Sex Offender Runs For Mayor In Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Should it matter, should people not vote for him because of it? Can people just look at someone's current character and overlook something like that and believe that they have turned their life around?

Sex offender runs for mayor in Texas

Man never convicted in 2004 Internet arrest involving 15-year-old girl
The Associated Press Sun., March. 23, 2008

WILMER, Texas - A registered sex offender running for mayor of his small town said he hopes voters can overlook his 2004 arrest in which he was caught in a police sting trying to arrange sex with a 15-year-old girl on the Internet.

Brian Sliter said late Friday he accepts responsibility for his arrest and has received counseling that has helped "turn my life around."

"I don't expect anybody in the public to condone what I did and I don't expect anybody to forgive what I did," said Sliter, 42. "What I do hope is people look at my current character ... . People can rehabilitate and make themselves a better person."

Sliter was arrested after arranging a meeting with whom he thought was a teenager, according to state records. He was charged with attempting to commit sexual assault of a child and placed on 10 years probation, records show.

Sliter is eligible to run for office in Wilmer, a town of about 3,400 just south of Dallas, because he was never convicted. He received deferred adjudication, which means he will not be convicted if he successfully completes probation.

"Someone told me, 'Make something positive come from this,'" Sliter said. "I feel really bad about it, really embarrassed about it, really awful about it. I am really glad there is no direct victim. I thank God for that every day."

Sliter, an accountant, has been open about his arrest, even mentioning it in a campaign flyer.

His opponent, incumbent Mayor Don Hudson, has said having a registered sex offender as mayor would embarrass the city.

The election is scheduled for May 10.

if he's paid his dues to society, he is more than entitled to run.

it's up to voters as to how this will work against him.

Gotta love loopholes...10 years probation, but he's not a "convict". Arrest = poor judgement = poor choice for mayor. While I don't have a problem with him running I wouldn't vote for him.

I would have some serious issues with this. Trying to lure a 15-year-old into sex is a pretty gigantic lapse in judgement. And he can't blame it on his youth, because it was only four years ago.

"I am really glad there is no direct victim." Wtf? Was he thinking that when he was arranging his little date?

martha said:

"I am really glad there is no direct victim." Wtf? Was he thinking that when he was arranging his little date?

Wasn't it because it was a sting, so it's not like even if he had been successful, he would've been taking advantage of an actual 15 year old girl? That's how I interpreted it.

AttnKleinkind said:

Wasn't it because it was a sting, so it's not like even if he had been successful, he would've been taking advantage of an actual 15 year old girl? That's how I interpreted it.

Yeah, I thought that too, but I think it's a little disingenuous to use that as an excuse. When he was making the date, he fully thought there was going to be a teen-age girl attending it with him. :|

Back
Top Bottom