Sinclair invokes Holocaust as reason to air film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
I respect people if they have their own political opinions. Fine. I don't think Sinclair Broadcasting should be showing an anti-Kerry film on its stations without showing an anti-Bush or pro-Kerry film as well. Fine. These are the same people who pre-empted the reading of the names of dead soldiers on Nightline because it was "contrary to public interest" which makes their decision to run this anti-Kerry movie hypocritical. Whatever.

But this is the quote from their VPs:

Sinclair, based in the Baltimore suburb of Hunt Valley, decided to air the film after it was rejected for airing by the major broadcast networks, vice president Mark Hyman said. "This is a powerful story," Hyman said. "The networks are acting like Holocaust deniers and pretending [the POWs] don't exist. It would be irresponsible to ignore them."

link

Am I out of my mind or being too pro-Kerry to find this reasoning totally unexcusable? Am I the only one offended by this?

It rhymes with RUNT!

I think that Kerry's anti-war activity is important and that the POW's deserve their say but using holocaust denial to argue is the weakest argument.

Just when you thought things couldn't go any lower... To bring up the Holocaust in response to this matter is so, so wrong.

If Sinclair Broadcasting would offer the same amount of time for a rebuttal by the Kerry camp as they will use airing their documentary, much of the criticism against it would stop.

It makes no sense to me to invoke the Holocaust in connection with this. No you're not out of your mind. The guy is acting like an idiot. I'm sorry if perhaps my support of Kerry is clouding my judgment on this. If someone honestly doesn't like Kerry I have no trouble with this. Political candidates are fair game for dislike. Is Sinclair claiming that Kerry acted like Hitler? If so this is really irresponsible and stupid.

No lets not take this out of hand - nobody is comparing people to Hitler or Nazi's. Sinclair is saying that attempting to ignore the actions of John Kerry in the anti-War Movement (reminicent of Genghis Khan :wink: ) they are no different than those who ignore the evidence for the Holocaust. Now that is a really bad way to argue what is a legitimate point. He violated Goodwin's law and hence the argument is moot. A much better option to base an argument off would be Rather ignoring the truth about the "Bush Guard Memos" - that they were fabrications - after they were exposed.

e.g. The "liberal media" ignores John Kerry's anti-war activity just like they ignored the evidence that the Bush Guard memo's were fabrications.

I wouldn't argue it that way but just by invoking something like Holocaust Denial to illustrate the point the entire proposition is fucked.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is *ignoring* John Kerry's protest activities. These have practically been front-page news. He's discussed it, in his acceptance speech, no less. I have never been through such a bitter, hateful campaign. This makes 1988 look like milquetoast. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom