Signs the Apocalypse Are Upon Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Thousands Of Lawyers Prepare For Battle In Florida

Democrats have trained more than 10,000 lawyers for action, if needed, in Florida and other swing states. An estimated 2,000 Democratic attorneys are expected to be working in the Sunshine State on election issues. Republicans have not released their numbers but have said it will be enough to counter any legal moves by the Democrats.

Add whatever Republican lawyers in place and :yikes:

What's really sad is that it has come to this. I think it's pretty clear, though, that the left will not budge a single inch this time around, and will concede nothing.

And, unfortunately, further divide the nation. If you are implying that Gore gave up something by budging, I recall post election counts that supported the Bush victory in Florida.

The election is now about one side winning (and the $$$ that goes with it). It use to be as shining example of how power was transferred smoothly.

People supported the Bush victory, Bush had 85% approval rating after 9/11. That's alot of people united behind the president. He created the divide. He could have kept America united and he didn't. He divided us with his policies, not Gore, not Kerry. They were not president for the past four years. It was Bush.

Well then, Bush can be the bigger person and concede this time. Since he's a uniter, not a divider and all.

sharky said:
People supported the Bush victory, Bush had 85% approval rating after 9/11. That's alot of people united behind the president. He created the divide. He could have kept America united and he didn't. He divided us with his policies, not Gore, not Kerry. They were not president for the past four years. It was Bush.

Remember, when a finger is pointed, there are three pointing back the other direction.

The division in this country is bigger than one person. And both sides play a role in it.

I spoke with somebody working on the Kerry campaign in Philly, who said there will be at least one lawyer present at every polling station in Philly every minute of the voting day next week. Another person I spoke to in San Francisco is on a team of lawyers providing pro bono research and legal support in case there is a major contention in any one of the battleground states. These people seem extremely well organized, I was actually rather surprised at how vast the network is beyond the 10,000+ in presence in the actual battleground states. The number is much higher if you count those extending support from the outside.

When Republicans do this, it is called voter intimidation (and toss in a race card as well). When the DNC does this, it is a "well organized" machine.

nbcrusader said:
When Republicans do this, it is called voter intimidation (and toss in a race card as well). When the DNC does this, it is a "well organized" machine.

Gag me with a spoon. Someone needs to add an emoticon of a tiny violin.

Of course when Republicans do this it's called "voter intimidation". Their stated purpose is to keep people from voting. We can argue about whether that's a good thing or bad in specific cases, but either way, intimidation is the whole bloody point.

Say all you want, but you'll never see a Democrat trying to prevent people from voting. There's a reason why nobody says they're intimidating anyone.

strannix said:

Say all you want, but you'll never see a Democrat trying to prevent people from voting. There's a reason why nobody says they're intimidating anyone.

Some wags might say that getting felons and dead people to vote is the Democrats' bag.

nbcrusader said:
I love how some can create false distinctions over identical behavior based on party affiliation. :applaud:

It's like you don't even read the words on the page.

IT'S NOT IDENTICAL BEHAVIOR!

speedracer said:

Some wags might say that getting felons and dead people to vote is the Democrats' bag.

They might, but that's a different argument. As long as they're not intimidating the dead people, my point stands....

Oh please. Both parties have people to watch the polls. The idea is to identify potential voting irregularities. If the DNC wants to give it a different label, so be it. The behavior is identical.

nbcrusader said:
Oh please. Both parties have people to watch the polls. The idea is to identify potential voting irregularities. If the DNC wants to give it a different label, so be it. The behavior is identical.

That's a ridiculous contention. Even if I accept that the goal is identical - preventing voter fraud - the means of achieving this could not be more different.

But if you want to argue that preventing people from voting and enabling people to vote is the same thing, go ahead. Most people will realize that "preventing" and "enabling" in fact have completely opposite meanings.

Ah, so the contention is that the DNC lawyers will only assist potential disenfranchised voters from GOP poll watchers?

I guess the idea that someone from the left would ever intimidate another person is outside the realm of possibility?

The DNC may give it another title, but the practical affect of the poll watchers is identical.

nbcrusader said:

The DNC may give it another title, but the practical affect of the poll watchers is identical.

:banghead:

No point in arguing. If the sight of a DNC lawyer arguing that the black guy in front of you is indeed eligible to vote intimidates you, what can I say?

Look, I'm not arguing that the DNC folks are on the side of the angels in every single instance. But if you think their intent or their effect is to scare people away from voting, you're simply, objectively wrong. It's just not a matter of opinion.

strannix said:
But if you think their intent or their effect is to scare people away from voting, you're simply, objectively wrong. It's just not a matter of opinion.

What is the basis for this contention? Because that is what they told you?

I don't want to get into a partisian pissing match over this. But it strains credibility to suggest that the GOP's main goal is to intimidate registered voters while the DNC's main goal is to protect the "disenfranchised". It is based on tired old stereotypes of the parties.

nbcrusader said:

What is the basis for this contention? Because that is what they told you?

I don't want to get into a partisian pissing match over this. But it strains credibility to suggest that the GOP's main goal is to intimidate registered voters while the DNC's main goal is to protect the "disenfranchised". It is based on tired old stereotypes of the parties.

No, it's not based on "stereotypes". It is in the GOP's interest to suppress turnout, especially minority turnout. Likewise, it is in the Dems' interest to ensure a high turnout, especially minority turnout. Polling has born this out again and again. It's self-evident (or at least I thought it was ...) that both parties will act in their own self-interest.

Again, I'm not claiming that the Dems are necessarily on the side of the angels. If the situation was reversed, the roles would be too. But they're not.

Back
Top Bottom