Shock and Awe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was watching my alma mater, Syracuse University, play in the NCAA tournament, then CBS broke in with this horrible bombing of Baghdad.
There are no words...except I pray that no one innocent gets hurt or killed. It looks so awful. My heart goes out to the people of Baghdad who just want to live their lives in peace, and are going through this instead.
A very sad and somewhat scared Diane

Scarletwine said:
OMG, It looks like no civilians will survive.

:no: :no: :sad: :sad:

Please note that the lights are still on in Baghdad. Civilians are not targets. Civilian infrastructure is not targeted. (You may recall in 1991, the power grid was disrupted early in the war).

The Republican Guard may not survive.

Scarletwine said:
OMG, It looks like no civilians will survive.

:no: :no: :sad: :sad:

the bombs are aimed at military areas, and selected targets, and as little civilian areas as possible

Last edited:
they just said on CNN that they didn't start the war with "Shock and Awe" as originally planned also in part because they wanted to come in and secure the oil feilds first with the ground troops.

ABEL said:
the bombs are aimed at military areas, and selected targets, and as little civilian areas as possible
don't be completely naive ABEL. have you not seen the TV?

We should be careful - there is a lot of speculation as to why things are happening in the order they are. Many of the commentators are former military commanders. They don't provide the official line.

Angel said:

It is true civilians will feel the impact (sight, sound, vibration) of these bombs you see on TV; but, given the advanced nature of the weapons used, it is hyperbole to suggest that "no civilians will survive".

Angel said:

Angel, he's right. If you look at the TV, you will see that military planning buildings, and Saddams palaces are the targets at the moment. Are there chances for civilian casualties? Of course, these are missles and bombs, so fire, explosions, etc... are going to spread. But they are not targeting civilian sites, even though Saddam stations anti-aircraft weapons on top and next to schools, mosks and apartment buildings. What a guy.:mad:

I am not saying they are targeting civilians, but peoples belief that a huge population of Iraqi people won't suffer is like living with you head in the sand. The city is on fire. :| It's war. People die in war. Believing they won't is naive. No disrespect intended to ABEL, I like her alot. I am just saying. Let's not be naive people.

nbcrusader said:

It is true civilians will feel the impact (sight, sound, vibration) of these bombs you see on TV; but, given the advanced nature of the weapons used, it is hyperbole to suggest that "no civilians will survive".

Sorry.
Your right and I edited it. It was a gut reaction to so much death.

Scarletwine said:

Sorry.
Your right and I edited it. It was a gut reaction to so much death.

I understand and share your feelings. I know there is an element of society that sees this and thinks "cool, just like my video game!"

Now, more than ever, we should be praying for the comfort and security of the Iraqi people, that this conflict be brief, and that their lives return to one filled with peace and joy.

I guess what we can all agree on is that it's too bad that the first little strike didn't do enough to make the top Iraqi leaders surrender or defect. There were many rumours that it was happening, but it looks like it didn't. :|

And I agree there will be civilian deaths, I didn't mean to come across like I don't believe that. Very sad indeed.

nbcrusader said:

I understand and share your feelings. I know there is an element of society that sees this and thinks "cool, just like my video game!"

I'm beginning to think most of them work in DC. :|

Angel said:

no offense taken, that is why I said "as little civilian areas as possible" not "no civilian areas". The technology we have now is more advanced then what we had in Desert Storm and wars past, so hopefully more lives will be spared, but this is war, and saddly innocent lives will be affected.

Back
Top Bottom