Should We Rebuild?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
It's a good question to what is generally a foregone conclusion: the devastated areas of the Gulf coast are all but certain to be rebuilt.

But should we?

What will amount to a several month and $30 billion cost, more or less, will do nothing to prevent it from happening again. It's not like rebuilding the World Trade Center here. You can, more or less, do things to prevent terrorism, or, at least, make it's damage potential less widespread. But hurricanes are part of nature, and hell...another storm of the same caliber as Hurricane Katrina could develop next month and slam its way into the same region. If not next month or next year, it will happen again.

And there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.

We're talking areas now that need to be completely rebuilt. But should we? Should we just admit that we're powerless to stop nature here, cut our losses, and try to rebuild more inland? After all, the cities that we build today would certainly develop the same majesty 200 years from now that our existing 200 year old cities currently have, and our descendants probably won't care if we didn't build in the same spot as the old city or not.

Thoughts?

Melon

Last edited:
I have a property that is worth 1.5 million a couple hundred feet from the Pacific Ocean.

If a tsunami took it out I would probably rebuilt.

A tsunami is earthquake related and will hit every few hundred years.

It seems some of these properties in the mid west get flooded every 10 - 20 years.

In Indonesia they have set up a buffer zone a few hundred yards from the shore.

How often is New Orleans under water?

I was not so aware of the bowl situation before. It seems high risk.

I'm not familiar with the geohydrological situation in New Orleans but I'd say from watching the news that flooding is the biggest problem. Bad flood defences and failing pumping stations, with polluted slurry spread throughout the city and rotting wooden houses which are sinking in the swamp as a result, seem to be a bigger longterm problem than damages from the wind velocity. I think it is possible to build new flood defences that can withstand hurricanes, even with the predicted rising sealevels, but it's going to cost a lot of money for the construction and maintenance.

I'm guessing that, like most cities in a riverdelta, New Orleans is for a large part financially dependant of the harbour and the fertile soils, so "moving" the city upstream might in the longrun cost you even more.

DrTeeth said:
I'm guessing that, like most cities in a riverdelta, New Orleans is for a large part financially dependant of the harbour and the fertile soils, so "moving" the city upstream might in the longrun cost you even more.

The harbor might be right, but the "soil fertility" was ruined 70 years ago with the levee system. The irony is that the levees stopped the natural silt process from the Mississippi River that destroyed a lot of the coastal protections that should normally have protected against such disastrous flooding in nature.

Melon

Then you have The Tragically Hip's "New Orleans is Sinking".

What a song. :|

Back
Top Bottom