Silent ethnocide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holy John

Acrobat
I'd like to bring the Israelis/Palestinian question once more in this forum because there is a serious lack of talks about the situation over the last few days, not only in this forum, but in the general world and the big medias, wether they are called CNN, SBC, RDI, FR2 or whatever. There is also a lack of action from the International Community and despite the veto the United States of America applied a month ago at the Security Council at the United Nations, something should be done, wether its by the United Nations themselves or by the European Union to see themselves what is done against the Palestinian people under a "protection of the State" reason, farther than the simple primitive physical action against terrorism. What is happening in Palestine is an ethnocide. The Isrealis Military is at 25 meters of Arafat's offices. Now they are bringing questions of wether or not they should deport Arafat or "something" else. Deport Arafat ? It will divide Palestinians and perpatuate a terrorism wich is the symptom of an absence of confidence in peaceful means to achieve peace.

I clearly protest to the United States of America for their veto against sending U.N. workers in Palestine one month ago and for their military support in these conditions with Israel. I strongly protest against Ariel Sharon himself for being the hand of this ethnocide. I protest against the United Nations for not reforming its Security Council Zoo, build on a situation that was a fact 50 years ago. This Security Council, with the 5 permanent members ruling all the UN, is a joke. I also protest against the European Union for not acting or even protesting, despite their official position wich is valuable. But without actions, this position is not making a difference.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ethnocide is the destruction of culture, i.e., making all American Indians act like white Europeans during the 19th century. The difference, obviously, is that ethnocide doesn't involve killing people; just their way of life.

By the context of what you wrote, I'm thinking you mean genocide, as in Israel trying to murder all the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Or whatever. I will not wholly get into it right at this moment, but I think it is quite difficult for Sharon to demand that Arafat control terrorism, when Sharon continues to destroy the infrastructure that could possibly do this. Basically, by destroying Arafat's police and military infrastructure, how is he supposed to bring terrorists to justice?

But Sharon is a known right-wing extremist, and I never trusted for once that he wanted peace; or, if he does, he wants it at his terms and his terms only. If there ever is to be peace, both sides will have to curtail their behavior. Arafat will have to rid terrorist organizations out of his territory and Sharon will have to stop antagonizing the Palestinians. But that's about as unlikely as any scenario at this point.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I don't have an article or quote on hand at the moment, but it seems to be evident that Arafat really doesn't have any power over the terrorist groups, and It's been argued .. very little power to catch the terrorists even with a healthy police force, regardless of Sharon's retaliatory attacks.. But yah, with his police being knocked out, he's got even less power, but then you get into teh arguments, of who's the majority.. the people siding with arafat or those siding with the radical terrorists.. This is a horrible situation, on both sides, and I think I'm going to exit this thread because my head is spinning just thinking of it, and hopefully return when this morning's biochemistry class has worn off, or at least after I pluck every single hair from my arm pit with a Swiss Army Tweezer.

L. Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:
I don't have an article or quote on hand at the moment, but it seems to be evident that Arafat really doesn't have any power over the terrorist groups, and It's been argued .. very little power to catch the terrorists even with a healthy police force, regardless of Sharon's retaliatory attacks.. But yah, with his police being knocked out, he's got even less power, but then you get into teh arguments, of who's the majority.. the people siding with arafat or those siding with the radical terrorists.. This is a horrible situation, on both sides, and I think I'm going to exit this thread because my head is spinning just thinking of it, and hopefully return when this morning's biochemistry class has worn off, or at least after I pluck every single hair from my arm pit with a Swiss Army Tweezer.

L. Unplugged

For once we can say the same. Sharon says :"It's up to Arafat" but is doing everything to keep Arafat off the situation. On one hand, I think its fair to say that the terrorist are using this mean because they clearly think they have no other means (except rocks) to make their statement, and on another hand terrorism is not a solution, by attacking civilians. On the other side, is Sharon justified to send his Army ?

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

Back
Top Bottom