Silly Christofacsists on CNN burning Harry Potter books - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #381
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Who calls tonight but my Priest. Why is she calling me? To talk about the Harry Potter Book....she wanted to know if I finished it. I have, and she wanted to add me to the parish email curculating about the book.
For a moment there I thought you were going to say, "She wanted to know if there was a connection between my absence from church and Harry Potter..."

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Tolkein was a Christian, and his books were largely allegorically Christian in nature.
80s, have you ever seen the site www.the-patronus.com? It is a Christian Harry Potter site by the same people who do the Christian LOR site, www.angelsandelves.com. (It has not been updated to cover the new book yet, unfortunately.)

Old 08-01-2005, 08:39 PM   #382
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:31 AM
I just started reading The Silmarillion straight through for the first time. The forwards were really very illuminating about Tolkein's conception of LOTR and the Christian allegory.

In a letter to his publisher, Tolkien talked about the King Arthur myths and why he felt they weren't the right mythology for Britain. "For another and more important thing: it is involved in, and explicitly contains the Christian religion. For reasons which I will not elaborate, that seems to me fatal. Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error) but not explicit, not in the known form of the primary "real" world."

Now, later in his life, Tolkien's work took a more religious turn as his son found out when he tried to edit it together. "In his later writing mythology and poetry sank down behind his theological and philosophical preoccupations: from which arose incompatibilities of tone."

People can read books however they want to, and if these two websites allow more Christians to accept fantasy literature, so much the better. I only hope they're read more as extended literary criticism than religious truth--but there's no harm in either, I suppose. But I can't help but wince when angelsandelves.com describes Arwen as symbolic of the church and the sacrifice of Jesus. Tolkein is so much more than that. It seems a shame to dissect his work that way rather than to admire his own originality and stories of good and evil, and love and fellowship.

But that's my own private two cents.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #383
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:31 PM
This pastor is so going to hell

http://www.stpaulsnorwalk.org/sermon...n20030824.html