Should The Gun Control Issue Be Re-instated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fly so high!

Refugee
Statistics, Gun Control Issues, and Safety
Gunshot wounds inpact severely on the criminal justice as well as health care systems. Some basic statistics are important in understanding the magnitude and severity of the social and economic burden to the U.S.

In the U.S. for 2001, there were 29,573 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 16,869; Homicide 11,348; Accident 802; Legal Intervention 323; Undetermined 231.(CDC, 2004) This makes firearms injuries one of the top ten causes of death in the U.S. The number of firearms-related injuries in the U.S., both fatal and non-fatal, increased through 1993, but has since declined steadily.(CDC, 2001) However, firearms injuries remain a leading cause of death in the U.S., particularly among youth (CDC, 2004).

The number of non-fatal injuries is considerable--over 200,000 per year in the U.S. Many of these injuries require hospitalization and trauma care. A 1994 study revealed the cost per injury requiring admission to a trauma center was over $14,000. The cumulative lifetime cost in 1985 for gunshot wounds was estimated to be $911 million, with $13.4 billion in lost productivity. (Mock et al, 1994) The cost of the improper use of firearms in Canada was estimated at $6.6 billion per year. (Chapdelaine and Maurice, 1996)

The rates of firearms deaths in the U.S. vary significantly by race and sex. The U.S. national average was 10.3 deaths per 100,000 population in 2001. The highest rate was 34.5/100,000 for African-American males, more than double the rate of 16.3/100,000 for white males and well above the rate of 2.7/100,000 for white females. (CDC, 2004)

Firearms Death Rate (per 100,000, age adjusted) for Selected Countries in one year between 1990 and 1995 (Krug, Powell and Dahlberg, 1998)

Gun Control Issues, Public Health, and Safety
The number of firearms injuries remains high in the United States, compared with most of the rest of the world. Firearm suicide rates are strongly impacted by the rate of gun ownership. (Kaplan and Geling, 1998) There is a positive correlation between homicide rates and availability of guns in developed nations. (Hemenway and Miller, 2000) The number of firearms in the hands of private citizens continues to grow each year at a rate far exceeding that of the population as a whole. It might even be said that Americans live in a "gun culture" based upon traditions and behaviors well-entrenched in our society. This is reflected in our constitution, whose second amendment guarantees that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." Though the application of this amendment applied to maintenance of a militia, and not private gun ownership, the second amendment has been consistently interpreted to protect private ownership of many types of guns.

Thus, the laws of our Federal government as well as the states do not as yet severely restrict the manufacture, sale, and use of firearms by ordinary citizens. "Gun control" is a sensitive issue that evokes strong emotions in persons both for and against control. Politicians find it difficult to deal with this issue. There is disagreement as to whether a reduction in access to or numbers of firearms will have a measurable effect upon crime. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act passed in 1994 in the U.S. established a nationwide requirement that licensed firearms dealers observe a waiting period and initiate a background check for handgun sales (but the law does not apply to secondary markets). So far, this law has not been associated with overall reductions in homicide rate or suicide rate.(Ludwig and Cook, 2000) Perhaps our attitudes--and our tolerances--are reflected in the high visibility of firearms and firearms-inflicted injuries that are portrayed in the media: newspapers, magazines, books, films, and television. (Price et al, 1992) One thing remains certain, despite laws for or against gun control, a lack of love toward one's fellow human beings, whether in war or through domestic violence, will continue to promote firearms injuries.

Child safety is an important issue. Firearms injury is the second leading cause of non-natural death in childhood and adolescence. (CDC, 2004) Accidental shooting deaths are most commonly associated with one or more children playing with a gun they found in the home. (Choi, et al, 1994) The person pulling the trigger is a friend, family member, or the victim. (Harruff, 1992)

The table below indicates mode of death for firearms injuries in the ten countries with the most reported deaths from firearms for children less than 15 years of age. (CDC, 1997)

Firearms Deaths by Mode of Death for Children <15 Years of Age
Top 10 Countries - Rate per 100,000

In one survey, 10% of families admitted to having unlocked and loaded firearms within easy reach of children (Patterson and Smith, 1987). Another study showed that two-thirds of accidental firearms injuries occured in the home, and one-third involved children under 15. 45% were self-inflicted, and 16% occurred when children were playing with guns. (Morrow and Hudson, 1986) A study from 1991-2000 showed that twice as many people died from unintentional firearm injuries in states in the U.S. where firearm owners were more likely to store their firearms loaded. (Miller, et al, 2005)

The issue of "home defense" or protection against intruders may well be misrepresented. Of 626 shootings in or around a residence in three U.S. cities revealed that, for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides (Kellermann et al, 1998). Over 50% of all households in the U.S. admit to having firearms (Nelson et al, 1987). It would appear that, rather than beign used for defense, most of these weapons inflict injuries on the owners and their families.

Hunting accidents with firearms, despite the large gun ownership in this country and numerous game seasons in most states, remain relatively rare and do not appear to be increasing. (Huiras, et al, 1990) A study in Sweden indicated a rate of 0.074/100,000 and that, when hunting big game, most accidents resulted from a mistaken target. When hunting small game, accidents occurred most frequently as a result of mishandling the gun. Hunting accidents did not increase with increasing gun ownership or numbers of hunters. (Ornehult and Eriksson, 1987)

Found the above on a Firearms Tutorial website!

Maybe with the "Cheney" incident in full flight, why don't we all discuss whether the banning of firearms will help lower US's death rate.

http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNINTRO.html

James Brady did joke the other day that now he knows why Dick Cheney has always been trying to get him to come along on a hunting trip.

yolland said:
James Brady did joke

He loves the smell of gunpowder
By John Kenney
JOHN KENNEY has just finished his first novel.

February 15, 2006

VICE PRESIDENT Dick Cheney accidentally shot documentary filmmaker Michael Moore yesterday as Moore was walking out of a Manhattan Denny's.

A spokesperson for the vice president said that it was a "complete accident" and that Cheney felt "horrible." The White House released a statement saying that the shooting was "just bad timing. Vice President Cheney, who is well-versed in firearms safety, was merely sitting in a shrub, wearing camouflage, outside of a Denny's frequented by Mr. Moore." The statement went on to say that Cheney had been in the shrub for "several days." Moore is said to have suffered only minor injuries and was released from the hospital.

IN ANOTHER BIZARRE accident, Cheney mistakenly shot every Democratic member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. A White House spokesman said that the vice president feels "bad, but not that bad." An aide to Cheney said that the vice president "happened to be in the committee chambers, under a chair, when he stood up to put on a pair of chaps, accidentally shooting the committee members, stopping to reload three times." Remarkably, the committee members were largely unhurt and are expected to make complete recoveries.

THE WHITE HOUSE was put on the defensive again today when Air Force Two was forced to make an emergency landing 25 miles west of New York City after a loss of cabin pressure because of the accidental shooting of former FEMA Director Michael D. Brown and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. Both men have recently come under criticism for their handling of the federal response to Hurricane Katrina. Cheney was said to be "laughing, but also deeply concerned" when he was awoken from a nap after accidentally shooting the men at close range. Typically, shotguns are not allowed on either Air Force One or Two, but Cheney is, the statement said, "a seasoned hunter and also planned to accidentally shoot both men." Both Brown and Chertoff are expected to make complete recoveries, although it remains unclear as to why Brown was duct-taped to the wing of the plane.

A White House spokesman later added that the vice president had been on his way to New York City to accidentally shoot New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd.

SEN. HILLARY Rodham Clinton miraculously escaped injury today after Cheney accidentally ran up to her motorcade and accidentally shot at her car. The White House said the vice president "tripped."

"These things happen," a White House spokesman said. "Guns, while completely safe, are also dangerous."

A member of the vice president's staff said Cheney apologized to the former first lady and potential presidential candidate in a handwritten note.

"I'm sorry I almost shot you. But know that I will try again and will also be sorry then too. I like the sound a gun makes and the smell of the gunpowder. 'Flint' is a neat word. "

Well, joking aside, even if gun control measures are in place, hunting guns are most certainly going to be permitted. So, no, it wouldn't have prevented Cheney's little mishap.

Melon

the iron horse said:
fly so high,

Can you post the link that supports these
stats?

Here's what I found on my first search:

Leading cause of death in the U.S. 2002:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005110.html

Yeah sure! I meant to edit my thread to include the link but i got side tracked, when you take a look on the link you will also see the tables that were missing in the article to show comparisons with other countries.

I will contact the administrator to help me add it to my post!

http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/GUNS/GUNINTRO.html

fly so high! said:

In the U.S. for 2001, there were 29,573 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 16,869; Homicide 11,348; Accident 802; Legal Intervention 323; Undetermined 231.(CDC, 2004) This makes firearms injuries one of the top ten causes of death in the U.S. The number of firearms-related injuries in the U.S., both fatal and non-fatal, increased through 1993, but has since declined steadily.(CDC, 2001) However, firearms injuries remain a leading cause of death in the U.S., particularly among youth (CDC, 2004).

Child safety is an important issue. Firearms injury is the second leading cause of non-natural death in childhood and adolescence. (CDC, 2004) Accidental shooting deaths are most commonly associated with one or more children playing with a gun they found in the home. (Choi, et al, 1994) The person pulling the trigger is a friend, family member, or the victim. (Harruff, 1992)

With these facts, i was wondering what you all thought on this subject!

Well, get ready to ban swimming pools then...More children die each year by accidental drowning then by firearms...

Fly So High, based on the quote you want us to focus on, I think the issue is what kind of firearms they're talking about. There are a lot of accidents with hunting rifles because the parents are irresponsible with their guns.

I'm usually a bit right-of-center politically, but when it comes to guns, I fully support more control. I'm not saying ban them altogether, but hunting rifles should be more difficult to obtain and should be kept in locked cases. Other weapons should be banned altogether. NO ONE needs assault weapons, but if people are obsessed with practicing and learning to shoot them, these guns could be available at certified firing ranges where they are kept.

Abomb-baby said:
Well, get ready to ban swimming pools then...More children die each year by accidental drowning then by firearms...

Whereas I don't agree with gun control, this argument doesn't make sense.

One is designed to kill and the other isn't. That's a dumb analogy.

I've wrestled with the gun control issue for many years. But I just haven't seen any evidence that controling the weapon reduces the use of.

Until I see that evidence, I stand by the motto that guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Abomb-baby said:

Having said that, does America have mandatory laws involved with the fencing of pools, if they don't maybe thats a another issue to address:shrug:

We would also need to ask ourselves why automobiles do not have speed limiters - considering we have a national speed limit. High speeds lead to deaths as well.

fly so high! said:
Yeah.....but potential murderers don't tend to reach for the nearest swimming pool or car when they are pissed off with someone!

But they do reach for the nearest baseball bat, crowbar, or kitchen knife. Better ban those as well. If we ban alcohol we could prevent DUI's and save a lot of lives as well. If we make drugs illegal we could prevent people from overdosing and driving under the influence, saving even more lives.........oh, wait that is already illegal and hasn't prevented anything!

fly so high! said:
Yeah.....but potential murderers don't tend to reach for the nearest swimming pool or car when they are pissed off with someone!

The operative word here is "reach" - a deliberate action, a choice.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Fly So High, based on the quote you want us to focus on, I think the issue is what kind of firearms they're talking about. There are a lot of accidents with hunting rifles because the parents are irresponsible with their guns.

I'm usually a bit right-of-center politically, but when it comes to guns, I fully support more control. I'm not saying ban them altogether, but hunting rifles should be more difficult to obtain and should be kept in locked cases. Other weapons should be banned altogether. NO ONE needs assault weapons, but if people are obsessed with practicing and learning to shoot them, these guns could be available at certified firing ranges where they are kept.

I tried to find out what guns they were basing their findings on but the tutorial did not specify.

I agree, i would not expect that all firearms should be banned, only the assault weapons (handguns). Most people who would use guns for hunting/recreation have their rifles locked up, i guess the "Cheney" incident does not really apply here (cause was just plain, dumb!)

What i want to find out about what you all thought of, is........the introduction of...........making it illegal to own a gun that's intended to kill/mane people in the USA.

I don't see why anyone outside of the military or police even needs to own a gun. :shrug:

Guns don't really have any valid, peaceful use. It's not as if anyone's out there hunting to feed the family because that's the only source of food they have. On the other hand, implements such as cricket bats, knives, and crowbars do actually have perfectly legitimate uses that do not physically harm anybody.

Axver said:
I don't see why anyone outside of the military or police even needs to own a gun. :shrug:

Guns don't really have any valid, peaceful use. It's not as if anyone's out there hunting to feed the family because that's the only source of food they have. On the other hand, implements such as cricket bats, knives, and crowbars do actually have perfectly legitimate uses that do not physically harm anybody.

Speak for yourself. MANY people America still hunt and in a way rely on hunting for food.

My hunting group (my dad and brother and I) shot 6 deer this last season. Being that beef is so expensive--usually $2.50 for ground beef and upwards of 6-7 per pound for a good beef steak-- that meat has saved me probably $700-1000 dollars this year alone. Not to mention what my father and brother saved.

"Guns don't really have any valid, peaceful use."

Yeah because only about 99.9 percent of guns are actually used for peaceful use. Hunting doesn't hurt anyone, and sports shooting is a hell of a lot of fun. That includes handguns and "assault weapons."

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
NO ONE needs assault weapons, but if people are obsessed with practicing and learning to shoot them, these guns could be available at certified firing ranges where they are kept.

See, an arguement like this is the type used after seeing the "scary" looking guns shown on t.v. shows.

"Assault weapons" as a term is a joke. Every gun out there can be used as an assualt weapon. The majority of crimes DO NOT involve the so called "assault weapons" like AK-47's, SKS's or AR-15's. Why? because those guns are too damn expensive for the criminals to own!

I guarantee you that someone using a soft-leaded bullet from a hunting rifle such as a .308 or 30-06 could do a hell of a lot more damage than an "assault weapon."

Axver said:

wrong, plenty of people here still rely on hunting for food.

If we are going to entertain the "no one needs argument", what else should we look at?

No one needs a car that travels faster than 30(?) miles an hour. High rates of speed lead to deaths.

No one needs ________

you could go on for days with the various items or activities that cause harm (or even death).

nbcrusader said:
If we are going to entertain the "no one needs argument", what else should we look at?

This was not the argument i wanted to entertain, and i certainly do not want to get into arguments over this thread!

I'm just curious on how you guys react to the original article regarding firearms!

The point of this thread is to find out how many of you (particurly Americans) would agree or not, to have owning a gun for defence purposes, illegal in the USA?

nbcrusader said:

No one needs a car that travels faster than 30(?) miles an hour. High rates of speed lead to deaths.

No one needs ________

you could go on for days with the various items or activities that cause harm (or even death).

come on, we obviously need cars going faster than THAT.

i might need to get somewhere really badly, on the other hand, as you might agree, i might also need to kill something really badly.

but i guess it's a matter of priorities :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom