Should homosexual couples be able to adopt kids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
We are writing persuasive papers in my comp class right now and this was an example given.

I know my stance, but was curious to see other peoples' opinions.

YES. My gay friends would make wonderful parents if they wanted kids.

yes, Hallelujah...that is really what I wanted to say (instead of the lame reference to how MY gay friends would make great parents :huh:)

Here I go.......

Well, I'll probably be the first to be flamed, but........

I don't think it's an ideal situation. I don't think single parenting is an ideal situation. God intended for children to have a mother and a father - *ideally* - I think that is His perfect plan. That said, this is not an ideal or perfect world, many types of family situations are not always brought about by choice.

I guess any type of one-on-one adult(parent) and child relationship has got to be better for a child than growing up in an orphanage or being shuffled from foster home to foster home. There are soooo many kids that need homes, I think anyone that is willing to love, feed, shelter, clothe, discipline, and educate a child should be able to.

Can they provide love? Then sure, or course they can adopt. I see a lot of bad "parents" out there, and it has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

But one thing that gay couples don't automatically provide that needs to be considered, and this also goes for these celebrities that are adopting as single mothers like Rosie, Ally McBeal, etc. is a close role model of each sex for the child. Every child regardless if they're a boy or girl needs a CONSISTENT male and female role in their life. If not men can grow up to not respect females in their life, or women could grow up to not trust or hate the males in their life etc. This can come in a form of an uncle, aunt, grandparent, whatever, but every child needs this. And if a gay couple adopts a child they need to make arrangements in their life for a "guardian" of the opposite sex to play a part in their childs life. But this is easy and by no means do I think it hinders a couples ability to raise a child.

Having witnessed so many horror shows calling themselves "families".......

I would say 100% YES.

LOVE and stability are two of the most important ingredients for a "family".

I would most definitely want this over abortion.

Peace (to all).

Speaking from my personal experience, I would have rather had another female parent who was loving, nurturing, and made me feel good about myself than a father who... well, you get the picture.

Parenting is the most important and toughest job in the world, and the standard should be how capable you are, not your sexual preference. I know that is so simplistic, but it's just my humble opinion.

this is not a flame, you know I really really like you

bonosloveslave said:
Well, I'll probably be the first to be flamed, but........

I don't think it's an ideal situation. I don't think single parenting is an ideal situation. God intended for children to have a mother and a father - *ideally* - I think that is His perfect plan. That said, this is not an ideal or perfect world, many types of family situations are not always brought about by choice.

BLSlave,

A lot of children are reared in less than ideal situations.
The question was not, Is this the most ideal?
Many singles are adopting now.

I don't want to live in a country were laws are made by what some people think *God's* intentions are.

I do want to live in a world with BLSlave and the freedom for her to express her opinions.

Last edited:
[ramble]I think they should have every right to adopt. These are pepole who are great parents and WANT to be parents. Why should they be allowed to adopt? Many parents don't want kids and treat them like crap but they can have children.
And about the "god's intention" thing. If God is so "powerful" why are there homosexuals in the first place. If God "doesnt want" homosexuals cos they go against God's intentions then why are there homosexuals in the first place? If God wants children to have a mother and a father then why doesnt he wriggle his nose and make it so? Some people call homosexuality "unnatural" and such but what is natural? If most people like listening to jazz music that is considered natural would a person who doesnt listen to jazz music be unnatural? I think it is what ever is natural for them is what should be so. It is harming no one so it really isnt a problem.[/ramble]
Thats was my ramble
*throws 2 pennies at comp screen*

In my hometown in New Jersey, there is a very well-known gay couple who have two boys (adopted). I believe they were once voted co-fathers of the year for fathers day. I come from a fairly conservative town too.

Yes, to answer your question.

Yes they should. No details, but I'm going to agree with what Gina Marie said.

Love, stability and an actual desire to raise children is more important to me than sexual preference.

I know several people who were raised by gay parents and they are normal, well adjusted human beings with no major problems due to their parents sexual orientation.

Sweetie pies.......

deep [/i][B] BLSlave said:
[ramble]
And about the "god's intention" thing. If God is so "powerful" why are there homosexuals in the first place. If God "doesnt want" homosexuals cos they go against God's intentions then why are there homosexuals in the first place? If God wants children to have a mother and a father then why doesnt he wriggle his nose and make it so? Some people call homosexuality "unnatural" and such but what is natural?

Raven, my darling sweetheart, unfortunately that is a whole 'nother hornet's nest, but let me just say this:
God is powerful, but He gives us choice. If He didn't give us choice, we would be nothing more than robots. I don't know precisely why God allows there to be widows and orphans and all sorts of bad things that happen in the world, but I do know that we are only seeing a very teeny-tiny piece of the puzzle - everything happens for a reason. God had a grand and perfect plan when He created the world, and alot of things changed when Adam and Eve made their choice way back when. There are so many things that happen in this world that absolutely break His heart, and sometimes (many times) I don't understand why He allows things to happen. But as a Christian, He has promised me that all things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. I may not understand alot of things, but I am trusting that He is still in control and even if it seems really bad, it's all gonna work out in the end.

*waits patiently with fire extinguisher*

Yas, gay people should adopt children and raise them in a loving, stable home. It doesn't matter if it's a couple or one person. As long as the child is loved, fed, loved, sheltered, loved, helped with homework, loved, defended, loved, disciplined, and loved, it just doesn't matter.

Why do you say "no", diamond? Just curious.

I definitely support homosexual couples adopting children. I don't see any reason why they can't. Your being a good parent shouldn't be based on your sexual preference.

To BLS, you mentioned something about a strong male and female influence in a child's life-homosexual couples can find friends that will help aid that influence for the child-a lesbian couple can have a close guy friend there for the male influence, and vice versa, there's a solution to that problem.

Angela

Well I'll probably get flamed for this, but

Hell no! :mad:
That's evil and wrong!

Children need a mother and a father, because both offer different things to a child!

They can be loved, raised well etc etc but it's still wrong, it wasn't Gods intention.

I find that extremely disgusting, and I feel sorry for the child! :no:

Last edited:
pr0digy said:

That's evil and wrong!

Children need a mother and a father, because both offer different things to a child!

They can be loved, raised well etc etc but it's still wrong, it wasn't Gods intention.

This is why I hate these threads. I was waiting for the rabid heterosexist response. :|

I find you extremely disgusting. God told me so.

Melon

I don't think this a flame. But I may be wrong.

pr0digy said:

That's evil and wrong!

You're right. Kids should get shuttled from foster home to foster home to group home, then put out to fend for themselves when they turn 18 and the state is no longer responsible for them. That is preferable to years of love, caring, and nuturing. And yes, prodigy, EVERY child in my class has a mother and a father. Sure! Since that's the way your God intended it, that's the way reality is!! Yep, and these perfect parents love and respect their children, too! Yeah, and they don't mistreat them or abuse them, either, because your God told them not to! Everything's perfect here. :rolleyes:

Re: I don't think this a flame. But I may be wrong.

martha said:

EVERY child in my class has a mother and a father.

Martha....where are you teaching? Every child in my class over 7 years has come from the perfect two parent home. The fathers are especially supportive, and attend conferences...

And I think to myself.....

What a wonderful world!!!!!!

Peace

melon said:

This is why I hate these threads. I was waiting for the rabid heterosexist response. :|

I find you extremely disgusting. God told me so.

Melon

Melon, I find you extremely disgusting. The Edge told me so.

But to answer the question--yes, I think it should be legal. It's better than having one parent (I should imagine that even the most conservative person's objections to gay parenthood should pale in comparison to his objections to absentee parenthood, which is legal) and a hell of a lot better than having zero parents (which the child to be adopted currently has).

Well, back to work. See you all next month/year/whenever.

Last edited:
while I wish every child could have a wonderful, safe and happy family experience with a mother, a father and pet dog, the simple fact is there are millions of mother/father combinations that have no business raising children; there are also millions of kids out there who desperately need caring, loving, supportive homes/families -- homosexual couples have proven they are perfectly capable of filling this urgent need in a responsible and nurturing way

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom