Should we kill people for not killing people? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I wonder why some people get such satisfaction from the deaths of others.
Do they high-five each other on the way to church?
__________________

martha is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,749
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Snowlock I don't understand how you find the death penalty in this case justifiable. Foster did not kill the victim here. That guy has already been executed. Why should he get the death penalty if he didn't kill anyone? Many people go to jail for charges of being an accomplice or whatever. But this is different, he is being sentenced to death! Why should he be killed when he didn't even kill. Yes he fled, but people aren't sentenced to death for fleeing.
__________________

unico is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Why should he be killed when he didn't even kill.
Because Texas never met an application of the death penalty it didn't like.
martha is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #24
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


Do they high-five each other on the way to church?
That's just idiotic.
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #25
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Snowlock I don't understand how you find the death penalty in this case justifiable. Foster did not kill the victim here. That guy has already been executed. Why should he get the death penalty if he didn't kill anyone? Many people go to jail for charges of being an accomplice or whatever. But this is different, he is being sentenced to death! Why should he be killed when he didn't even kill. Yes he fled, but people aren't sentenced to death for fleeing.
Because the dude's a scumbag. I'm not the sort of person who believes all life is sacred. He was and is a burden on society and I'm all to happy to have him removed from it.

That's not to say I think this is how things should be done, period. This is more of a happy accident, like tripping on the sidewalk and finding a 5 dollar bill in the grass.

I hate predators, and I'm very happy to see them get theirs.
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Because the dude's a scumbag. I'm not the sort of person who believes all life is sacred. He was and is a burden on society and I'm all to happy to have him removed from it.

That's not to say I think this is how things should be done, period. This is more of a happy accident, like tripping on the sidewalk and finding a 5 dollar bill in the grass.

I hate predators, and I'm very happy to see them get theirs.


so are there other criminals/scumbags you'd just assume see lined up and shot into an open grave? what other crimes do you feel are worthy of the death penalty? car theft? robbery? rape? selling pot? certainly these things are burdens on society, should we just kill these criminals too? one strike and you're out?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,749
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Because the dude's a scumbag. I'm not the sort of person who believes all life is sacred. He was and is a burden on society and I'm all to happy to have him removed from it.

That's not to say I think this is how things should be done, period. This is more of a happy accident, like tripping on the sidewalk and finding a 5 dollar bill in the grass.

I hate predators, and I'm very happy to see them get theirs.
What makes him a predator? How is that worth KILLING him? What did he do wrong? He didn't hurt anybody.
unico is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #28
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega


Reading comprehension?

The next sentence reads: "This case is a bit different." OK, the qualifier "a bit" is misplaced, you could leave that out. Still, it indicates that I wasn't describing that very situation in the paragraph above.


Reading comoprehension? CAREFUL. You see where I acknowledge you don't when I say "no, you don't." Someone needs to take their own advice, perhaps.

Quote:
Maybe where you live, but here, in fact, guns are rarely used. You have to differentiate between who pulled the trigger, and who was accomplice. That's how it works normally. But apparently not in Texas, which is sad.
No that's not how it works normally, necessarily. What about conspiracy cases when the guy who hires another guy gets a longer prison term than the guy who pulls the trigger. Or what about the guy who is serving a life sentance, the same as a killer, when all they did was rob a convenience store three times and got nailed on a three-strikes-you're-out law?

Quote:
Furthermore it's easy for you to judge every criminal and wish him the death penalty, as long as it's no relative or friend to yourself.
That's just it, no one I know, and lets not be so silly as to bring race into this, does this. Decent everyday human beings do not carjack. It's the sociopaths and the psychopaths that do this, and no amount of prison time is going to fix them. It's the rabid dog principle.

Quote:
That's the figure I've read some while ago, maybe you have another one.
Dude, I don't know where you got that figure from, be it yesterday or a while ago, it's b.s. How do I prove it? I ride in cars without guns every day. All kinds of people's cars.
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico


What makes him a predator? How is that worth KILLING him? What did he do wrong? He didn't hurt anybody.
Honestly? Why do you think he was following the victims' car?
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

That's just it, no one I know, and lets not be so silly as to bring race into this, does this. Decent everyday human beings do not carjack. It's the sociopaths and the psychopaths that do this, and no amount of prison time is going to fix them. It's the rabid dog principle.



this is an incredibly naive statement.

would that the world were actually this simple. only bad people do bad things, and only good people do good things, and good people never do bad things.

that's how it is in Simple World.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #31
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




so are there other criminals/scumbags you'd just assume see lined up and shot into an open grave? what other crimes do you feel are worthy of the death penalty? car theft? robbery? rape? selling pot? certainly these things are burdens on society, should we just kill these criminals too? one strike and you're out?
Irving, you think this dude was a one striker?

And as I said, I wouldn't want it this way all the time, but I'm certainly not up in arms about it now. We're a long way from Kosovo here. I'm mean my God, sometimes I wonder about the perspective of people on these boards. Wasting this guy tomorrow is not going to lead to yellow badges on homosexuals next week.
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Honestly? Why do you think he was following the victims' car?


so the rule of law goes out the window when we have a hunch?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Wasting this guy tomorrow is not going to lead to yellow badges on homosexuals next week.


no, but see, that's exactly what it does.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #34
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511





this is an incredibly naive statement.

would that the world were actually this simple. only bad people do bad things, and only good people do good things, and good people never do bad things.

that's how it is in Simple World.
No it's not a naive statement. It's the fact you are either missing the point, or refusing to acknowledge it to further your "agenda". I am not advocating this law. I'm saying this particular guy was a dirtbag, karma's a bitch, enjoy Hell.
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #35
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,676
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Honestly? Why do you think he was following the victims' car?
Robbery was the motive according to the case. So we should kill robbers, now?
Diemen is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #36
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,676
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock
I am not advocating this law. I'm saying this particular guy was a dirtbag, karma's a bitch, enjoy Hell.
Except he didn't kill anyone, so that's not exactly karma.
Diemen is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #37
Refugee
 
Snowlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,222
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




no, but see, that's exactly what it does.
Oh my god. What planet are you on exactly?? Were you even able to type that with a straight face? Are you in fact saying that we are on the cusp of a totalitarian state equalling at minimum Bosnia, and possibly the Third Reich?

Dude, seriously, shut your computer off, leave the cell phone behind. Hop on a plane to Montana, take one of those dude ranch vacations. You're over-whelmed.
Snowlock is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


No it's not a naive statement. It's the fact you are either missing the point, or refusing to acknowledge it to further your "agenda". I am not advocating this law. I'm saying this particular guy was a dirtbag, karma's a bitch, enjoy Hell.


and that's why we don't use emotion and anger and vegence to determine what is and what isn't acceptable punishments for crimes. we have laws for such things in order to ensure that all citizens are treated fairly.

and, yes, if you think all carjackers are sociopaths who'd just assume hack you into little pieces as steal your CD player, then you *really* need to get out and meet some people. it's incredibly naive to think all criminals are the same and all crimes are the same. the justice system doesn't do that, though it seems as if you have no problems treating everyone the same so long as they meet your "sociopath" criteria -- which, by your own words, means they could be a killer or a carjackers. doesn't matter! they suck! let 'em fry!

don't know what "agenda" you're talking about, but the "agenda" i'm sensing from you is one of white suburban privilege.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,749
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Honestly? Why do you think he was following the victims' car?
But it has already been determined that they WEREN'T following that car. He was convicted for the simple charge that he should have ANTICIPATED that his friend would shoot the victim. How in the world could he have anticipated that? They were on their way home!
unico is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock


Oh my god. What planet are you on exactly?? Were you even able to type that with a straight face? Are you in fact saying that we are on the cusp of a totalitarian state equalling at minimum Bosnia, and possibly the Third Reich?

Dude, seriously, shut your computer off, leave the cell phone behind. Hop on a plane to Montana, take one of those dude ranch vacations. You're over-whelmed.


Snowlock, i never mind what you actually say, but the manner in which you type is incredibly offensive. you really need to tone it down. it's only because i'm able to read past your histrionic melodramatics and see the fact that you are an intelligent person that i respond to your posts.

yes, when the rule of law is applied differently to different people, then this is one of the signs of a totalitarian state. when individual rights are swept aside because people represent "burdens on society," then you have the beginnings of a totalitarian state. the price of liberty is eternal vigilence.

go read some Kafka and then we'll talk, sweetpea.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×