.

Mel's father is one of those Catholics who rejects the reforms of Vatican II. I have a terrible time with these people. They tend to be really crabby, one of them started a real ruckus on a Catholic board I was on with an anti-Semitic remark, carried on with anti-Protestant remarks :censored: :censored:.........it was a mess. Mel needs to disassociate himself with these views. They're bad news.

I am of the same thought process.. I was raised very catholic and in a protesant irish divide home .. where I witnessed family members not speak to each other for years for standing up for there beliefs so I have seen it tear families apart and that is sad..
My parents and I strongly diasagree on the catholic church and how we view it.. it's tough but we have enough respect for each other not let our different beliefs get in the way of our family and our love for each other. Do I believe Mel thinks the same way as what his father has said.. no not at all.. and I respect family privacy .. but common Mel not to come out and say I don't agree with my father.. your adding fuel to the fire.. I believe if you relationship and love is strong enough then to say I dont agree with my father is not a hard thing to do.. to take a stance..

So ya I guess I am a little dissapointed in Mel .. but maybe I just do not know the whole story..

I will still see the movie..

The media is not content with just a powerful movie about one of the most significant events in all of history (the resurrection is the most significant event in all of history), so they need to create controversy.

I respect Mel Gibson's stance that he won't create a public rift with his father. If they disagree - they can disagree within the confines of their family.

You've got a point nbc. This is indeed a case of someone basically exploiting a situation to sell their publication. I have had some problems with Catholics who reject Vatican II (can you say "personal insult"?) so I tend to be a bit emotional about them. I have strong feelings about Vatican II. But this is Mel's situation to work out for himself. The press has no business meddling in his family stuff.

I'm not sure when this would have been taped, but there will be a radio interview available here on February 23, he *may* address the issue about his father. Ultimately, they are 2 different people - I really think the media is just trying to stir things up in an attempt to deter people from going to this movie :shrug:

bonosloveslave said:
I really think the media is just trying to stir things up in an attempt to deter people from going to this movie :shrug:

I think this statement is the other half of this bad conspiracy theory. I don't think the media is trying to deter anyone from going to see this movie anymore than I think Gibson intentionally tried to be anti-semetic. The media brings about controversy, that's what they do. Controversy has never stopped anyone from seeing a movie, in fact the opposite.

I've heard this quite a bit as of late and it's just ridiculous.

Controversy tends to have a positive effect on movies. I'm sure there are people who will now see the movie just to see if it is "anti-semetic".

Besides, it is an easier topic than the theological Truths presented by the movie.

I think it might be fair to say some people/groups are trying to use the media to deter people from going to see it.
Controversy can be a good thing. In this case, it is getting people to think, when they might not have before as much. It is at least piquing the interest.
Mine is, and these subtitles mean I can go see it and have an inkling of what is going on lol.

During the interview Mel stated he doesn't believe the Holocaust was in any way made up. He believes 6 million Jews were killed and it was one of the most horrific things in history.
He also stated he won't fight with his father over the subject and won't allow the media to meddle with his relationship with his father. ie He loves him.

No offense Scarletwine, but I don't believe Mel Gibson is ever going to state publicly if he has any views of that sort. Of course I take him at his word, but I have some doubts considering what I have read. Mel comes across as being a bit of an arrogant man, but of course that's just my take on him.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't believe Mel Gibson is ever going to state publicly if he has any views of that sort.

But people can only base their opinions on his public speeches and actions though. Speculating about what beliefs he has but chooses not to make public seems pretty pointless as we can never know what someone thinks but chooses not to make public.

While 'the media' does tend to go for controversy, there still is all kinds of media--even if it's not the biggest mainstream one
{ media super-consolidation ? :madspit: }.

I am troubled by MG's lack of some kind of public disclaiment with his father on the anti-semetic statement--in a quiet, respectful way.

Hes's made this Big Film which has a difficult issue in there {of possible anti-semitism}. If you are creating something So Big like that and family staeemnts come to light- well, i think there is a relatively reasonable request to ask him {MG}. Right now MG is ina *very public position* on this.

And as a radio host i respect said, if MG's father has been spouting off this kind of atitude all MG's life, isn't it at least possible to suggest MG *might* have internalized some *little bit* of anti-semitism- even if he's not conciuosly aware of it.

--------------------------------

As for "theological 'Truths' " , nb,i ewant to get your position clear

Are you saying that anyone that doesn't follow Catholism/or Christianity will end up with a bad afterlife {how ever that person conceives it}? Even if they have been good practitioners of "...do unto others....& ...as for the least of these, you do to me"....?

Last edited:
dazzledbylight said:
As for "theological 'Truths' " , nb,i ewant to get your position clear

Are you saying that anyone that doesn't follow Catholism/or Christianity will end up with a bad afterlife {how ever that person conceives it}? Even if they have been good practitioners of "...do unto others....& ...as for the least of these, you do to me"....?

I would not say you need to follow a certain religion. But Jesus' own words make it clear that the path to salvation is through faith in Christ alone. How we deal with Jesus' words is for each individual to decide (we can accept or reject).

Those who do put their faith in Christ should demonstrate their faith through their love of their neighbors (i.e., everyone).

MrsSpringsteen said:
No offense Scarletwine, but I don't believe Mel Gibson is ever going to state publicly if he has any views of that sort. Of course I take him at his word, but I have some doubts considering what I have read. Mel comes across as being a bit of an arrogant man, but of course that's just my take on him.

I don't disagree with you. I was just stating his expressed views.

Who can see into a man's heart :shrug:

Of course you are right about that :) I certainly can't..like I said, I have to take him at his word, because obviously I have no personal knowledge about him. I just have some doubts and questions, that's all :)

I guess the point I was possibly thinking of was that for professional reasons, I would think he wouldn't say so publicly, but of course that's just pure conjecture on my part.

Back
Top Bottom